Isabellina HPA - Owner's Thread and Impressions
Jul 31, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #286 of 532
All,

Thanks for your posts and sharing in on the excitement!

Here are a couple of informal pictures of the Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition:

Quote:
.and the LFP-V Edition are here! Great work Vinnie!
bigsmile_face.gif

I am seriously considering upgrading my Signature 30.2 and Isabellina. Time will show.

Thanks!

This morning’s e-mail was full of inquires and orders, so thank you all for the great response! I’ll be responding individually to your emails as quickly as I can.  Based on emails and phone calls, the first batch of units is spoken for. Lead-time for the second batch of new orders and upgrade will be in the late-August / early-September time frame.  It is already filling up, so it might be longer.  This is really exciting, and I appreciate all your patience and understanding during this very busy time.

This coming week we will be issuing a press release and updating RWA banner ads to promote the LFP-V Edition. Based on the initial reaction, I anticipate lead-times will continue to grow. Upgrades / shipments are made in the order in which they are received. 

Quote:
Should be a HUGE upgrade for the Isabellina, tube stage was the key reason I went to the Isabella a while back.  Get a nice NOS 6922 and should be a nice improvement over prior version.

Hi Geoff,

Yes, and along with the new LiFePO4 battery pack, it is a HUGE upgrade for the Isabellina HPA and all our products!
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Vinnie - what would be the difference between the tube stage you're adding across the new product line (single 6922) versus the pair of of tubes in the Isabella in terms of where they're placed in the signal path and how you're using them?

The LFP-V Edition tube stage is explained in more detail here:

http://www.redwineaudio.com/products/lfpv-edition (scroll down to tube-stage, and there is also a link with more info on the tube stage)

Unlike the Isabella preamp, which offers unity (0dB) and 12dB of gain), the LFP-V Edition is a cathode-follower (aka "buffer") configuration that does not offer voltage gain - but it offers current gain.  So it provides a higher input impedance and lower output impedance - and sonically does wonders for all our products!

The is not the same tube circuit as in the Isabella preamp.   Well, some of the circuit is the same (such as the auto-mute delayed turn-on), and we use the same tube family.  But only one dual-triode tube is used for the LFP-V tube stage.  They are both ran totally on battery power with no rectifiers, DC-DC conversion, transformers, etc. 

For the Isabellina dac and Isabellina HPA, it is placed after the dac.  For the Signature 30.2 and 70.2, it is placed before the amplifier stage.

Quote:
Vinnie, will there be a "trap door"  for the 30.2 and Isabellina HPA to roll tubes as you have on the Isabella?

Hi Miguel,

No - every unit has the new tube stage located in a different location (e.g. we have to mount the tube stage in a different location for the 30.2 and 70.2 than we do for the Isabellina dac and Isabellina HPA), so I decided not to add the sliding glass window for these products.  Only the Isabella features this
cool.gif

Also, as mentioned on the webpage, with the LFP-V Edition upgrade - ALL our products feature the AC/BATT switch, so you can play off the grid for critical listening session (for approx. 6 hours), or flip the switch and continue to play and charge - with no time limit! (great for burn-in!
biggrin.gif
)

I’m looking forward to filling the backlog of new (and upgrades to) LFP-V Edition products and all your feedback when you get to listen – your expectations should be high and I am confident that they will be exceeded!  Then we can start talking about the sound and the music! 
4_1_61.gif

Thanks again for all your interest and support (and patience during this very busy time for us).

Best regards,

Vinnie

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #287 of 532
Vinnie, these new features really make the Isabellina HPA much more attractive to me.  

If I had a bigger balance in my bank account I might be trying to figure out how to sell my Amphora to put towards one right now.  Since it can be combined with a DLO Homedock HD or iTransport to listen to iPods via digital, the lack of analog input isn't a deal-breaker yet, but my bank balance is.

Aug 1, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #289 of 532

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #290 of 532
Wow, that was fast!
Released yesterday, or perhaps the day before, and you already got one.
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #293 of 532

Quote:
For the Isabellina dac and Isabellina HPA, it is placed after the dac.  For the Signature 30.2 and 70.2, it is placed before the amplifier stage.

will it be silly if I have both isabellina and signature 30.2 upgraded? in terms of 2 tube stage running in series

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #295 of 532
I helped Vinnie work up messaging for the new LFP pages (and most of the rest the site). I asked him if I could have the honor of being his first LFP-V customer. So mine was the first production unit and sent a day ahead of the AudioCircle announcement.

I have a Sig 30.2 and will be upgrading to LFP-V. But there was enough demand Vinnie asked if I could hold off on the upgrade so he could help other customers.

As background, I was the first AKG K1000 owner to adopt a Sig 30. And the HPA is my fist acquisition since I began working with Vinnie. So I was a customer first and contractor second.

Oh, and Vinnie says that two LFP-Vs in series (DAC / Sig 30.2) is a major good thing! Check out the lower right hand corner of this photo...

Aug 2, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #296 of 532

Quote:
Vinnie it is all good provided I made the cut for the first batch of the upgrades to my Signature 30.2 and the Isabella w/ Isabellina and HPA.

Hi  Miguel,

You were early to contact me, so you are on the list for the next batch of upgrades.  I'm just waiting on some parts from my suppliers (e..g the new Isabella front panel with the headphone jack now installed in the front).  Coming soon!
smile.gif

Quote:
will it be silly if I have both isabellina and signature 30.2 upgraded? in terms of 2 tube stage running in series

Hi Alamakazam,

Not silly at all - having the tube stage in both units sounds even better!  Input impedance of each unit is increased, and output impedance is lowered (this is all beneficial) and NOT "too much of a good thing."  Its MORE of a great thing! 
cool.gif
    And it's more than just the tube stage with the upgrade - there's also the LiFePO4 battery pack which offers a big sonic improvement (and a switch to allow for both playing and charging continuously...), and much improved battery life.

I am very confident that customer feedback will confirm my findings as well... I listened to all the various configurations of our gear and the LFP-V Editons are clearly in a whole other level!

Best regards,

Vinnie

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #297 of 532
[size=medium]Isabellina HPA LFP-V, first listen...[/size]

[size=medium]Let me start by saying this will not be the definitive review of the HPA LFP-V Edition. I'll leave that to headfiers who are truly dedicated to cans.[/size]

[size=medium]Me, I've been in and out of phones over the past five years. [/size]

[size=medium]To keep the story (somewhat) brief, after a short life with balanced 650s, I had a my first truly meaningful headphone relationship with AKG K1000s. A nice listening experience. But K1000s led to a RWA Sig 30, which in turn opened a door to Omega single-drivers, and alas, headphones just didn’t cut it anymore. So off go the Ks to fund even more gear from RWA and Omega, plus a host of acoustical panels from GIK. Life is good.[/size]

[size=medium]The last couple years, I hit a headfi meet or two, maybe listen to a friend’s phones, but coming home to RWA and single drivers made headphones, well, second class citizens. Brutal, yes. But true.[/size]

[size=medium]My system[/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]My system has evolved to minimalist (no more $1,000 balanced ICs). Now it's modest power coupled with high-efficiency speakers (RWA / Super 6 Alnicos / Deep Hemp) and Macbook via USB. And it's never sounded as good in the past as it does now.[/size][/size]

[size=medium]Enter the HPA LFP-V Edition[/size]

[size=medium]Right now I’m listening to a variety of musical genres on AKG 701s. What, 701s? Not a high-end phone you say. And 701s can be bright and bass-reticent, right?[/size]

[size=medium]Well I’m here to tell you they sound really damn good. How good? Well I promised to leave the critical listening and comments to those more current in the headfi world. But my HPA has a date for the Carolina CanFEST on 8/14. Here it'll have a chance to go up against rigs costing multiples more. For this engagement my HPA will also the honor of hooking up with a set of loaner LCD-2s, thanks to Ken / ALO (...yes Ken, I owe you a reminder call later this week (-; )[/size]

[size=medium]If only life were that simple...[/size]

[size=medium]I told you what I’m hearing is damn good. And while true, full disclosure is in order.[/size]

[size=medium]My unit has about 25 hours. Well under Vinnie’s recommended 100+ for best sound. Naturally the unit came equipped with standard issue 6922 JJs. [/size]

[size=medium]The sound with JJs is very good, but not [size=small]world class [/size] by my standards. When I say world class, I don't mean in comparison to headphones / headamps. Again, my standard is Alnico single-drivers and nearfield listening in a nicely treated dedicated listening room. [/size]

[size=medium]So after the first round of burn-in I had to see what this baby was really made of. That’s part of the allure of tubes right? The ability to roll a tube and change the sonic characteristics to fit your system and musical tastes.[/size]

[size=medium]A year or so ago, on Vinnie’s recommendation, I picked up a matched pair of USN-CEP (military grade) Amperex 7308s. If I understand the story correctly, these are 1965 production, white letter, U.S.A. (Amperex New York).[/size]

[size=medium]Does the Amperex make a difference? Oh, yeah! A little slice of musical bliss: Effortless. Nice timbre. Expansive sound stage. Nice layering and texture. And dynamics that more than once made me jump (out of surprise) while typing this. [/size]

[size=medium]I'll sum it up by saying this is the best I've ever heard from 701s. And while the memory is distant now, I can honestly say what I'm hearing might be as good if not better than my old K1000s. If you love K1000s (in a properly set up system) you know that means a lot. Kent[/size]

[size=medium][/size]

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #299 of 532
Hi bastogne,

Yes - I owe Ken an Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition - He should have it in about 3 weeks and will also bring it to the Portland headfi meet
L3000.gif

Cheers!

Vinnie

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #300 of 532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes - I owe Ken an Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition - He should have it in about 3 weeks and will also bring it to the Portland headfi meet
L3000.gif

Sweet! I'll get to do a back-to-back test against mine to test my "no more audio purchases this summer" resolve. We'll see how long my wallet survives that kind of temptation....
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back