Is Yuin PK1 better than Shure SE310, 420, or perhaps 530?
Aug 6, 2007 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

moonsurf

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

For those of you who have heard PK1, I have read on one of the threads that PK1's sound signature is similar to Shure SE530. I am about to jump ahead on PK1, but still curious if there are someone out there who think PK1 is actually better than any of those Shures I listed on title. Thank you advance for your feedback! Oh, just one more question, is a portable amp must for Pk1? Even for Cowon X5?

Aug 6, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #2 of 28
Not sure how powerful the internal amp on the Cowon is, but the highish impedance of the PK1s would probably benefit from a dedicated external. The PK2s however are kind of PK1s for portable, if I understand correctly.

Make sure also that any comparisons stated are in quiet environments since they are earbuds and not isolating like the Shures. Of course, that's also something I'm sure you've considered ....

Aug 6, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 28
I've owned a cowon mp3 player before, and I must say they are the best as far as sound quality in mp3 players. If your headphones don't sound good w/ the cowon w/o an amp, then it's the headphone.

Aug 6, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned a cowon mp3 player before, and I must say they are the best as far as sound quality in mp3 players. If your headphones don't sound good w/ the cowon w/o an amp, then it's the headphone.

The question isn't how good the sound quality of the Cowon is, but will it be able to drive a headphone that is 150 ohms, which the PK1 is. I'm guessing they'll sound okay, but that's a lot of ohmage for any portable player to drive sufficiently. I'd say get a portable amp or go for the PK2's.

Aug 6, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #6 of 28
They do compete pretty well against my se530s amped with my TH. But as unclejr has said there's no isolation with them, so their great sound is lost when commuting,

Aug 6, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #7 of 28
I had listened to PK1.

Its middle high frequency very outstanding.

But the transverse direction sound field is very anomalous.

Style and SHURE are different.

That's my feeling.

Aug 6, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #8 of 28
Thanks a lot guys! To be able to compete head to head with Shure 530, PK1 gotta be a really great set of earphones. I want to be able to hear when someone talks to me on work, also ability to pick up my phone. Therefore, IEM was just NOT for me. Also, I have very sensitive years, that I feel some numb feeling after listening to closed type headphones for couple hours. So, I am almost ready to jump on PK1, now my only other option is Bose IE. Is anyone out there who has experienced both phones?

Aug 6, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonsurf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot guys! To be able to compete head to head with Shure 530, PK1 gotta be a really great set of earphones. I want to be able to hear when someone talks to me on work, also ability to pick up my phone. Therefore, IEM was just NOT for me. Also, I have very sensitive years, that I feel some numb feeling after listening to closed type headphones for couple hours. So, I am almost ready to jump on PK1, now my only other option is Bose IE. Is anyone out there who has experienced both phones?

I own both (just got the PK1s) and no comparison (someone gave me the Bose IEMs for free). Having said that, if I EQ the Bose with a little high end boost, they aren't the worst things I've ever heard. I have pink noised the PK1s for a day, and used them both amped and unamped, and they do need some power. In fact, both my Creative Zen V and Vision M need to go to max volume (25) and while the PK1s deliver sound, it's pretty tame (though it does sound great).

So you might want to try out the PK2s, and save the $70 or so. I don't like to carry an amp around with me, but will to use the PK1s portably. They do sound excellent, and with a very small amp/DAP, worth the extra piece of gear.

As for the Bose, I'd say they are worth about $35, no more. Bass is too muddy. Certainly not worth $99.

Aug 6, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonsurf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BOSE IE sound is not pleasant to hear.Low frequency loose and feeling does not condense.You also can consider purchase A8 in fact.

Aug 6, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The question isn't how good the sound quality of the Cowon is, but will it be able to drive a headphone that is 150 ohms, which the PK1 is. I'm guessing they'll sound okay, but that's a lot of ohmage for any portable player to drive sufficiently. I'd say get a portable amp or go for the PK2's.

my small Sony DAP managed to drive the PK1 to a very loud volume in a quiet environment. And I think the Sony's only rated for 5mw+5mw or something.

Aug 6, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #13 of 28
I would say go with the Yuins, after having heard the Bose IEs. It's not so much the muddy bass but the boomy midrange that I didn't like.

I echo the comment about looking at the PK2 if you are not planning on using an external headphone amp.

Aug 6, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #14 of 28
Just got back from a walk with the PK1s and my Penguin CMOY, and it makes a major difference. I guess the Sony DAPs are more efficient than the Creatives, cause mine just doesn't get the volume without an amp. Maybe Cowon is more on the Sony level.

As for the Bose, nowhere near worth $99. I got them for the right price.

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #15 of 28
I was able to spend three weeks with the Shures you mentioned at home, and I own the PK1s. The PK1s do require an amp to sound their best. Amped, they are significantly "better" than the SE310s, imo, simply due to the tone problems I encountered with that model. The 420s and 530s did not have the same glaring problem and I would be happy with either, but I admit to never having listened to them unamped. I prefer my PK1s only because the isolation of iems isn't practical for the type of listening I do when I'm not using a full-sized can (work, bed). When I use iems (rarely), I like my Etys just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back