Isolating sound so that it goes down not up
Jan 22, 2014 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

deeda53

New Head-Fier
Hey -

Figured this forum would be a good place to ask. Having problems with apartment neighbors downstairs and want to give them a taste of their own medicine by pumping music into their apartment (already tried the more rational approach).  Thing is my upstairs neighbors are cool and I don't want to bug them.  Is there anyway to get my sound and subwoofer to travel down but not up?  Would covering it up with pillows be the best option? 

Thanks.  Sorry for the strange request.

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 21
What kinds of problems are you downstairs neighbours giving you for you to act irrationally? If they are noisy, have you tried telling them that they are affecting your living environment?

For your question though, you need to soundproof your ceiling and sides something like

and blast the speakers downwards obviously.

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 21
  What kinds of problems are you downstairs neighbours giving you for you to act irrationally? If they are noisy, have you tried telling them that they are affecting your living environment?

For your question though, you need to soundproof your ceiling and sides something like

and blast the speakers downwards obviously.

thanks.  Yes I've tried to tell them that.  I'm in college and the apartment is in the area so its pretty loud.  But its obnoxious when it lasts all day.  I've already tried dealing with the issue with the person downstairs, then management and no luck.  So leaves me little options.

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 21
oh it's a dorm like thing, well its just part of being in college dorms and a college "experience". I recommend looking for actual apartment housing where the people around you aren't necessarily students. Mine has families top and bottom so it's pretty much a guarantee my place is silent around 11 pm. 

Also have fans + white noise machine running 24/7 to drown it out and its not good enough...

How do you sleep with white noise 24/7? 0.o

good luck with your studies

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #7 of 21
Great kindling in a house fire too.

Jan 23, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #10 of 21
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize he was going to 'practical' as well.

ph34r.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #11 of 21
Pillows are going to be your best, cheap, quick option I can think of. Having the speakers on the floor pointing down should do a lot already . . . actually, you could just do the subwoofer as that's what's going to get through the most. Have you thought about taking up jump-roping as a hobby?

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #13 of 21
How about just turning the face of your sub down onto the floor? Give them some conductive vibrations through the floor!

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 21
bolt these to the floor: http://www.amazon.com/Theater-Aura-shakers-subwoofer-amplifier/dp/B0079NPDIK

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #15 of 21
)))(((())))SENSAROUND((()))((()))!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back