Isolation feet for high end amps?
Feb 17, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #31 of 44
While they work for the purpose of isolating components from external vibration, those rubber footers trap the vibration generated by the component itself inside the chassis, therefore can only be considered a partial cure (paraphrasing from Boston Audio and Symposium Acoustics, and Mapleshade websites) I use Boston Audio's Tuneblocks, and every audio component (DAC, transport, power conditioner, amps) I have used them with sounded better with them. White paper is available on their website at boston-audio.com

I introduced the Tuneblock SE to an engineer friend who wasn't using any vibration control devices at the time and was skeptical of what difference/improvement those devices can make a while ago, and he was absolutely floored by the sound with one set of Tuneblocks under his CD player. This guy is an engineer who holds BS and MS in mechanical engineering from a prestigious institution, so I'd imagine he's pretty good at physics. Of course those Tuneblocks never made it out of his place.
The Mapleshade footers are nice also, the sound is warmer with them; but they only sound great if you use the footers with their Maple platform, though (personal experience). The platform would then act as "mechanical ground" for the vibration.

Feb 17, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #34 of 44
Vibration control plays a MAJOR part in the voicing and sound of the system. Every component behaves differently and reacts differently to various products and types of isolation.

I use hard coupling, decoupling and component specific vibration control devices:

1) Symposium Ultra platform under power conditioner
symposium_ultra.jpg

2) 4 shelf Stillpoints ESS rack
ESS-UK-leveled.jpg

3) Sistrum SP 004 (two of them) under monoblock tube amps
SP004single.jpg

4) Sistrum SP 1 (two of them) under each speaker
SP1.jpg

5) Symposium Rollerblock Series 2+ under my Dac which is sitting on the ESS rack
RollerblockSetLarge.jpg

6) Silent Running Audio V3 custom shelves for my Preamp section and its power supply:
B52-SRA.jpg

7) Two Mapleshade 4" thick air dried maple blocks coupling the ESS rack to the carpet floor and providing a base for the sistrum coupled monoblocks
platform_mainpic.jpg

This evolved vibration controlled mechanism developed over many "experiments" and listening tests. Sometimes vibration measurements were good, but the scenario failed my listening test
smily_headphones1.gif
Trial and error really.

~G

Feb 23, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #35 of 44
I have tried Aerius (3 points under a component, with a movable base) - they are pretty swanky. Fully utilise laws of physics. Can't say they definitely improve the sound in all situations, however, they definitely work in any environment susceptible to vibrations / resonance.

6moons audio reviews: Gregitek Stab 1 + Aerius

could not find they own site.

If on a budget, cut squash balls into 2 half and use 3 of them per component. Works very well. If you have heavy equipment, you can use 3 full squash balls without cutting them...

Feb 23, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #36 of 44
I can see some type of isolation control possibly required for speaker systems because the speaker will cause some type of vibration that may need to be controlled. But why would vibration control be necessary for headphone systems unless you dance next to your equipment?

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiosceptic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can see some type of isolation control possibly required for speaker systems because the speaker will cause some type of vibration that may need to be controlled. But why would vibration control be necessary for headphone systems unless you dance next to your equipment?

How about mechanical vibrations with CD players, vibrations from transformers? The latter may be small, but they are also sitting close to components and vibrating them as much or more as air-borne sound waves. Some of this vibration can lead to microphonics.

Microphonics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #38 of 44
audiosceptic,

I have found vibration control to be of extreme importance and VERY noticeable in a headphone system.

I know you have a B52 amp...I would highly recommend you use a set of Symposium Rollerblocks under the preamp section for now and see how it changes the sound. If you like what you hear, go ahead and do the same for the power supply.

Just try it and see. If it doesn't work out, you can resell it with no/minimal loss.

~G

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaizada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
audiosceptic,

I have found vibration control to be of extreme importance and VERY noticeable in a headphone system.

I know you have a B52 amp...I would highly recommend you use a set of Symposium Rollerblocks under the preamp section for now and see how it changes the sound. If you like what you hear, go ahead and do the same for the power supply.

Just try it and see. If it doesn't work out, you can resell it with no/minimal loss.

~G

isolation for the B52 power supply is even more important in my experience.

Feb 24, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #40 of 44
For tube amps, should you use something that absorbs vibration (like sorbothane) or dissipate it (like brass cones)?

I'm using brass cones right now and my tube amp slides around on top of them since its lightweight and my interconnects are extremly stiff. Any sort of rearrangement and my amp can slip off.

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by tke398 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For tube amps, should you use something that absorbs vibration (like sorbothane) or dissipate it (like brass cones)?

I'm using brass cones right now and my tube amp slides around on top of them since its lightweight and my interconnects are extremly stiff. Any sort of rearrangement and my amp can slip off.

This is trial and error.
Even the placement of the "devices" can have an impact.

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #42 of 44
I do have 2 4" maple platforms being made by this dude: AudiogoN ForSale: Isolationstation solid maple for my zoethecus racks to put under my Rega turntable and B52. The main reason I purchased these was because the zoethecus z-pod platforms are not big enough to provide a solid footing for the B52 and the Rega. We'll see if they provide any audio benefit. I'm highly skeptical at this point but we'll see.

Mar 5, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by tke398 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You can try screw-in type of brass footers.

Mar 9, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #44 of 44
I use Cardas wood blocks under my TRL amp. I spoke to the designer, he told me he always uses wood blocks under his components. Honestly, I can't say I heard an immediate improvement. But for $30, I figured, why not?

I guess the test would be to take them out and see if I notice a degradation in sound. I know with other tweaks, cables, etc, I didn't hear a difference when I installed them, but after I was used to the sound and removed them, that's when I noticed what they'd been doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back