Is Xin still in business?
Dec 10, 2006 at 11:31 AM Post #31 of 44
Well, I bought over 4 Xin Supermacro Products since the day of 1st supermacro. It has always been around 3 weeks delivery time. But with supermacro IV, it took me over 2 months. That's because he was having problems with the product development itself. so he had to stop shipping until the problems resolved. Now that it's final, he is in the production mode again. so I believe the new order should be delivered much faster and more promptly. In the mean time, he is probably too busy fulfilling his back orders.

Supermacro IV is WORTH WAITING FOR!!
Here it's my follow up impressions!
Burning in my Supermacro MAX-OUT OPA627, High-C buffer now 200 hours.

GOD I have to come back, again!! Supermacro IV becomes a totally different beast!!! BIG SOUNDSTAGE!! it's very very close to SR-71 in terms of soundstage but with much better resolution much more involving! The first time I received my supermacro I thought, hmmm, it's a different synergy, with SR-71 being very airy and airy. But WOAH! supermacro IV has completely converted now, very very open and airy! I can't believe it.

So now after 200hrs Supermacro has the soundstage very very close to SR-71 with the resolution and depth beyond SR-71, you feel like moving your head and body, you are part of the music. SR-71 sounds as if you are listening to the music from a distance, less involving. It's like SR-71 is trying to put you in a more relaxing sleepy mood, and Supermacro IV is more like SR-71 on Red Bull Caffeine drink!

I have to really concentrate now to notice the difference in soundstage/air between Supermacro IV and SR-71. I mean it's really that close now with Beyer DT770 and HD650. But I can still notice a wider soundstage and sweeter sound with Sensaphonics 2X-S.

Supermacro IV has a much better bass extension than SR-71, very tight, solid, deep, and defined. The bass in SR-71 is kinda loose, relaxed and blurry in comparison. Supermacro IV is more on the warm side. SR-71 is more on the sweet side(good for sweet dreams!).

So it's no longer about the synergy, instead it's about the mood. you want to be part of the music? or you are about to go to bed listening to your headphones

Dec 10, 2006 at 11:39 AM Post #32 of 44
Yes I they should start flowing. The communication could be much better but the amps are among the best and this generation of IV should be the best. Hopefully mine will be shipped back to me this next week and I am looking forward to it.

Dec 10, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #34 of 44
I sent my SuperMini IV in for the latest upgrade on Nov. 3 and received it back yesterday (Dec. 9). Between the initial wait (2 months) and two upgrades (about another 2 months collectively) it is finally here but the wait seems to have been worth it. The latest tweaks now allow a wider range of opamps on the 3/4 channel than before. No hiss unless at the maximum volume setting, which is way too loud for listening purposes. I have had fun last night and this morning rolling various opamp combinations (AD822, AD823, AD826, OPA2134, OP275, LM6172, and AD8397), tweaking the sound to complement my Shure E4s. I think that I got it where I like it (AD823 on L/R, AD8397 on 3/4, and bass boost enabled). Now I can just sit back and enjoy listening to my music.
icon10.gif

Dec 10, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #35 of 44
To set the delays in context, as I understand it, Xin wasn't happy with the new 4 channel amps and told anyone that they could send theirs in for free upgrades. That seriously slowed down production. But this seems to me like incredible customer serivce. Think about how much money he lost doing all of those free upgrades because the amps weren't up to his standards. He would have made a lot more money if he had just said "screw it" and kept on taking orders.

Now it was definitely quirky and not well executed (a big message on the ordering page would have been in order), but it does seem to me quite commendable.

Dec 10, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sent an Email to Dr. Xin yesterday morning and he replied yesterday's evening. My Supermacro-LE should ship out next week.

Miguel, what was your order date? Are you still going for the same setup as Xin originally recommended?

Dec 10, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuppa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Miguel, what was your order date? Are you still going for the same setup as Xin originally recommended?

It is a long story which starts in mid August and goes thru a cancellation and a re-order. Originally I had ordered the Supermicro IV and I changed it to the Supermacro-LE. As far as OP Amps I requested:

Like I would like for you to ship it with the AD8616 for L/R and AD8656 for 3rd/4th. In addition I would like to purchase the ST-WV that requires buffer to output more current, with two EL8201. One in the L/R after the ST-WV, one in the 3rd/4th.

Hope this helps.

Dec 10, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

It is a long story which starts in mid August and goes thru a cancellation and a re-order. Originally I had ordered the Supermicro IV and I changed it to the Supermacro-LE. As far as OP Amps I requested:

Like I would like for you to ship it with the AD8616 for L/R and AD8656 for 3rd/4th. In addition I would like to purchase the ST-WV that requires buffer to output more current, with two EL8201. One in the L/R after the ST-WV, one in the 3rd/4th.

Hope this helps.

Thought so -I've got the same setup on order, but a month later
frown.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Hope this helps.

For your reference, I compared two configurations: AD8616 for L&R/AD8656 for 3rd and 4th to AD8616 for all. I prefer the sound of using AD8616 for all channels as it offered more layers and bigger soundstage. It would be a good idea to get both and see which on is your favorite.

Dec 11, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by debrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To set the delays in context, as I understand it, Xin wasn't happy with the new 4 channel amps and told anyone that they could send theirs in for free upgrades. That seriously slowed down production. But this seems to me like incredible customer serivce. Think about how much money he lost doing all of those free upgrades because the amps weren't up to his standards. He would have made a lot more money if he had just said "screw it" and kept on taking orders.

Now it was definitely quirky and not well executed (a big message on the ordering page would have been in order), but it does seem to me quite commendable.

Very good point. If it weren't for the problem with the crossfeed on my Mini I would've been happy with how the amp sounded as is, with no upgrade. As mentioned about 100 times before is the waiting factor...yes it sucks and could be avoided with better management but that's the price we pay if we want to play.

Dec 11, 2006 at 2:28 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by jxb2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I started this thread, but got email yesterday that amp would be shipped today. I'm trying to be hopeful.

WOW! congratulations!!
smily_headphones1.gif
Please do allow sometime to burn-in.
smily_headphones1.gif
it's such a great little amp.

Dec 11, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by jxb2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I started this thread, but got email yesterday that amp would be shipped today. I'm trying to be hopeful.

Great. Let us know what you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back