Isabellina HPA - Owner's Thread and Impressions
Sep 29, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #136 of 532
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi HeadphoneAddict,

Maybe it is time for you to own an HPA, too!
biggrin.gif
The "HPA" is meant to be with you - it is destiny
smile_phones.gif

Email me...

Best regards,

Vinnie

I'll give it some thought, but right now I'm overflowing in amps and DACs, but not in money.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #139 of 532
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sell a kidney!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Well, I'm thinking hard about this one. I could sell the Amphora and a couple of other small amps or a headphone or two to pay for one of these, and I am very intrigued by this particular DAC/amp.

There are some things I would miss from the Amphora. The HPA wont let me feed my iMod or other analog signal into it, which I am happy I can do with the Amphora. Currently I feed the Amphora from a nice DAC like my Pico DAC or PS Audio DAC depending on what room I move it to. And the Amphora is much smaller and easier to move around with better battery life. Howver, because the 12v power supply in the HPA I believe this would be an upgrade in power and/or sound over the Amphora with its 9v supply (actually 8.4).

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #140 of 532
You could always put a wadia on top for your imod. Just more money. Too bad there wasnt a amphora trade up option. Hmmmm.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #141 of 532
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could always put a wadia on top for your imod. Just more money. Too bad there wasnt a amphora trade up option. Hmmmm.

Well, actually I do have the DLO Homedock HD with optical out that sounds as good as a Vcap dock when I feed it into my PS Audio or Apogee mini-DAC. I forgot all about that.

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #142 of 532
Quote:

There are some things I would miss from the Amphora. The HPA wont let me feed my iMod or other analog signal into it, which I am happy I can do with the Amphora. Currently I feed the Amphora from a nice DAC like my Pico DAC or PS Audio DAC depending on what room I move it to. And the Amphora is much smaller and easier to move around with better battery life. Howver, because the 12v power supply in the HPA I believe this would be an upgrade in power and/or sound over the Amphora with its 9v supply (actually 8.4).

What are you talking about... Why would you want to feed your iPod analog signal into an Isabellina??? The Isabellina has a far superior digital to analog converter...

Oct 2, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #143 of 532
Quote:

Originally Posted by D_S /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are you talking about... Why would you want to feed your iPod analog signal into an Isabellina??? The Isabellina has a far superior digital to analog converter...

Have you ever heard the Red Wine Audio "iMod"?

It's basically a modded iPod by the same Vinnie R. who makes the HPA. It's pretty close to the level of an Apogee Duet or Pico DAC. If iMod is used with high quality Vcap DC blocking caps between the line out dock and amp (included in the Amphora amp) it will sound quite good as a digital media server. There is not always a digital output in every music source, and we don't always want to tie up our computer as a hard drive based music server.

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #145 of 532
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bredin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Isabellina HPA works great under linux if anyone wonders. Using it with alsa atm.

Hi Bredin,

Thanks for sharing this info!

Best regards,

Vinnie

Oct 11, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #146 of 532
I was close to unloading my Amphora and WA6 for one of these, but now my target is a Woo WES electrostatic amp, or a pair of matched eXStata and EHHA amps for my Stax and K1000. There is just way toooo much neat stuff out there to covet.

Oct 18, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #150 of 532
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bredin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anyone who dislikes anything with the Isabellina HPA sound-wise?

It's not an Isabella.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back