Is this what open back headphones sound like?
Feb 16, 2013 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

KElyas

100+ Head-Fier
When using my closed back ones and pulling then slightly so that they hover over my ears they sound much nicer. Is that what open back sound like? 

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #2 of 9
Not really.  In general, to my ears, open headphones have larger sound stages and a different decay.  I prefer open over closed.

Quote:
When using my closed back ones and pulling then slightly so that they hover over my ears they sound much nicer. Is that what open back sound like? 

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Not really. In general, to my ears, open headphones have a wider and deeper soundstage and a more airy feel to the sound. The timbre of the sound seems more natural too. I have become so accustomed to open backs that i don't really want to purchase any closed backs at the moment.

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #4 of 9
How loud are you listening to your headphones that they still sound good pulled out from your ears?  I just tried that out myself with my D1001s, and at normal listening volume I could barely hear them like that.

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 9
not anymore than stepping back from a large home stereo makes it sound like a small home stereo; you'd really have to sample some to get the true sense. Others have described the various perceived differences... I concur.

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
not anymore than stepping back from a large home stereo makes it sound like a small home stereo; you'd really have to sample some to get the true sense. Others have described the various perceived differences... I concur.

okay, thanks guys for the insight. I'll do as you say and test them out myself as I just found out that there's a high-end headphone demo room not too far from where I live! 

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
I only pulled them by a few mm

but they're are too many different types of sound a closed and open can produce, so the description of pulling it a way by a bit to make it sound open is considered quite inaccurate and vague

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #9 of 9
the good news is that the sound is distinctively different... you'll see

Users who are viewing this thread

Back