Isolated over-the-ear headphones under $70 US
Jun 7, 2005 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Muncher17

New Head-Fier
I'm sure this is nothing new, but unfortunately I can't figure out how to search through the forum history to find threads that pose a similar question.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good value sealed headphone under $70? Since I'd like to use the headphones at work without bothering co-workers, I'd like the sound leakage to be minimal. (I've read many positive reviews of the Grados, but from what I understand those are not great as far as sound leakage is concerned.)

Right now I am considering the Sennheiser HD 201 and HD 202, although I'm not very clear on the differences between these two sets of headphones. I don't know too much about the market though, so I would be very open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Jun 7, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 10
While I have heard neither the HD201 or HD202, as per the reviews I have read by those who have heard them . . . . the HD201's are much better sounding. Do a forum search on "HD201" and see.

Jun 7, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Muncher17

Right now I am considering the Sennheiser HD 201 and HD 202, although I'm not very clear on the differences between these two sets of headphones. I don't know too much about the market though, so I would be very open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Both being in the $2x dollar range, the HD202 has more of a thumping bass signature. It feels like there are small subwoofers inside the earcups. The sound is noticeably muffled/veiled if you have a better closed can for comparison. Isolation is pretty good, but you might get warm/sweaty ears.

The HD201 doesn't have the same bass thunder, but still has a good amount of fun bass. It's a whole lot cleaner and more enjoyable. The sound is more balanced and less muffled by far in comparison with the 202. I've found that the 202/212 respond well to an inexpensive portable amp (much of the muffled veil disappears), however there isn't not much improvement to the already fairly balanced 201 in the same regard. The 201s are more comfortable than the 202s because they clamp less, and feel lighter around the ears.

In the $70, imo you should consider the HD280s (http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage....gle&id=1004080). These will be vastly superior in sound, and present a more accurate but very good bass that might not be considered "fun" by some. There's also a slightly used pair being sold in the FS/FT forums for $60 iirc.

Jun 7, 2005 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the replies.

I finally figured out how to search the forums, so that has helped me get some more opinions as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll read more about the HD280, since that sounds like it would be a good fit. (I saw a link to refurbushed ones for around $60 without shipping). If the quality is a definite step up from the HD201, then I think I'd be more inclined to go for those. Also, the BeyerDynamics DT231 looks promising, although I haven't read too much about those yet.

So now it looks like it is between HD201/HD280/DT231

Jun 7, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 10
The quick answer to the thread title is HD280, no question. If you don't require that much isolation, and just want a circumaural can with nice SQ, you should consider the HD201. For similar isolation and great SQ, Buy.com has the ER6i for $81.99, though you can grab a pair for $51.99 if you get the buy.com Visa and wait to complete checkout until the application has processed (usually takes a few days). Or, you can use this $5 Off coupon right now and get them for $76.99.

If you post the type of music you listen to and the relative volume you prefer, the forum can get you very close to your "optimal" phone purchase.

Jun 7, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #7 of 10
My concern with in-ear headphones is comfort more than anything, although I've never really had a quality pair of in-ear headphones. I would consider in-ear headphones though, but in the end I think I'd rather have bigger, over-the-ear headphones.

I think the wording if my initial post may have been a little misleading however. I don't know all of the terminology, but I am not so concerned about blocking out ambient noise, although that would definitely be an added bonus. My main concern is that I don't want sound to leak out of the headphones and bother those close by.

The music I listen to is for the most part rock/metal (Pink Floyd, Beatles, Linkin Park, Metallica to name a few examples). I also listen to Classical music a decent amount.

Jun 7, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 10
Sony XD series? try one. there are three models under 70 in that series. heard the lower two are too quiet though.

Jun 7, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

The music I listen to is for the most part rock/metal (Pink Floyd, Beatles, Linkin Park, Metallica to name a few examples). I also listen to Classical music a decent amount.

I think the Panasonic RPHJE50 in-earphones sound really great with rock and classical in comparison to ex71 and maybe even ex81 (remains to be tested). Plus, they're about 20 bucks, comfortable, and give more isolation than most over-the-head closed headphones.

They make a great supplement to any budget can collection imo.

Jun 7, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

My concern with in-ear headphones is comfort more than anything, although I've never really had a quality pair of in-ear headphones. I would consider in-ear headphones though, but in the end I think I'd rather have bigger, over-the-ear headphones.

I think the wording if my initial post may have been a little misleading however. I don't know all of the terminology, but I am not so concerned about blocking out ambient noise, although that would definitely be an added bonus. My main concern is that I don't want sound to leak out of the headphones and bother those close by.

I will add my vote for the HD 280s -- they will block sound in both directions. The only thing to consider with them is comfort. Some have complained about the headband gripping too tightly. I think that used to bother me, but either I got used to it, or they have loosened up a bit with more time/usage. Not to be too personal, but do you have a large or extra-large head?
icon10.gif
If not, you'd probably be ok with the comfort level. Oh, and BTW, I think they are great for rock music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back