Isnt having special made holders for your cables so they dont touch the floor a bit...
Jul 27, 2009 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Gbjerke

1000+ Head-Fier
much?

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
much?

It's best to keep the cable perfectly horizontal between your amp and loudspeaker. Otherwise, the electrons have to work harder to climb up against gravity.

Jul 27, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #5 of 15
Did you notice that the cable elevators are almost exactly the same thing as glass or ceramic insulators used for telephone and power lines?

You can buy the insulators for about $5-$10 each, but the cable elevators are something like $100 each.

That right there should tell you everything you need to know about them.

Jul 27, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #6 of 15
Maybe Patrick should chime in. I am sure he has some opinions on the subject...

Jul 27, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #7 of 15
hmm... I didn't know people bought these. I thought they were all DIYed.
I just made some because I saw everyone else with them, and because I wanted to make the cables more visible so I wouldn't trip on them.
i just cut little pieces out of a 2x4 though.

Jul 27, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #8 of 15
I think it's to do with vibration control. This is a big thing in some quarters - for example, Vertex AQ put boxes in the middle of their cables, the primary purpose of which is to stop vibratrion from travelling the length of the cable and affecting the end component.

Don't shoot the messenger. I haven't tried any cable supports and I don't have any Vertex stuff.

Jul 27, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #9 of 15
Easier to clean the floor, and for all I know they may even improve sound quality.

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #12 of 15
Mine are on homemade risers (i.e. wrapped around my rack and suspended in mid air) because when I left them on the floor my roomba devoured them.

The audible difference between a whole, unbroken strand of copper and a broken one wrapped around a robotic brush head is really night and day.

Aug 18, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
much?

As much as believing in high fidelity cables.

Aug 19, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine are on homemade risers (i.e. wrapped around my rack and suspended in mid air) because when I left them on the floor my roomba devoured them.

The audible difference between a whole, unbroken strand of copper and a broken one wrapped around a robotic brush head is really night and day.

LOL! thanks for that - I saw the image in my mind:

Sherwood "What the hell is that noise? Smell?"

(runs to his listening room and sees the Roomba bashing its head in the corner with a speaker cable in its mouth, shredded..smoking...)

Aug 20, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #15 of 15
Personally, I use special oxygen free oxygen infused Panamanian wood holders on my desk to hold and keep the headphone cable off the desk when I'm listening to them.

I also have a replaceable upgraded headphone cryo cable that I buy in bulk because I throw it away after each listening session. Why risk the cables getting corroded?

I also never unplug the headphone jack from the amp b/c I don't want any chance of dust or corrosion getting in there. So, I have to throw away the headphone amp after each listen too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back