Is you hearing symmetric?
Mar 25, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #31 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by SP Wild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK its really bugging me now.

what does IME and AFAIK mean? I see it all the time but never figured it out. IMO = in my opinion - I worked out, but IME?

In my expirience? As far as I know? :p IIRC = if I recall correctly, YMMV your music may vary.

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #32 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The matching between left/right is usually only done at one or a handful at most of frequencies. Measurements show the matching between headphones at any price range to be quite a bit worse than 1dB, except a few headphones with specified tolerances across the entire spectrum. HeadRoom has graphs of these where you can see this for yourself.

Fascinating

Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, I get this too!

I have yet to have any formal testing, but any testing I do would suggest I have symetrical hearing. Yet, sometimes when I listen to music, on occasion, I start wondering if everything is equal!

However, I think that due to the crazy channel separation and low crosstalk, it will simply seem like this at different parts of a song. Like a ride being only in one ear, bass being in the other. Different frequencies are perceived at different volumes for the same loudness etc etc.

If I am not worrying about it, I never notice. It is only when I worry that I think so...

Even if your hearing isn't perfect, I would just try and forget about it, as there is nothing you can really to.

Also, I had an ear blocked by fluid for a while and had to have a nasal steroid to clear that up. After I noticed I stopped worrying almost completely.

This could have to do with the concept of the dominant ear; it's sort of like a dominant hand.

Also, you can EQ every channel seperately in a media player like Foobar2000

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #33 of 34
While not directly related to asymmetries between ears, I found this to be applicable to the discussion. It's a good read: Equal-loudness contour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bottom line is that your ear/brain system doesn't necessarily have a flat frequency response (in terms of perceived loudness.) So it's not odd that you may have differences between your ears.

Edit: The shape of these curves looks similar to some of the data posted in this thread, too!
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #34 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my expirience? As far as I know? :p IIRC = if I recall correctly, YMMV your music may vary.

You answered my next question - cheers!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back