Is Your Memory TOO GOOD?
Aug 22, 2003 at 11:38 PM Post #16 of 37
If I were to be known for anything in life...say from people who knew me once upon a time etc...they would likely say that I had an amazing memory. I have a photographic memory. Read a page, reiterate it verbatim kinda thing. Makes studying really really nice
wink.gif

Aug 23, 2003 at 12:16 AM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
My memory is pretty good, and really doesn't seem to be lacking at all (of course some thing fall through the cracks,
biggrin.gif
)

But it's to the point that I can't "rewatch" movies, "reread" books, or really "relisten" to a lot of music (to a lesser extent). I just remember all of it the first time I experience it, and I can't really enjoy it again because I know what's coming or what happens.

A suggestion Bill: It is very good to have a good memory, but IMPO it doesn't matter if you know what is comming next, if you like it, and enjoy it, (most of the times, in music at least, we know what is comming next, as we have heard the same theme hundreds of times, with the exception of new CDs) but if you feel bored, just knowing what is comming next, sorry budy but you did not enjoy it, or didn't like it, not even the first time, try a different stuff then, more complicated, with more textures, or more complex harmonies, etc....jazz is very good for that, but IMO is not supposed that we find something new everytime we listen something, or read something that already have read, or whatch a movie that you already had seen, and that happen to everybody........but we enjoy it everytime we listen, read or watch again the theme is question...
What happen, at least to me, is that most of the times I always find something new, even an insignificant whistle, a little sound here or there, or a whisper, etc...try it carefully and you will find them.....once you know what is comming next in the main scene, you have more time to pay attention to the insignificant details behind that are behind it, another suggestion may be to try lots of CDs, hundreds, I doubt you will remember all of them with all details..................just my two cents....this way you may have something new everytime you listen to it....

Aug 23, 2003 at 12:42 AM Post #19 of 37
Appreciate the comments Sov.

It's not that I don't enjoy the stuff I don't listen to, or that I don't enjoy what's coming next; it's just that I could "replay it" in my mind when I think about it, so I don't necessarily need to listen to it.

I just don't get enjoyment of "what's coming next" necessarily. When I know what to expect, it could be a bit of a turnoff for me (depending on the context of the situation).

And if I'd forget some of what I did enjoy, I could enjoy it again.

Aug 23, 2003 at 2:05 AM Post #20 of 37
Yup, i always find myself remembering lots of things, loads of little things aswell, like the exact events that happened on a particular night in my life (not just any old night, e.g. a night i went to a concert and i can remember what i did before, what happened throughout and everything about going home and such) I can also recite the whole script to Hackers the movie
confused.gif

Aug 23, 2003 at 2:48 AM Post #21 of 37
I have a bad memory in terms of remembering to do things, but I can remember a lot of useless facts. I think it is a case of getting distracted and then forgetting to do something.

Aug 23, 2003 at 3:28 AM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Chinchy
I have the opposite. I have terrible short term memory and bad long term memory as well. I can't remember anything from before I was 10, but I think that's been pushed up to 12 to 14 or so. The only things I remember are short glimpses and flashes of random events. But I think I have selective memory. I only remember what is interesting to me, and I guess a lot of my childhood wasn't. I can barely remember anything at work, and everything else is a blur. It's weird, because the only things I really retain are those interesting and useless factoids.

I have the same problem. I'm not even eighteen, and yet I have difficulty recalling things from the past year. I think it's because my life is so uneventful and bland. Also, anything that occurred during the elementary years (only about 6 years ago, scarily enough) is more or less completely missing from my memory. I have to write things down to remember them in the present. I don't think it helps that I'm always reminding myself of my awful memory - negative reinforcement.

Aug 23, 2003 at 4:10 AM Post #23 of 37
Well this definitely sounds strange to me. I'd say you're all just tooting your own horn.
biggrin.gif
(the ones actually complaining about their flawless memory, that is
wink.gif
) Either that or you've gotta be the worst pessimists I've ever seen.
tongue.gif

If you're recalling what's going to happen next all the time when you're watching a movie, you're doing it wrong. Kinda like saying, "I'm trying to go to sleep, but I keep doing physics problems in my head. It sucks!" Don't do physics problems in your head when you're trying to sleep, and don't think about what's going to happen next when you're watching a movie.
wink.gif

Aug 23, 2003 at 5:35 AM Post #24 of 37
yes, do not think about it, just listen...no more, no less. i can listen to music over and over again, even if i can remember every single note. so unless you guys can't help remembering the next lines in music, tell yourself not to. i don't see why your brains would be doing this automatically though...but who knows, everyone is unique in their own way???

Aug 23, 2003 at 6:21 AM Post #25 of 37
It's not really tooting our own horn. I mean, we all store this stuff in our memories. It's just retrieving it that can be tricky. At least, that's what I recall from psyche 101.
wink.gif

My mom is the opposite. She's learned to block things from early childhood on. It's to the point now that her short-term memory is so bad that she'll write notes to herself and then loose the notes. She doesn't much like brain teasers.

Contrast this with my 100-year old grandmother-in-law who's recall is flawless and has the mind of a 20 year-old. I'm convinced she's immortal. She says her secret is that she's always a student, always learning something new.

I have this one problem, and I dunno if it's memory or not, but if I'm thinking about about a lot of things, and I have something to communicate, I forget what I was going to say in the immediate future, as in the next phrase. The train totally derails and I become an idiot. Lot of good my memory does me then.

I've met people with photographic memories, and now that I don't have. I can't recite a page of dialog just like that. I can watch a movie in my mind's eye. I can listen to music in my mind's ear. I think most of us can do that. The question is if you have enough time on your hands to try.
wink.gif

Aug 23, 2003 at 6:25 AM Post #26 of 37
A good memory can be a curse. Bless the giant killers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe that's why I like Hemingway so much.

Like some of you, I have a PDA for amusement. It doesn't help me track appointments, because I remember them before it can remind me. It does come in handy for addresses and numbers, though.

Aug 23, 2003 at 10:49 AM Post #27 of 37
Here's a good test for memory.

Can you see your true love's face when you close your eyes from memory? i.e. remember what she looked like visually.

Aug 23, 2003 at 2:10 PM Post #28 of 37
I just forgot my password to head-fi. Well at least I still remember my username and email.
tongue.gif

Aug 23, 2003 at 5:21 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn

Can you see your true love's face when you close your eyes from memory? i.e. remember what she looked like visually.

while my memory is actually quite good, i happen to have prosopagnosia, which if i haven't stated before. is freaking annoying.

i do however remember and very much miss the way she smelled.
frown.gif

Aug 23, 2003 at 5:59 PM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn

Yep! She was beautiful too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back