Is Your Memory TOO GOOD?
Aug 23, 2003 at 6:08 PM Post #31 of 37
The minutiae of any work of art are so vast and various that what one paid attention to the first time around has little to do with what one will find the second time (or even the twenty-second).

For me, the *surface* plot of a film is the least interesting part. I'm more interested in the characterization and aesthetics, and in the kind of delayed-reaction subtleties of plot and characterization that won't be caught until you actually think about what you've seen. 70s Eurotrash flicks are especially rich in subtle-to-inadvertent plot and character implications.

Also:

If you're watching Shakespeare plays and finding nothing new the second time, then you're either the greatest writer the world has ever known or you should be on ADD medication of some kind (naturopaths recommend a non-toxic mental exercise called *paying attention*).

(This post written while on hold with a Japanese hair salon called Hoshi Coupe.)

Aug 23, 2003 at 6:58 PM Post #32 of 37
I do agree that most movies and books are about punchlines, and in a lot of cases, the effect of the punch in that punchline is much subdued after the first hearing/reading/watching/whatever. But I disagree completely that music is different. Sure, there is a lot of music which is "moment" oriented -- Skinny Puppy's Last Rites comes to mind. But it's not a punchline in the same story-telling sense, it's more of a localized climax of sorts. So no, I don't have that problem with music, but I do, with books and movies.

Aug 23, 2003 at 11:42 PM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
while my memory is actually quite good, i happen to have prosopagnosia, which if i haven't stated before. is freaking annoying.

i do however remember and very much miss the way she smelled.
frown.gif

aww
frown.gif
perhaps I shouldnt have asked.

Quote:

Yep! She was beautiful too.

I envy you.

My memory is generally very good but the one thing I want to remember...I cant. And somethings you want to forget...you cant.

I can still remember dreams I had when I was like 4-5 yrs old vividly.

Aug 24, 2003 at 12:05 AM Post #34 of 37
I can remember some dreams, but not offhand. The most vivid dream I've ever had was my StarCraft (2?) dream. I can still remember images from it. The morning I woke up from it, I wrote it down in a post. I then revised it and saved it. It's in a document on my comp and, well, here it is!

Quote:

The SC-2 dream

……I am standing among marines all clothed in blue armor, although some are purple. They are grouped as follows: 11 blue marines, and one purple marine (leader) I am in control, yet I am also on the ground. It is strange because I am both sitting at a computer, grouping them together, and also the leader on the ground (teal, of course) I have a blaster in my hand from Star Wars that I designed myself in real life (although it is only a fantasy). It is a slivery green and shoots small, yet amazingly powerful blue blasts. All of the other marines have machine guns. For some reason, we are moving out, because there is a zerg infestation in some kind of garbage-processing plant (similar to ns_hideout) We climb over rubble blocking the entrance, and infiltrate. We are immediately met with a considerable hydralisk force. The battle is amazingly real, and so so cool. I am fighting in a real StarCraft battle, it is as if I have been placed inside one of the cut scenes in place of a marine. I am shooting, I am killing. Next, the story shifts to more of a Jurassic park type game, but we are all the same. We are at the bottom of a huge square stairwell that we can see all the way up. (I am now completely in control of my character, I am not sitting in front of a keyboard at the same time anymore) We must escape the the top, but I stay on the bottom with a group members. We see the T-Rex, it has escaped form the giant cage, I shoot in its mouth, where it is vulnerable (it is about to eat me). I run up the stairs, but it goes on ahead of me, fast. It catches up to some of my teammates and begins to eat them. Finally I see it across from me, 2 flights up. I shoot and kill it with three carefully placed shots. We run up to the top and the story changed back to StarCraft. We are being pursued by hydralisks again. We are no in some kind of long cage-like bathroom---????? Whatever. We run into the long caged cells. I am in the back, another is in the front (we are squished in 2 and 3. I can see through the bars to the other cells) They are coming, the hydralisks, they are hungry. they are going to eat us. A man next to me says that I am lucky because I have a gun with one shot left in the battery (you all know what I mean--suicide) I have a decision. I can shoot myself in he head and save myself from a slow, painful, and gruesome death of being eaten by a hydralisk, or I can risk it--maybe the hydralisk will eat the person in front of me and walk away. The dream ends as the hydralisks march into the rooms and start breaking down the cage-doors……

Also, you will have to have played both StarCraft and Jedi Outcast to know what I'm talking about. Even as I just read it, I can't remember the small details I wrote down here. Pretty unbelievable.

Aug 24, 2003 at 12:09 AM Post #35 of 37
My memory seems to be deteriorating with dependence on computers. Google, IMDB, CDDB, bookmarks, etc. The fact that I can often find things by periphery information makes it worse.

Aug 24, 2003 at 12:15 AM Post #36 of 37
I had this dream that I was in Aliens (tm) as a marine. We were like on a seach n distroy on a cap ship. I was like killing all these aliens which was mad fun and being scary as hell.

(fast forwarding onwards in the dream)

We come past a corridoor and see a few aliens...they being to charge at us...I took down all but 1 then my gun jams...the alien runs and jumps at me teeth and all and at about 1m next to me in mid flight a teamate shoots it *SPLAT* the impact made me fly to the wall I looked at him then I wake up.

That was one wickedly kewl dream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back