Isn't it funny . . .
Dec 1, 2001 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
That most people will spend 300 dollars on speakers but won't spend half that on headphones?

I picked up a pair of senn 580s in germany over the summer. Since returning to the US, I've been met with MUCH ridicule. YOU SPENT HOW MUCH!???

I'm using em with an amp, with a denon 370 soon coming. But isn't it funny how the senns cost 1/2 of speakers that aren't nearly as good?

Why are people so hard to convince? Is it because headphones are personal? Is it because they are basically only for music? What can we do to get people off the crappy phones included with players, street styles, etc, and on to a track of better listening?

Sadly, it is my opinion that this is impossible. Any thoughts?

Dec 1, 2001 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 31
This problem is even worse when you buy some Etymotics - they are the best headphones in the world in my opinion. The problem is that when you just glance at them they look like something that would cost perhaps £20 or so.

I suppose in a way that's a good thing as they are far less likely to be stolen. When my friends see them they cannot believe how much I spent on them but when I let them hear them - it's a different story.

Trouble is, now I'm using custom earmoulds with them it's not really possible to let them have a listen - I just have to explain what makes them so good.

I personally think that the Etymotic 4 series represents outstanding value for money.

Dec 2, 2001 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 31
Most people live the life the marketing establishment has lead them to believe is the best. Cheap is good, how many people actually own a stereo rack system over a minisystem? Not many! Most folks even own little bookshelf systems! People are just not willing to spending money on a decent pair of headphones or anything else that would enhance their experience with the hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars they spend a year on cd's and tapes. On the other hand: I worked at a music store for three years and you should see how much people would cry over the price of a $13 cd, do you think these types would spend more than $20 on a tin can? People think their gonna die and take their money with them. Petty fools, too bad their loss not ours, and if anyone ridiculed me for owning the 7506's their gonna get forearmed!

George

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2001 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 31
I totally agree with the Etymotics.
I just got the CD3000s and its a completely different story. They're so huge and ostentatious, they just scream I'm expensive as h@ll. To top it off, they have a gorgeous case that's big enough for a regular microwave oven.
Of course, soundwise, they aren't all that (compared to Etymotics though)... but boy do they look awesome!

Dec 2, 2001 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 31
Went to Fry's...they had the Active Bose Advertising Technology going on actually calling people over the PA system to get thier "ticket" to participate in a Bose demonstration.

Just wanted to grab a DVD, but I noticed an all NEW little Bose demonstration system playing some Michael Jackson DVD...took a listen and said....hmmm ok it doesn't sound TOO horrible...but knowing Bose its probably overpriced at around $500 dollars or so. Course living in the world of price/performance audio, my estimate was far off since it was the Bose 3 2 1 system that supposedly sounds close to a 5 channel setup with a 3.1 setup and the DVD/CD and speaker setup costing $999. $1k for a plastic POS system that I wouldn't pay 1/4th for.

At their best they sounded like a decent 3.1 spatialized computer speaker setup, and it might be a stretch to even call it a good computer speaker setup. Also I had absolutely no idea where 5 channel performance even came in...they sounded like spatialized speakers, on the level of a WoW SRS plugin. Also with the typical Acoustimass Bass module that again sounds much like computer subwoofers.

Course that is on the crap end of speaker buying...I'm sure there is still price/performance in speaker buying just as well as headphones. Just be content in knowing Bose is popular...so why listen to popular opinion.

Best part is, it was one of the more impressive Bose displays I've seen...besides the waterproof speaker in a gold-fish bowl. Actually yah the goldfish speaker is more impressive...only a true music lover knows they should mix music listening with...ummmm goldfish. I think they stopped having this display after killing off too many goldfish.

Dec 2, 2001 at 1:24 AM Post #6 of 31
It's really pathetic what some people listen to.

I've got HD600's with a TA and I use them with my Kenwood pcdp
walking in the mornings. Sure get some strange looks through the neighborhood with a bag full of gear and the HD's on.

A few people have asked about it, and I really think they believe I'm ****tin' them. What's even worse, Our daughter and son-in-law own 2 Chevy dealerships, a $500K home in NC and a $750K home in CO.

They can't believe there's anything better than Bose. They don't even have they best system. They think it's wonderful. They think my system sounds real good, but it's too expensive. About $10K.

I'm almost ashamed to be related to them.

Dec 2, 2001 at 2:34 AM Post #8 of 31
yech. Streetstyle. After a week of senn mx500s(my first real phones), when I put em on, YUCK.

btw, whats with coby? I noticed recently, they've exploded.

Dec 2, 2001 at 3:17 AM Post #10 of 31
LOL, you cant imagine how many Coby's and cheap Sony's i see on the train every morning, its disgusting! And those corny ass ear buds that cant block out sound on a noisy train, what's wrong with these people?

George

Dec 2, 2001 at 4:07 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

But still, what's with coby?

They are cheap and they suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck, suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck, suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck, suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck, suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck, suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck, suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck, suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck, suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck, suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck, suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck, suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck, suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck, suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck, suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck, suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck, suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck,suck!!!!!!!

P.S. They suck!

Dec 2, 2001 at 4:49 AM Post #13 of 31
Hey, I used to be a member of team buy-these-10-Maxell-tapes-we'll-give-you-these-cool-buds-that-fit-in-a-cassette-case...

...or was it TDK...?

Dec 2, 2001 at 6:26 AM Post #14 of 31
Hey, I remeber when I was 8 and I had one of those colored Sanyo portable tape players(it had red trim). Worst sound ever with the stock phones. It was better than Transformers!

[size=medium]Team Sanyo[/size]

Dec 2, 2001 at 7:21 AM Post #15 of 31
well.. i try not to feel too elitist because i have an interest in phones/audio. the fact is i'm upper middle class, have a bit of cash to throw around and some free time on my hands. everyone needs a hobby. i probably could have gotten into a multitude of things but i just happened to discover this little niche of the world at the right time.

now that i'm here though there is no going back.

i'm sure some people would look at my bike and laugh and wonder why i would want to settle for such a piece of crap. but for me, right now, i don't really give a rat's ass about how top of the line my bike is.

anyway.... i need a smoke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back