Isabellina HPA - Owner's Thread and Impressions
Nov 24, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #196 of 532
All,

I apologize for the delayed response - I've been very busy these past few weeks.

Quote:

yes, the maya is a pci card. But if it's not using the buffer in the dac, why woulden't the buffersize go up over 6000ms? And why is the isabellina slow using Wasapi with 200ms+ bufferlength, when it's fast as anything else with 16000ms & direct streaming.

Hi Bredin,

I'm not sure what is going on with your buffer settings. I simply use iTunes on my Macbook to send WAV or Apple Lossless files via USB to the Isabellina HPA's dac and it works perfectly. I also do the same with my PC laptop (Dell) running iTunes. I have not played with buffer settings...

Hi All Day Breakfast,

Thanks for your post, and I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your Isabellina HPA + iTransport combo!

Correct - the Wadia does not have an on/off switch (but it does turn OFF when the HPA is turned OFF). If your HPA is ON and your Wadia is plugged it, it consumes a lot more power when your iPod is plugged in. So if you are not using the Wadia, I recommend you unplug your iPod (or unplug the power cable to the Wadia) and you'll get much more play time from the HPA if you are using another digital source.

Regarding a good BNC to RCA cable, I really like the Blue Jeans Cable (Beldin 1694A digital cable) with the 75-ohm BNC on one end, and the RCA plug on the other end for the Wadia. You can get is as short as 1.5 foot (approx. 0.5 meter) and the are very good quality at a very good price!
Digital Audio Cables at Blue Jeans Cable

Certainly there are high end cable makers who offer a BNC to RCA coax cable (e.g. Digital, and Ken at ALO Audio should be able to make a 75-ohm BNC to RCA cable)

Quote:

ranma172, sorry you are not enjoying your Isabellina HPA as much as some of us have. It is a very nice piece and one that I enjoyed so much I am in the process of getting the funds together to upgrade to the Isabella fully loaded. I hope you fully burnt-in your unit (at least 400 hours) and that you are feeding it lossless files from your computer via an USB cable to get the most out of it.

Hi ranma172,

I am also sorry to hear that you have not fallen in love with your Isabellina HPA (hopefully that will change soon!
wink.gif
). Which headphones are you using with it? The v-caps certainly take a long time to burn-in and sound their best - but I have also received a lot of really good feedback from customers who loved their HPA the minute the received it and started listening, and then really loved the sound after extended listening time (break-in).

But I do understand that synergy between the headphone amp and headphones is very important, and we all have different tastes in sound...

Hi GreenLeo, Miguel, and Combat Audio (and everyone else!) -

Thanks for continuing to post your feedback - much appreciated, guys

More more thing to add - at the NY Headfi meet (two weekends ago), I had the opportunity to listen to the Isabellina HPA with the Audeze LCD-2 headphones - stunning combo!
Audez'e | Introducing Audez’e LCD-2 headphones

These were only prototypes and hopefully production will begin by the end of the year. There are supposed to sell for $650 (which is a steal for the sound I was hearing with them!).
beerchug.gif

Happy Listening,

Vinnie

Nov 24, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #197 of 532
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Bredin,

I'm not sure what is going on with your buffer settings. I simply use iTunes on my Macbook to send WAV or Apple Lossless files via USB to the Isabellina HPA's dac and it works perfectly. I also do the same with my PC laptop (Dell) running iTunes. I have not played with buffer settings...

The thing is that only happens when I use the Wasapi-plugin in foobar, it works like any other soundcard when I use the direct-streaming output instead. So I'm thinking that the Wasapi-plugin will send the stream directly to the HPAs buffer, instead of buffering on the computer.

It would be fun to know if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

Nov 25, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #199 of 532
Hey Vinnie,

My PS1000's shipped about a week and a half ago...mail is just really slow this time of year where I am. I can't wait to plug them in to the Isabellina.

I am continuing to switch between the Westone 3, HD 650s and my ALO 225s...really am enjoying the different details that each can/iem brings to the music depending what kind of mood I find myself in or sound I am looking for.

I have really started to enjoy listening to the HD650's again after a long break from them...who would of known.

I'll get in a busy phase for a couple of days and then one night have an hour or two just for listening time and the Isabellina continues to impress across the wide range of music that I listen too! Been going back through my collection pulling old favorites that had been off the main playlist for awhile.

HotRod, I have been using an ALO audio USB cable but I can A/B versus a regular USB if you like...I am using a Macbook Pro as well.

I am not a golden eared wonder but I can check the SQ differences. I usually have the Senn HD 650's under the 1/2 volume level when I listen to them now...that is a little loud (but that is mainly with the Wadia set up). I am not sure how they compare in ohms to the HD800.

Nov 25, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #200 of 532
Hi Combat Audio,
I am listening to the HD800's at between 11 and 12 oclock which I would have thought would be awful loud but in fact I could listen at even higher volume and I am not a head banger.
I would appreciate it if you could A/B the ALO USB cable and if it is significantly better let me have the product code. I see in the Perfect Sound they are quite disparaging of USB connection and prefer all other alternatives

Nov 25, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #201 of 532
Hey guys,

Quote:

I see in the Perfect Sound they are quite disparaging of USB connection and prefer all other alternatives

It's all in the implementation....

Unlike a lot of USB dacs, the USB input of the dac in the Isabellina HPA does not first convert from USB to SPDIF - It converts from USB directly to I2S to feed the NOS dac chip. This is MUCH cleaner!

Along with this, the USB section features galvanic isolation from the rest of the dac board, so it isolates noise from the computer - keeping everything very clean from the SLA battery power.

Simply put - the USB input is damn good and competitive with the SPDIF inputs using a good CD transport (which is not always the case with dacs that have a USB input).

Hi Combat Audio,

I think the HD650s really sing with the Isabellina HPA. Unlike a lot of amps I've heard power the HD650s, the bass is much more articulate with the HPA and they sound full and rich in the midrange.
They are not the most resolving headphone, nor do they offer the widest and deepest soundstage, but they are pleasure to listen to for long listening sessions. They don't pick out flaws in the recording like more resolving headphones (e.g. HD800s). The trick for me was to stretch out the headband on them (placing them on a box for a few days - stretched out wide) - then they became quite comfortable. When brand new, they were too tight on my ears. Either I have a big head, or this is just the way the are
wink.gif

Happy Thanksgiving!

Vinnie

Dec 1, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #203 of 532
Quote:

Originally Posted by HotRod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the explanation Vinnie
Look forward to hearing from you on the ALO cable Combat Audio

Hot Rod...sorry dude got side tracked with work...some early mornings cutting into my late night listenings. I'll check it for you.

Good news is the PS1000s came in today...so a little better reference can for me!! I am listening to them out of the box (not burned in yet) but loving the sound. Listening to some various genres of music right now and just got a chill from Blackfoot's "I Got a Line on You"...not exactly audiophile fodder but fun. Alice in Chains "Last of my Kind"...man, grunge hasn't sounded this good since the 90's...haha...now if it was only Layne Stanley singing.

I'll run them some more and keep burning in the Isabellina...I usually listen an hour or two a night when I have the time to chill before bed...so neither is close to the recommended hours.

Vinnie, they Senns do sound really good on the Isabellina...for the first time when I A/B cans with some of the guys around work they are starting to say they like the 650's more than some of the others. The 650's still do have their weak points but as you mentioned for some of the music I have they are good cans to smooth out some of the recordings...I have a big head but they never have clamped on me too bad. I am getting used to the big cups of the PS1000s as my previous Grado have been from the RS-1s down.

I do like the Isabellina with all my cans so far...my system to my ears is finally good enough where I can enjoy the subtleties of not only the music but the cans as well.

I apologize again to Hot Rod for the delay....

Dec 2, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #204 of 532
Hi Combat Audio,

Quote:

I do like the Isabellina with all my cans so far...my system to my ears is finally good enough where I can enjoy the subtleties of not only the music but the cans as well.

I apologize again to Hot Rod for the delay....

I'm really glad you are enjoying your Isabellina, and please do not apologize for your delayed response - I think we can all agree that the responsibility of serving our country is a much bigger priority than posting speedy replies on these forums.
wink.gif

Wishing you well,

Vinnie

Dec 2, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #205 of 532
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think we can all agree that the responsibility of serving our country is a much bigger priority than posting speedy replies on these forums.
wink.gif

Right....
wink.gif

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #206 of 532
Hi Vinnie,
I am satisfied with my HPA so far.
Two small questions: First, when I turn on/off the HPA, there will be a clicking sound accompaning with the light. Is it normal? because I don't remember my sig 30.2 has the clicking sound, but I may be wrong.
Second, I know HPA will trun off when battery is low, but will HPA automatically turn off after several minutes of non-signaling?

Thank you for the answers.

Dec 28, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #208 of 532
Quote:

Originally Posted by qwertgfdsa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Vinnie,
I am satisfied with my HPA so far.
Two small questions: First, when I turn on/off the HPA, there will be a clicking sound accompaning with the light. Is it normal? because I don't remember my sig 30.2 has the clicking sound, but I may be wrong.
Second, I know HPA will trun off when battery is low, but will HPA automatically turn off after several minutes of non-signaling?

Thank you for the answers.

Hi qwertgfdsa,

Glad to hear you are enjoying your HPA!

Yes - the clicking sound when you turn it ON is completely normal. That is the new "SMART 1224" board (all the HPAs feature the SMART 1224 board) which uses beefy relays to switch the battery power between the amp, or the charger. You will also hear the click when you turn it OFF (as the relay connects the battery charge to the battery).

As of August 2009, all Red Wine Audio products (including the Signature 30.2 and 70.2) use the new "SMART 1224" board and 12V charger, so you will hear the same clicking sound upon power ON/OFF.

Quote:

No - the Isabellina HPA will only shut off when the battery is low. The red light on the power button on the front panel will begin to blink when the battery voltage is getting low, and then once it reaches the "trip point" monitored by the SMART 1224 board, it will automatically switch off and begin recharging for you - assuming your battery charger is plugged into the back panel, which is should be because you want to charge the battery after each listening session - no matter how long or short your listening session was. This will prolong the life of the SLA battery, and this is all detailed in the Isabellina HPA Owner's Manual.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions...

Happy Listening!

Vinnie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back