Isolated over-the-ear headphones under $70 US
post-1416517
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 10

Muncher17

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Posts
4
Likes
0
I'm sure this is nothing new, but unfortunately I can't figure out how to search through the forum history to find threads that pose a similar question.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good value sealed headphone under $70? Since I'd like to use the headphones at work without bothering co-workers, I'd like the sound leakage to be minimal. (I've read many positive reviews of the Grados, but from what I understand those are not great as far as sound leakage is concerned.)

Right now I am considering the Sennheiser HD 201 and HD 202, although I'm not very clear on the differences between these two sets of headphones. I don't know too much about the market though, so I would be very open to suggestions.

Thanks!
 
     Share This Post       
post-1416620
Post #2 of 10

NiceCans

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 22, 2004
Messages
3,875
Reaction score
13
Joined
Aug 22, 2004
Posts
3,875
Likes
13
While I have heard neither the HD201 or HD202, as per the reviews I have read by those who have heard them . . . . the HD201's are much better sounding. Do a forum search on "HD201" and see.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1416641
Post #3 of 10

gshan

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
3,667
Reaction score
10
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Posts
3,667
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Muncher17

Right now I am considering the Sennheiser HD 201 and HD 202, although I'm not very clear on the differences between these two sets of headphones. I don't know too much about the market though, so I would be very open to suggestions.

Thanks!



Both being in the $2x dollar range, the HD202 has more of a thumping bass signature. It feels like there are small subwoofers inside the earcups. The sound is noticeably muffled/veiled if you have a better closed can for comparison. Isolation is pretty good, but you might get warm/sweaty ears.

The HD201 doesn't have the same bass thunder, but still has a good amount of fun bass. It's a whole lot cleaner and more enjoyable. The sound is more balanced and less muffled by far in comparison with the 202. I've found that the 202/212 respond well to an inexpensive portable amp (much of the muffled veil disappears), however there isn't not much improvement to the already fairly balanced 201 in the same regard. The 201s are more comfortable than the 202s because they clamp less, and feel lighter around the ears.

In the $70, imo you should consider the HD280s (http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage....gle&id=1004080). These will be vastly superior in sound, and present a more accurate but very good bass that might not be considered "fun" by some. There's also a slightly used pair being sold in the FS/FT forums for $60 iirc.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1416660
Post #4 of 10

Muncher17

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Posts
4
Likes
0
Thanks for the replies.

I finally figured out how to search the forums, so that has helped me get some more opinions as well.


I'll read more about the HD280, since that sounds like it would be a good fit. (I saw a link to refurbushed ones for around $60 without shipping). If the quality is a definite step up from the HD201, then I think I'd be more inclined to go for those. Also, the BeyerDynamics DT231 looks promising, although I haven't read too much about those yet.

So now it looks like it is between HD201/HD280/DT231
 
     Share This Post       
post-1416693
Post #5 of 10

Ttvetjanu

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 15, 2005
Messages
1,263
Reaction score
16
Joined
May 15, 2005
Posts
1,263
Likes
16
     Share This Post       
post-1416712
Post #6 of 10

JB.

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Messages
316
Reaction score
10
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Posts
316
Likes
10
The quick answer to the thread title is HD280, no question. If you don't require that much isolation, and just want a circumaural can with nice SQ, you should consider the HD201. For similar isolation and great SQ, Buy.com has the ER6i for $81.99, though you can grab a pair for $51.99 if you get the buy.com Visa and wait to complete checkout until the application has processed (usually takes a few days). Or, you can use this $5 Off coupon right now and get them for $76.99.

If you post the type of music you listen to and the relative volume you prefer, the forum can get you very close to your "optimal" phone purchase.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1416876
Post #7 of 10

Muncher17

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Posts
4
Likes
0
My concern with in-ear headphones is comfort more than anything, although I've never really had a quality pair of in-ear headphones. I would consider in-ear headphones though, but in the end I think I'd rather have bigger, over-the-ear headphones.

I think the wording if my initial post may have been a little misleading however. I don't know all of the terminology, but I am not so concerned about blocking out ambient noise, although that would definitely be an added bonus. My main concern is that I don't want sound to leak out of the headphones and bother those close by.

The music I listen to is for the most part rock/metal (Pink Floyd, Beatles, Linkin Park, Metallica to name a few examples). I also listen to Classical music a decent amount.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1416881
Post #8 of 10

South_Korean

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 13, 2005
Messages
1,040
Reaction score
10
Joined
Mar 13, 2005
Posts
1,040
Likes
10
Sony XD series? try one. there are three models under 70 in that series. heard the lower two are too quiet though.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1416895
Post #9 of 10

gshan

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
3,667
Reaction score
10
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Posts
3,667
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Muncher17
The music I listen to is for the most part rock/metal (Pink Floyd, Beatles, Linkin Park, Metallica to name a few examples). I also listen to Classical music a decent amount.


I think the Panasonic RPHJE50 in-earphones sound really great with rock and classical in comparison to ex71 and maybe even ex81 (remains to be tested). Plus, they're about 20 bucks, comfortable, and give more isolation than most over-the-head closed headphones.

They make a great supplement to any budget can collection imo.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1416898
Post #10 of 10

gratefulshrink

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 12, 2005
Messages
1,687
Reaction score
15
Joined
May 12, 2005
Posts
1,687
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Muncher17
My concern with in-ear headphones is comfort more than anything, although I've never really had a quality pair of in-ear headphones. I would consider in-ear headphones though, but in the end I think I'd rather have bigger, over-the-ear headphones.

I think the wording if my initial post may have been a little misleading however. I don't know all of the terminology, but I am not so concerned about blocking out ambient noise, although that would definitely be an added bonus. My main concern is that I don't want sound to leak out of the headphones and bother those close by.

The music I listen to is for the most part rock/metal (Pink Floyd, Beatles, Linkin Park, Metallica to name a few examples). I also listen to Classical music a decent amount.



I will add my vote for the HD 280s -- they will block sound in both directions. The only thing to consider with them is comfort. Some have complained about the headband gripping too tightly. I think that used to bother me, but either I got used to it, or they have loosened up a bit with more time/usage. Not to be too personal, but do you have a large or extra-large head?
If not, you'd probably be ok with the comfort level. Oh, and BTW, I think they are great for rock music.
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top