ISO: Speaker recommendations and B&M stores in NYC to demo them
Sep 19, 2006 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
Hi All,

I've finally gotten to the point where I can purchase a pair of speakers. My budget is around $700 max. I've been eyeing the Epos M5's, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I should look into. I don't think I want floor standing speakers as they'll up too much space and the cats might decide to use them as scratching posts, so bookshelf's are in.

My living room is 15X10. The speakers would be located between my television on the long side of the room.

I currently own a Yamaha receiver, model# RX-V493. It supplies 70W for front speakers and 20W for rear speakers, as the manual claims. I'm aware of in living stereo on east 4th (across the street from Tower records), are their any other stores I should check out? How about any other competing brands in the same price bracket?

Thanks...I'm getting excited thinking about finally having some speakers!
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 18
Before anyobdy ask, as this bite me, ISO means In Search Of

Sep 19, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 18
check out Lyric Hi-Fi on Lexington at 82nd/83rd, and be sure to audition the Revel M12 monitors... they aren't the most beautiful speakers in the world, but they sound about as good as any $600-$700 monitor i've ever heard.

Sep 19, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
they aren't the most beautiful speakers in the world, but...

Yo, G - what's the WAF requirement here?
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

check out Lyric Hi-Fi on Lexington at 82nd/83rd, and be sure to audition the Revel M12 monitors... they aren't the most beautiful speakers in the world, but they sound about as good as any $600-$700 monitor i've ever heard.

Cool, i'll look them up.

Jpelg...huh?

Sep 20, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Cool, i'll look them up.

Jpelg...huh?

WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor

if you're not hitched, it don't exist.
wink.gif

Sep 21, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor

if you're not hitched, it don't exist.
wink.gif

I figured it had something to do with a wife...nope, not yet. My gf wants speakers though, so its all good
lambda.gif

Sep 21, 2006 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 18
If I had to buy another pair of bookshelfs I would no doubt go with the Klipsch RB-81s. The RB-81s use the new generation Tractix horn tweeters, new baffle ribbing, as well as a new 9 oz ceramic motor for the tweeters. The finish on the newer Klipschs are nicer as well, the RF-82s I have, have a noticeably glossier sheen then the previous gen RB-25s.

The RB-81s can be found on eBay new for around $500, they retail for $700. Klipsch isn't very popular here, but I can honestly say that they deliver high quality sound for a very fair price. If I had to compare them to a headphone I'd say they are very wooden Grado-esque, detailed, but without any form of harshness or sybillance, just very clean, with a nice full mid range and tight bottom end. If you can fit a floorstander though and can stretch your budget a bit, the RF-82s also have a high price to performance ratio and will be a large step-up from a bookshelf speaker.

Sep 23, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 18
Another possibility is Innovative Audio in Brooklyn and also in Manhattan (in the fifties near Bloomingdales).

I don't know what speaker lines they carry. I bought my cdp there a few years ago and the best thing was that they treat you nicely. Perhaps I'm thin-skinned, but some high-end places treat you like _____ unless you're going to spend large sums of money.

Sep 24, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #10 of 18
Another way to do it would be to audition as many speakers you can, in your price range and possibly double +/-.

Once you have found the sound that you enjoy, go to audiogon.com and have a look at used speakers. Generally the price is 50% +/-, of retail, so you might be able to get a lot more bang for you buck.

Speakers are a lot like cars, they depreciate rather quickly at the start, however they eventually find a stable used price.

Sep 24, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 883dave
Another way to do it would be to audition as many speakers you can, in your price range and possibly double +/-.

Once you have found the sound that you enjoy, go to audiogon.com and have a look at used speakers. Generally the price is 50% +/-, of retail, so you might be able to get a lot more bang for you buck.

Speakers are a lot like cars, they depreciate rather quickly at the start, however they eventually find a stable used price.

Yep, I was checking audiogon as well. I'm heading out to in living stereo in NYC this afternoon. If I find something that sounds great, I'll jump on it. Audiogon is hit or miss in terms of actually finding the speakers you want so I'd rather not wait...at least that's how I feel right now.
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Yep, I was checking audiogon as well. I'm heading out to in living stereo in NYC this afternoon. If I find something that sounds great, I'll jump on it. Audiogon is hit or miss in terms of actually finding the speakers you want so I'd rather not wait...at least that's how I feel right now.
biggrin.gif

hey! if you haven't left yet... can you do me a favor while you're at In Living Stereo? ask and see if they have any decent small floorstanders for about $1000?

that's my intended purchase in the next two months or so. right now the contenders are (since you didn't ask
tongue.gif
) :

Quad 21L (no nyc dealers)
Monitor Audio RS6
Totem Sttaf (a little too expensive, no grill)
Ohm MicroWalsh Tall (NY made, baby!)
Energy RC50 (again, no nyc dealers)
Rega R5 (ILS could order, but it'd be final sale)
Onix RS450

i'd do the Revel Concerta F12, but they're too big.

Sep 24, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

hey! if you haven't left yet... can you do me a favor while you're at In Living Stereo? ask and see if they have any decent small floorstanders for about $1000?

that's my intended purchase in the next two months or so. right now the contenders are (since you didn't ask
tongue.gif
) :

Quad 21L (no nyc dealers)
Monitor Audio RS6
Totem Sttaf (a little too expensive, no grill)
Ohm MicroWalsh Tall (NY made, baby!)
Energy RC50 (again, no nyc dealers)
Rega R5 (ILS could order, but it'd be final sale)
Onix RS450

i'd do the Revel Concerta F12, but they're too big.

Ah, too late!

I came back about an hour ago. We settled on a pair of Rega R1's, they sounded stellar for the price.
cool.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Ah, too late!

I came back about an hour ago. We settled on a pair of Rega R1's, they sounded stellar for the price.
cool.gif

excellent... i've heard good things about them.
how much were they? was the price flexible?

do you know if they had the larger R3 or R5 in stock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back