is this supposed to be happening?
Jul 15, 2007 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kukrisna

100+ Head-Fier
Hey All,

So I've had the K701 for a few weeks now and have been slowly burning them in. They have about 100 hours of pink noise and maybe 10 of music.

And over the course of listening in every now and then, yes I can confirm that burn-in is having an effect. However, where they are right now, they seem to have less detail/bass then they did maybe 20 hours back. Right now, in terms of classical only, they sound about the same as my K501 with a slight edge to the K501 which seems a tad bit better at this point.

I'm running these through a Presonus Central Station. Is this supposed to be happening? Will the sound continue to change? The trouble with the pink noise burn in is that so many people have varying ideas on how they work so I don't know if I should continue burning with pink noise or not. I know the "300-hour" mark but then I also read that 1 hour of pink noise is like 3 hours of music. Then I also read that pink noise can shorten driver life. So I don't know what to do.

But right now, they sound so similar to the K501. To those who have owned both, was there ever a point where they sounded nearly identical? And if additional burn-in helped change that?

Thanks for the help!!

-Keith

Jul 15, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 7
This sounds like a commonly reported phenomenon. The K701 seem to take quite a while to settle down. I bought mine second hand so I'm unsure how many hours are on them, but they have always been far more resolving than my K501.

Where did you read that pink noise reduces driver life. Personally, I can't quite understand it.

Jul 15, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #4 of 7
Yup! I'd read about that happening quite a bit while researching the K701. Nothing to worry about! Happens all the time!!

...so I'd read!

Jul 15, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kukrisna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then I also read that pink noise can shorten driver life.

Rubbish

Quote:

Originally Posted by kukrisna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But right now, they sound so similar to the K501. To those who have owned both, was there ever a point where they sounded nearly identical? And if additional burn-in helped change that?

The K701 I used to own already had a lot of hours on it, so I never heard them "brand new". However during the entire time I owned them, I never found them to sound nearly identical. They were about equal in some ways, but in most aspects I found the K501 unquestionably better.

Jul 15, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #6 of 7
yeah, sounds like it's just going through change

wait it out until 300 hours. i don't know how accurate the statement about pink noise being 3x faster than normal music at burn in but the thing about shortening driver life is bollocks

Jul 15, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #7 of 7
ah - thanks all - that's a great load off - yeah that thread on pink-noise burn-in about a month back got me thinking a bit but i'll take it as something i shouldnt be worried about

thanks! will definitely wait it out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back