Is this safe? or will this blow my speakers?
Jan 6, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 11
Yeah a preamp is what you need/want.

Something like the Firestone MASS would work well. There are also some DACs that also double as preamps (like the Firestone Fubar) if you also need a DAC.

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #4 of 11
I have the same speakers and i use the wave volume bar control of windows or volume control of foobar to control the sound however i cant control bit perfect sound since a outside volume control is necessary.

Does adding a preamp to the speakers can enhanced the sound ? The speakers have already a volume control behind them but cant be deactivate to be used as power amp.

I'm also afraid to blow up the speakers with a preamp.

ps: the compass cant be used as a preamp at the same time as a DAC.

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Operandi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah a preamp is what you need/want.

Something like the Firestone MASS would work well. There are also some DACs that also double as preamps (like the Firestone Fubar) if you also need a DAC.

I checked on the Firestone website. They only ship to Europe. I'm in Canada, and I'd rather be able to purchase something locally so that I have the option of returning it if without shipping fees.

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverBlade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I checked on the Firestone website. They only ship to Europe. I'm in Canada, and I'd rather be able to purchase something locally so that I have the option of returning it if without shipping fees.

Audiophile Products ship to Canada and they give you 30 days to decide if you want to keep it or not, looks like a flat rate of $10 too.

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #7 of 11
Google passive preamp. There are a few passive pres out there. It's just an attenuator (volume control) and some passive circuitry to match the impedances. I know Luminous Audio made one a while back called the Axiom, that was not too expensive.

Luminous Audio Technology - Axiom Passive Preamp

that way you can run your player full volume with no quality loss and control the volume going into your powered speakers.

good luck

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bixby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Google passive preamp. There are a few passive pres out there. It's just an attenuator (volume control) and some passive circuitry to match the impedances. I know Luminous Audio made one a while back called the Axiom, that was not too expensive.

Luminous Audio Technology - Axiom Passive Preamp

that way you can run your player full volume whit no quality loss and control the volume going into your powered speakers.

good luck

YMMV, of course, but I'd trust somebody selling a $99 .5 meter digital cable about as far as I could drag them with a Lincoln Towncar sitting on their chest.

P

Jan 6, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YMMV, of course, but I'd trust somebody selling a $99 .5 meter digital cable about as far as I could drag them with a Lincoln Towncar sitting on their chest.

P

Do you always have to be so negative!

Beats a $900 digital cable!

Jan 7, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverBlade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet. I like the idea of the Firestone MASS. I'll have to keep that in mind.

So, I think this is a good setup:

Dacmagic > Firestone Mass > RCA > KRK Rokit-G2 5 monitors.

Yeah, that would be the correct setup, and yes the MASS looks pretty nice, really nice specs. I'm gona be picking a desktop preamp too but I'm also really looking at the Firestone Tubehead, kinda curious to hear how the "tube" changes the sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back