Is Ultrasone Pro 750 > HFI 780?
Mar 16, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 42
I actually had a chance to audition both. These are just my opinions. It might help to mention that I mainly listen to electronic music (trance, dnb, etc) so I'm not sure this will help.

The 780's I tried had insane bass just running out of a netbook. They were also very quick and punchy. It is definitely the bassiest phone I've heard so far. Some people hate these phones and some people love them. Honestly, I really liked them when I auditioned them. The highs can be harsh and some say the bass is too much but I didn't have these issues. If you get the chance you should audition them.

Compared to the 780's the 750's are more refined, had more detail, better highs, and it seemed a lit less bass but it was better controlled, at least to my ears. To me, there wasn't a radical difference (except in regard to detail) but enough to pick up on after a good listen. They were also more comfortable.

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 42
The bass is not bloated on the Pro 750. It was quite nice with my tube amp. The HFI 780 is an ok headphone, but I feel the Pro 750 does many things better.

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 42
The 750's for sure, the 780s could have a better look but i find them fatiguing...the important is the sound quality.

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #6 of 42
So, I guess I should just go the Pro 750, is that right? As I have also heard the difference between pro 750 and pro 900 is not that big. Is that true?

If so, I would just stick with pro 750, if not perhaps should give the ultrasone pro 900 a try.

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #7 of 42
There are many who think the bass is bloated and over done on the Pro 900. I actually quite liked it, especially with a slightly modified version of the Kees mod.
I also like the look of the 900 better than the 750, colour scheme and all.
Either way, they are fine phones. Hopefully you will be able to try them out somewhere near you to help you make a choice.

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel neither, they are old Ultrasone models, just bloated bass.

Sorry to hear about your experience k. When did you sell your PRO750s and HFI-780s? or do you still have them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceanwave1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I guess I should just go the Pro 750, is that right? As I have also heard the difference between pro 750 and pro 900 is not that big. Is that true?

If so, I would just stick with pro 750, if not perhaps should give the ultrasone pro 900 a try.

Each Ultrasone brings something to the table. It all depends what you are looking for. Most important, what is your musical preference? What will you be pairing them with?

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by oceanwave1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Music Preference is classical, the use will be for watching movies and also listening to classicals. I'll be using audio compass and also millet hybrid amp.

Sounds great...
beerchug.gif

The 2 amps you have will drive them well. I don't listen to classical, so can't help there, sorry.

Just keep in mind, when it comes to Ultrasone the motto is- "Love 'em or hate 'em". I'm in the former camp. Their sound is not for everyone and many opinions will be different.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #11 of 42
The answer to your question depends on your tastes. In my opinion, the Pro 750 is the better of the two by a rather significant measure. It is important to factor in the idea of how you will utilize these phones. The Ultrasone Pro series was intended and designed for audio professionals who use headphones for primarily analytical listening. Of course, the Pro 750 may also be used for enjoyment listening (if one enjoys their sound). The 780 was designed primarily for the amateur "home listener". And, for it's intended purpose the 780 is a very nice sounding headphone, IMO.
In one of your posts you mentioned listening to Classical Music. I often listen to Classical Music with the Pro 750 which renders a beautiful and realistic sound of the music as a whole and of each instrument in the orchestra.
I hope this helps you.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #14 of 42
Which one will be suggested to a ED8 user? I enjoy ED8 much in home, and would like to get one cheaper for office or other casual use. Seems like PRO900 will be great but I wonder if there are some even cheaper.

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #15 of 42
I dont think there is anything from ultrasone that sounds like an ed8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back