Isolation feet for high end amps?
Dec 24, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #16 of 44
I use 4 Audioquest Sorbogel Feet in a triangular pattern on my SACD/DVD-Audio Player. I noticed a difference in both audio & video quality. I'm going to use a AQ Sorbathane Sheet in between my DAP & Headphone Amp as well.
Good Luck & Happy Holidays
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Dec 24, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. It's not that much opinion oriented as in appreciation of music. It's more about the physics.

We do not know what you hear, how you hear, or what you like to hear.
The best way to evaluate these type of tweaks is to try them in your system with your ears.
I use black diamond racing platforms and cones, FIM platforms, and wooden blocks with glass marbles.

Dec 24, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #18 of 44
Three Ceraballs under my PS AUDIO GCHA work wonderful.
Even the places take an effect.
I placed two at the back and one in front (under the transformer)

Dec 24, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #19 of 44
Dec 25, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #21 of 44
I use Symposium Acoustics products.

Roller Block Jr under my Mono Amps and my Speakers.
rbjrlg.jpg

and RollerBlock Series II under my DAC and Preamp.
Series2+SiloMedium.jpg

Of course the amps sit on dedicated Symposium Ultra-Platforms.
UltraPCouplersMed.jpg

Then primary system (Turntable, DAC, Preamp) components sit on a Symposium Isis rack. While secondary equipment sits on a Billy Bags 5505.
Racks.jpg

Vibration control is a major issue once your playing in the big leagues.

Dec 25, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #22 of 44
I Use the Brass Footers from Mapleshade
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
. A little photo dyslexic. I can tell the difference.

Dec 25, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #23 of 44
^Yes...indeed at the high end level it is essential and I do not claim to have reach that level yet but maybe have touched on it some.

Dec 25, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone here uses:

Iso-Feet.JPG

Yes, I have a set somewhere. Right now for stand offs I am and prefer using pen wood stock blocks in several locations. These are cheap and work very well and since they come in various exotic woods they can be very dense which is exactly what isolation blocks need to be. They are about four-five inches in length and come in half to about three-quarters inch on each side.

Feb 8, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #27 of 44
In addition to the rubber and cork blocks, two other cheap alternatives to try are Parts Express brass cones ($25 for 4) mounted to, e.g., a cheap wood cutting board (try IKEA or whatever -- any kind of wood will provide significant vibration absorbtion) or, for a different flavor, Vibrapods (about $5 each).

I keep a bunch of each (and other) cheap tweaks around to try with equipment. Unfortunately, for most setups, trial and error is the only way --and to me, trial and error is only made tolerable by inexpensive tweaks. I couldn't imagine doing it with hundreds of dollars of boutique carbon fiber cones etc. With the cheap tweaks, even if it is only the placebo effect at work . . . it still works at a reasonable price! After all, this is a hobby, not a physics experiment.

I do have to say that I use an expensive air suspension stand for my turntable (Arcici), but this is only common sense when footfalls and closing doors obviously transmit unwelcome vibrations to the tone arm and cartridge. I also use inexpensive air suspension platforms for, e.g, tube preamps, because you don't need an engineering degree to figure out that vacuum tubes are all, to some extent, microphonic, which means any isolation you can give them from common household vibrations (footfalls, closing doors, refrigerators, furnaces) will help keep the noise floor down. Again, this is a hobby, so it is supposed to be fun! Experiment!

One other example (computer geeks will think it silly), but I put my big (terabyte) hard disks on a big pad of foam rubber and a wood base on top of the foam. May not make any difference to the sound, but it sure as hell cuts down on the mechanical vibration from the drive -- it turns an audible whine into silence.

Regards, James

Feb 8, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

Anyone here uses:

I have eight pieces of those. Recently I bought some vibrapods to replace them. Couldn't hear the difference but they look better and they aren't that expensive either.

The Vibrapod Company

Feb 9, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

Anyone here uses:

Iso-Feet.JPG

Yup with a cutting board platform. Like'em alot, and cheap.

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it a good idea to do this, even for the seperate power supply too? I see some people doing it. Since isolation feet are cheap I figure why not?

I believe in absorbent footers for most components which create mechanical vibration. With an external power supply you would be eliminating most such vibration anyway so a footer would seem superfluous. Possibly it would give some isolation from speaker sound though.

I generally use Sorbethane footers which give subtle but useful improvements. As others note, the effects are greatest with things like cd players.

I am very puzzled as to how any such device could make sound worse. Could it amplify the vibrations if the mechanical impedance is wrong? Or is the vibrational distortion creating some euphonic distortion, whose absence exposes other problems with the system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back