Is this possible??
Dec 31, 2011 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

nad1

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am a beginner DIYer and am interested in this idea for my first project. My plan is to get a pair of fake headphones and make them sound better. An example would be to get something like the fake beats pro (sorry I know head-fi users hate these) which according to reviews have decent build quality and would be a good candidate. However, I wouldn't even know where to begin. It would be great if someone would be able to push me into the right direction. Please feel free to contribute to the thread, any suggestions are welcome.

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 4
Fostex TR50P and the Superlux line are good candidates for modding and there are many threads with ideas and exampled

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #3 of 4
I agree with nc800, get a pair of Grados or T50RP and you can mod the hell out of them.  
If you want to use a beats enclosure though you could ask companies for replacement drivers.  I heard AKG sells replacement K240 drivers for $15, just email them. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 4
It's possible. I'd work on trying to get ahold of the AKG XXL driver capsules and their coupling and support brace/frame (and keep the bass tube as well) to then dremel to fit and secure into the fakies' headphone cups.

The XXL drivers are not named because of size. They're only 30mm. But they're what's powering the following headphones:
K 141 Mk II
K 142 HD
K 171 Mk II
K 172 HD
K 240 Mk II
K 242 HD
K 271 Mk II
K 272 HD

The only downside is that you might want an amp. They're not hard to drive, but you will only have a couple ticks left on the volume meter. For portable, maybe a Sansa Clip+ or Zip would be good. They're stronger than most other players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back