Isolation phones without sickness for travel?
Sep 12, 2008 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jwalsh1

Head-Fier
Odd title, but Ive been trolling for awhile trying to get a good read this question of mine. I was hoping you could help.

Im leaving on an overseas trip in about a month and decided Id like to treat myself to a nice set of phones to listen to my ipod with.

The trouble is Im pretty much a wuss when it comes to flying and dont fly all that well. Im wondering whether or not a sealing type earphone like the Shure 210 will cause motion sickness problems in flight? Will the phones block the pressure changes to a point that is will make you sick? Or, will the location of the sound be such that it could cause middle ear disturbances to mimic motion sickness?

Im very used to earplugs. I wear them at work often and have actually go through training every year on their proper insertion etc etc. I dont have any issues with the closed in feeling, in fact its kind of nice.

Ive flown with the stock earbuds with no troubles other than they sound like garbage and are uncomfortable and I cant hear the music over the noise of the plane anyway. Ive flown with cheapy sony "normal" headphones but after awhile they can get uncomfortable and the sound isolation isnt all that great.

These are a couple of 8 hour flights, will something like an in-ear isolation device be ok to wear for this amount of time, and if youve done it, is it pretty comfortable for the duration?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 14
I have problems sometimes with pressure changes because of allergies. I never have problems flying with my UM1s. You can't use electronic devices during the accent and decent, so it's not too much of an issue. For an 8 hour flight, I can't wear IEMs that go very far in to my ear, like the SE210, although others can. The UM1 doesn't go very far in so it's much more comfortable.

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 14
Thats great to know. Those seem to get pretty good reviews. Ill look further into those.

When I read about people "getting used to them" (the IEM's) are they referring to the plugged feeling like you get when wearing earplugs/ear protection or getting used to how the music sounds?

Sep 12, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 14
Mostly how they feel. Sound wise, it's not that different than full sized closed headphones.

You can usually tell from pictures if they go far in your ear or not, although not always. If there is a right or sharp angle, the body of the IEM will keep it from going to far in your ear.
  1. The top of the line Shures (5xx)
  2. Westone UM1/UM2
  3. Klipsch Custom 1, 2, and 3
  4. Ones with dynamic drivers, like the Senn CX300 and others that looks like them. I don't think any with dynamic drivers can go far in your ear.

There may be others.

UEs are probably the ones that have the most complaints about fit and comfort. I couldn't use them for longer than 15 minutes before the pain became too much.

Foam tips tend to isolate better than silicone tips, except maybe triflange tips that aren't comfortable for me. You can get Comply tips that fit most IEMs and the Shure black foam tips fit the Westones. They're what I use on the UM1.

Sep 12, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #6 of 14
@scompton the v-moda vibes go farther into my ear than anything ive tried (entire IEM sits past my ear flap) and they use a dynamic driver - theyre not $75 in SQ but i think they are in inearness and comfort

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #7 of 14
What you want to remember when using IEM in flight is, wait till the airplane reaches its cruising altitude and your inner ears becomes equilibrium with the cabin pressure before you uses your IEM.

Sep 12, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@scompton the v-moda vibes go farther into my ear than anything ive tried (entire IEM sits past my ear flap) and they use a dynamic driver - theyre not $75 in SQ but i think they are in inearness and comfort

That's why I tried to qualify, a little, my statement about dynamics
biggrin.gif
Basically with all IEMs/canal phones, they go in as far as the body or the cord allows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you want to remember when using IEM in flight is, wait till the airplane reaches its cruising altitude and your inner ears becomes equilibrium with the cabin pressure before you uses your IEM.

If I'm having problems with my ears, I wait for cruising altitude to use them. Normally though, I start using them with when they allow electronic devices to be turned on.

If I was flying today, I might not use them at all. My ears are popping just sitting here because the pollen is so bad.

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #10 of 14
Ive seen some responses from people saying how so and so set made them nauseus. Whats that from and is that common? I heard it said about the CX300 specifically.

I may simply be misunderstanding how these fit in, or how well they seal. I would think if Im having some trouble with them I could always not seat them all the way. Sure sound goes down but its not like its all or nothing.

I mean these arent like "thhhuuuuop" totally and utterly sealed are they? Are they more like the triple flange or foam ear protection at work etc?

Further I dont seem to have pressure problems in airplanes too often. Obviously if Ive got a cold or something thats a different story but the combo of gum and ear popping usually works.

I think my question is answered...in ear phones wont likely cause you to get sick or anything due to the close proximity of the sound or the pressure issues. It doesnt seem that theres an overwhelming response otherwise.

I think Ill give them a shot and check them out for a while before hand and see how it goes. Thanks again!

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #11 of 14
The ones that go far into your ear are very much like foam or triflange hearing protection. They're not that hard to fit. It just takes a little trial and error to figure out which sized tips are the correct size. It may not be the same size for each ear, and it may not be the same size for ones that go far in your ear and ones that just go into your ear canal.

Sep 12, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #13 of 14
Remember, there are two sides to the ear drum. The allergies and congestion affect the INNER ear, not the outer ear. Even if the IEM theoretically sealed well enough to prevent pressure equalization, all it takes is a small seal break for < 1 sec. to equalize outer ear pressure. Just crack the seal at the first sign of discomfort.

Since I sailed as a kid, motion sickness is not an issue for me. If it's a concern, why not take a Dramamine right before takeoff and then have ONE drink to calm your nerves. After that, kick back, relax and enjoy some great tunes.

How tight is your budget? The earphones mentioned are in the +/- $100 category. If you can get up to $200, you can get the mid-level, custom-fit Freq's with a 2-year warranty. FreQ of Nature For $50 more ($250), you can upgrade to Livewires with swivel connectors & removable wires. Live Wires Custom Fit In-Ear Monitors / Headphones With a good impression, fit and comfort should be unmatched.

Sep 12, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #14 of 14
Hm, interesting thought on the customs, I hadnt thought of that route. Ill look into that.

Im thinking now about going 100 or less and seeing if I like them before dropping more money, but Ill look into it. Thanks!

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back