Is Yuin PK1 better than Shure SE310, 420, or perhaps 530?
Aug 6, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #16 of 28
IMHO they are very different sounding. SE530 has more bass and a wooly-warmer sound overall. Both are pretty detail revealing IMHO. Biggest difference is the SE530 has more bass impact, and the PK1 is more ambient and spatious sounding (ruling out isolation characteristics). Note also the PK1 CAN have some very nice bass impact, but it takes the right amp to get it.

Aug 7, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #18 of 28
PK1s are definitely my favorites, they sound amazing properly amped (iBasso T2 seems to do mighty fine job). As long as you don't need isolation, I'd definitely recommend them.

Aug 7, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #19 of 28
I'm not exactly contributing to the thread when I admit I can't handle canal phones or anything in my ear, so there goes the comparison between the shure's, but for my two cents worth the PK-1's are quite an amazing set of earbuds and after putting on the Radio Shack foamies, they sound even better. Those that dismiss them do at their own peril and frankly they'll be missing out on some damn fine sound.

Aug 8, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #21 of 28
If memory serves me correctly, I sold the UM1s because the highs/detail just weren't there for me. They are a great form factor IEM, however, comfy. I also didn't like the over the ear deal (others do). I sold the PK2s to move up to the PK1s. But head to head, I favor the PK2s, which also save you some $$$.

Aug 8, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by liquidfireboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my small Sony DAP managed to drive the PK1 to a very loud volume in a quiet environment. And I think the Sony's only rated for 5mw+5mw or something.

Yeah, the Sony daps have weak output, but loud sound. Which one do you have? I've got the 706 and 808, and just wondered if it was one of those you used with the PK1. Sony volumes normally go to 30, what level were you listening at?

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was able to spend three weeks with the Shures you mentioned at home, and I own the PK1s. The PK1s do require an amp to sound their best. Amped, they are significantly "better" than the SE310s, imo, simply due to the tone problems I encountered with that model. The 420s and 530s did not have the same glaring problem and I would be happy with either, but I admit to never having listened to them unamped. I prefer my PK1s only because the isolation of iems isn't practical for the type of listening I do when I'm not using a full-sized can (work, bed). When I use iems (rarely), I like my Etys just fine.

Please clarify...

Ply

Aug 9, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #24 of 28
I think PK1 sounds similar to er4p. but its quantity of bass is much more than 4p. but the tremble is not as extensive as it. I would like to use word balanced here to discribe the difference between PK1 and er4p.

Another thing i want to say is that the piano from pk1 is excellent. soundstage is visible.sometimes i feel i am wearing a pair of cans instead of earbuds, if you what i mean here.

of course, headphone amp is a huge problem.

Aug 9, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #25 of 28
moonsurf, i might answer your second question - i got the combo :p

D2 is "almost" enough to drive PK1. with EQ set evenly to 11 and volume set to 7 and up, the sound is pretty darn good. yet you'd be still hard pressed to push PK1 to their full potential - after 14-15 volume mark, you can feel the player is having a hard time to cope (hard to make it louder).

basically,with an amp the sound is better; straight from D2 the sound is still very nice.

Aug 9, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #26 of 28
PK 1 is also popular in Thailand.
Thai people find that PK1 + Ibasso T2 working great together.

I myself use PK2. Love it, no amp require, suitable for portable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #27 of 28
I've listened to the PK1 extensively amped and it is one incredible earbud. I've also listened to the SE530, but maybe not long enought to make a direct comparison. To my ears the SE530 sounded just a little better than the UM1. They sound similar in that they have a very warm and smooth midrange, but they lack detail and the high end. I think this is really a problem with the armature design and dynamic phones like the PK1 have much better frequency response and detail. In my opinion, the PK1 is definitely better than the SE530 as it sounds very transparent and open. Soundstage is amazing and the bass impact is excellent. It goes very deep and not bloated at all. The midrange is very smooth and vocals are amazing. I actually like the sound better than the Grado SR80 which sounds veiled in comparison with it. In fact, it almost compares with my HD580 which has slightly more detail and a more extended high end. But, the PK1 has a better bass response.
smily_headphones1.gif
I will definitely recommend the PK1, but make sure you get a nice amplifier to go with it. Cheers.

Nov 1, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #28 of 28
PK1 is a little phone, but can be a giant under proper amped. It sounds amaizing for such an ordinary looking phone. when fully drived, like ER4B, it can really be forgotten what you are wearing, like floating in the air
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back