Is transparency good in an headphone amp
Jul 19, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #17 of 22
I agree that transparency need not be bright sounding. I think all components need to let the information pass through and not veil the sound. Many tube components are noted for their transparency, but not at the expense of the overall musical experience being delivered.

Jul 19, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #18 of 22
Isn´t transparency kind of a lighter form of invisibility?

Meaning that a transparent amp shouldn´t have much colouration and be neither warm or bright? if you have a neutral source/headphones.

Jul 19, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #19 of 22
That is my thought as well.  I always equated transparency with neither adding nor removing any sound to the original source signal.  Warmth and coolness would be what I call addition the recording.

Quote:
Isn´t transparency kind of a lighter form of invisibility?

Meaning that a transparent amp shouldn´t have much colouration and be neither warm or bright? if you have a neutral source/headphones.

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #20 of 22

Quote:
That is my thought as well.  I always equated transparency with neither adding nor removing any sound to the original source signal.  Warmth and coolness would be what I call addition the recording.

You're right.

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #21 of 22
There are actually 2 definitions.  The first one is as you say.  If I am playing a piano in a room, it's 100% transparent. The highs, the lows, nor the midrange are spotlighted (if a decent room).  I am just taking in the musical whole.  Unfortunately, most audiophile equipment is not transparent in this way.  Some engineers are better than others, but most still fail at producing the musical whole.  But many are good at bringing out all of the details on the recordings and frequently causing listener fatigue.  Many audiophiles also call this "transparency.  Many reviewers also fail us in this respect when they start analyzing parts of the sound instead of dealing with the whole. 

The second definition is the "over-bearing", analytical detail vs. "warmth"/ lack of detail dicotomy, and I believe that is what the original post is all about.

Jul 23, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #22 of 22

Quote:

Don't confuse voicing (cold/neutral/warm) with transparency...they are related but generally speaking transparency concerns detail/resolution level independent of voicing. Voicing however will influence resolution if that voicing is tilted too far from neutral. It is a delicate and difficult balancing act to design a neutral, transparent and musical amp but it's not impossible

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back