Mar 25, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #16 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if i didnt initial download and try music i wouldnt buy/go to any gigs

theres no other effective way to hear music imo

and this is exactly my point
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #17 of 113
The problem is, that the seller have already payed his sale tax, and it 's contained in the sale price. no one care.

Imagine a 200$ amp, bought by someone in the US(that paid I-don't-know-how-much local sale tax) , sold to someone in Netherlands(for 200$), who paid 19$ import tax on it.
Then he sold it to someone in Israel(for the same 200$), who had to pay 35$ import tax.

I don't know how it works in other countries, but I don't have any way to get my taxes back on exporting, since I'm not an "authorized exporter".

Multiple taxes system make no sense in too many situations.

Mar 25, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #18 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, downloading music when you have no money is an excuse, when I do get money to spend like that, it does go on music. But, if I want an album, then I'm going to buy it or download it. And I'm not gonna pay some rip-off service like Rhapsody $15 every month to not own a song. Downloading music illegaly doesn't affect artists as much as people think. You see how many people bootleg Britney Spears stuff....and she's still rich. Peopleget overdramatic about this stuff. [End Rant]

It might be illegal to mark it as gift, but it would be stupid for someone to complain about fees. It's not the companys fault, at least the company even offers to sell overseas. I think people these days are just getting so selfish.

I'm sure if you needed a ride, and had no money, that would also be an excuse to take a car?? Your right about one thing though. People (as in you) are getting selfish. Stealing a little bit from someone is the same as stealing alot. It doesnt even matter what the effect on the artist.

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #19 of 113
Don't know about EU, but for the US if you file a false declaration, eg falsify and invoice, etc you could pay the original owed duty PLUS a civil penalty or penalties depending on the exact nature of what you did. It's just not worth it in my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoapSeller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is, that the seller have already payed his sale tax, and it 's contained in the sale price. no one care.

Imagine a 200$ amp, bought by someone in the US(that paid I-don't-know-how-much local sale tax) , sold to someone in Netherlands(for 200$), who paid 19$ import tax on it.
Then he sold it to someone in Israel(for the same 200$), who had to pay 35$ import tax.

Not always true. A lot of places in the US don't have sales tax. Besides customs duties are not a form of sales tax. They are a way to equalize global trade in items based on differences in economies, currency valuations etc. This is why you see items offered for 295 - dollars in US or Euros in EU. Obviously 295 Euros is way more expensive that 295 dollars right now. So usually for that item it will have associated US duty rates to adjust the value. Not always though.

For fun look up 'Grey Market Goods', kind of an explination.

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #20 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoapSeller /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sales tax is not the same as VAT (value added tax). The two concepts are completely different.

Mar 25, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #21 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen a band that would rather you come to see them live and buy merch and download their music illegaly, than download their music and not come to shows. If artists are really into music, they care more about fans than money. If they don't, than they are selfish and don't deserve any type of recognition at all.

This band you supposedly know is resigned to the lesser of two evils, surely. And the last two sentences of your post are pie in the sky nonsense.

Mar 25, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #22 of 113
Another thread goes off the rails
smily_headphones1.gif

I am a firm believer in trying before buying. I download music illegally, and if I find myself listening to it over and over again, I buy it. If I don't like it, I delete it. Artists whose work I enjoy deserve my money.

On the customs front, I find that most of what I buy from abroad does not get touched by customs. I'll happily pay import tax on <20% of my purchases, so I don't ask people to mark items as 'gift'.

Mar 25, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #23 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure if you needed a ride, and had no money, that would also be an excuse to take a car?? Your right about one thing though. People (as in you) are getting selfish. Stealing a little bit from someone is the same as stealing alot. It doesnt even matter what the effect on the artist.

Your right I am selfish, I do community service every weekend, and I babysit for my neighbors, you are absolutely right. But you know, I don't have money to just go out and buy something all the time. I mean, if I get a line-in recorder, I can go on purevolume, lastfm, and others and just record everything I want. And I might be a little selfish, but I TRY BEFORE I BUY, and if I like it, I buy it, and if I don't I delete it. The artists gets there money either way. And comparing this to stealing a car, is one of the most horrible metaphors, stealing a car is nothing like downloading music. If I need a ride, I walk to the police station.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hadden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This band you supposedly know is resigned to the lesser of two evils, surely. And the last two sentences of your post are pie in the sky nonsense.

You must not listen to the indie/underground stuff. There are plenty out there. And this is nonsense...?

"If artists are really into music, they care more about fans than money. If they don't, than they are selfish and don't deserve any type of recognition at all."

I guess you're right, mainstream crap produced by drama queens/kings do only care about money.

Mar 25, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #24 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sales tax is not the same as VAT (value added tax). The two concepts are completely different.

Here(Israel) the base tax I have to pay for importing is the same sale tax(which at the moment is 15.5%). For some items(amps, for example) I have to pay an additional tax(17% IIRC).

Anyway, none of those taxes will be refund to me if I'll export the item.

Mar 25, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #25 of 113
I really couldn't care less if illegally downloading is hurting the artist. You're only kidding yourself, and hurting your own integrity by resorting to crime. But hey, what do I know, I've never had to scrap by, pay for gas or even tuitions, so I guess it's OK since life isn't fair :|

I just wanted other people's opinion on this small matter, and I got just that, a healthy response from a community of importers who are invovled in this business.

Mar 25, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #26 of 113
Heh, yeah, I don't know we even resorted to that topic.

Mar 25, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #27 of 113
I'm not saying i'm involved in any illegal activities, but labeling import as "gift" solves a lot of problems and is better in the long wrong for everyone.

Labeling it as 'gift' will most likely result in custom agent not having to rip up your package. They don't waste their time opening and repacking and shipping, you don't waste time waiting or waste money on taxes. Everyone is better off.

Mar 26, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #28 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ive only been stung for customs once, one ebay item came and asked me for a receipt to prove the value before i got the item, i edited the paypal receipt to a much lower value, so i got a £25 charge rather than a £100 charge (iphone)

bbest way is to make it believable, i wont buy somethin from someone if they are going to declare full value and its alot

X2 I don't blame you there!The politicians get away with not paying taxes also.
I figure the amount of income taxes makes up for it many times over.

Mar 26, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #30 of 113
Quote:

Well.. It's up to you how much USED equipment is worth isn't it?

Finally, I have been waiting for that!!

Nobody can tell You what a used object is worth unless they have some kind of govermentguide to work with.
If I pay 100USD for a piece of a broken beerbottle who can say what that is worth? I paid 100USD for it but it is not worth that amount. Do I pay all the extra taxes for something that is worthless?? Or do I pay for it´s real value? If I refuse and they open the package what would happen? Do You think they will go to court with it?

I have an item on it´s way right now from Canada and I always talk with the seller first. This seller said okey and wrote a value of 40USD and marked it "Gift". Ïf the seller agress, fine if not, fine again. If You have a problem with lying: DONT! We all do as we please and to get all worked up about it sounds lika a huuuuuge waste of time.

There are more important things in this world to worry about:
Global warming
War in Irak
A cure for cancer and HIV
Genocide in parts of Africa
Conflict in the MiddleEast
China/Tibet issue
Human trafficking
How to get the Miami Dolphins to win the SuperBowl
and so on......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back