is this illegal?
Jun 25, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillerdu44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look at it this way:

1. You don't use headphones and blast your car stereo to the point where you can't hear anything else...thereby eventually causing you to go deaf. At this point you are just a deaf driver.

2. Use headphones and protect your hearing. If pulled over explain that you are trying to prevent the above scenario, and that being a headphone driver is the better long-term option.

I would rather have a person blast THEIR music in THEIR car. At least only THEY are at risk of going deaf. With headphones, WE are at risk b/c THEIR behavior.

I really don't care if you choose to blast your music and ruin your hearing. But I do care whwn it gets into the territory where your actions can harm others. How many drunk or buzzed drivers think "I'm OK, I can still drive"?

Jun 26, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #32 of 46
I would make the point that while in at least some juristictions there is no restrictions on deaf people having a driving licence, deaf people are acutely aware that they can't hear!!!! This means that they pay a great deal of attention to their surroundings to avoid being hit by cars or other things.

Most drivers struggle to pay attention to what is arround them at the best of times (at least in my opinion). Headphones would seem to be just another stupid distraction from the activity of DRIVING a car.

BTW - I also think that operating a mobile phone - hands free or not - is daft. The issue is the distraction of the discussion, not the action of holding the phone. If the most skilled drivers on earth (F1 drivers) can only manage to blurt out a simple statement between corners, gears and mobile chicanes, why does anyone think the average driver can have an in-depth discussion while driving.

Jun 26, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW - I also think that operating a mobile phone - hands free or not - is daft. The issue is the distraction of the discussion, not the action of holding the phone. If the most skilled drivers on earth (F1 drivers) can only manage to blurt out a simple statement between corners, gears and mobile chicanes, why does anyone think the average driver can have an in-depth discussion while driving.

That F1 comparation isn´t very relevant. It´s a big difference driving as fast as you possibly can, and still remembering all the stuff that´s going on around you. If you haven´t watched the Top Gear episode when Richard Hammond gets to try out a Renault F1 car, I suggest you do. It shows how hard it is just keeping the car on the road, and that´s a moderatly experienced driver that already have test driven lots of supercars.

Although I do agree with the point that you shouldn´t drive a car while talking on the phone, in fact I think I´ve seen some TV show that researched driving with a phone and the result was that you were a worse driver than someone driving drunk, though with handsfree I think it shouldn´t be any problem.

As for driving with headphones I don´t see any problems with that, in fact I´ve been using my UE SF5Ps 3 days this week while working, driving a delivery van, and then I don´t even have any rear windows and only the side rearview mirrors.

Since people who are deaf are allowed to drive, I think that sends the message that your hearing really isn´t that important while on the road, being focused on what´s around you is, and how much of the important impressions while driving are only sounds/noises, I think just about none. I would rate the senses most important 1. Sight (90%) 2. Feeling (5%) and a split on 3 for smell and hearing (2,5% each).

I really don´t get what some people earlier in this thread are talking about, is it the isolation, because comments like "I would rather have a person blast THEIR music in THEIR car. At least only THEY are at risk of going deaf." really condtradict that. Because in my case I could easily achive more "isolation" from the outside world with blasting my car stereo system, than what I get with my UE SF5P, but obviously I won´t do that because of the dangers associated (hearing damages). Some seem to think that the music itself is to distracting, so does that mean that car stereo systems also should be illegal? I mean listening to music is listening to music, shouldn´t matter if it comes from a pair of 'phones or from speakers in the car.

Jun 26, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #35 of 46
I've seen another two people driving and wearing earphones. Its not like they were driving rubbish cars either. i really can't understand it! I haven't got around to asking the police yet.

Jun 26, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #36 of 46
Why assume IEMs or closed headphones?

There's no difference between open headphones and car speakers. Just because the drivers are closer to my ears, doesn't mean I'm suddenly going to turn the volume up louder than normal.

The sound from the headphones will most likely be better than the car speakers, so the effective listening volume will most likely be lower and that means safer driving.

EK

Jun 26, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would rather have a person blast THEIR music in THEIR car. At least only THEY are at risk of going deaf. With headphones, WE are at risk b/c THEIR behavior.

I really don't care if you choose to blast your music and ruin your hearing. But I do care whwn it gets into the territory where your actions can harm others. How many drunk or buzzed drivers think "I'm OK, I can still drive"?

Good point and very true.

Of course, my response was slanted toward that of irony.

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why assume IEMs or closed headphones?

There's no difference between open headphones and car speakers. Just because the drivers are closer to my ears, doesn't mean I'm suddenly going to turn the volume up louder than normal.

The sound from the headphones will most likely be better than the car speakers, so the effective listening volume will most likely be lower and that means safer driving.

EK

But even if I agreed with you, try explaining that to a cop!

Jun 26, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #39 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by TKvC-SainT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in fact I think I´ve seen some TV show that researched driving with a phone and the result was that you were a worse driver than someone driving drunk, though with handsfree I think it shouldn´t be any problem.

Perhaps a bit OT, but:
Cell phones as dangerous as drunk driving | Tech news blog - CNET News.com -- "The study, published in the June 29 issue of Human Factors: The Journal of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, found that drivers talking on cell phones, either handheld or hands-free, are more likely to crash because they are distracted by conversation."

More to the topic, personally I wouldn't think of wearing headphones while driving. Not only is it dangerous, but I'm not exactly doing any critical listening while driving. Besides, how much lower fi can you get than a setup that ads engine noise, honking, sirens, and random bass lines to all your music? (Unless you listen to techno
wink.gif
)

Jun 26, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leto Atreides II /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But even if I agreed with you, try explaining that to a cop!

Why is it ********? (I'm assuming you typed bullsh*t, and not 'hell yeah' or 'you're so damn right'
wink.gif
)

EK

Jun 26, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #41 of 46
Legal? In NJ at least it isn't. You have to have at least one ear open, which is why any hands-free headset will have only one earphone.

Dumb? It depends on the headphones. Wearing open headphones while driving, and keeping the volume at a reasonable level, isn't any worse than driving with the stereo on. Driving with isolating IEMs though can be a bit dangerous. It really depends on your skill as a driver, and your alertness, as well as your ability to remember that you are not operating at maximum capacity, and that you absolutely have to pay more attention than normal to what's going on around you.

If you're a skilled and confident driver, I don't see what the problem is. But, if you think you're skilled and confident, but actually suck, then it becomes a big deal. Since most drivers here on the US east coast fall into the latter category, the legislature makes sense.

Jun 27, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #42 of 46
I guess the cup-to-head size ratio might be a problem. If your head is small enough or if the earcups are big enough, your peripheral vision might be impaired.

But PX100s or PortaPros should be small enough for everybody.

EK

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

That F1 comparation isn´t very relevant. It´s a big difference driving as fast as you possibly can, and still remembering all the stuff that´s going on around you. If you haven´t watched the Top Gear episode when Richard Hammond gets to try out a Renault F1 car, I suggest you do. It shows how hard it is just keeping the car on the road, and that´s a moderatly experienced driver that already have test driven lots of supercars.

I haven't seen the hammond F1 episode, but I will try to track it down.

The point I was making regarding F1 drivers is that driving an F1 car takes almost all of their concentration - for a highly skilled driver.

We seem to think that driving is a brain in neutral activity. The reality is quite the opposite. Driving a car properly should require a high degree of concentration - in fact almost all of it. There are of course many things that you need to watch for on the road that racing drivers never need to worry about on a racetrack such as kids running out in front of you or other drivers running red lights as two of many examples.

Quote:

Although I do agree with the point that you shouldn´t drive a car while talking on the phone, in fact I think I´ve seen some TV show that researched driving with a phone and the result was that you were a worse driver than someone driving drunk, though with handsfree I think it shouldn´t be any problem.

I'm not sure whether you are refering to the episode of Mythbusters, but from my recollection, there was no difference in driving ability between someone talking on a handset or hands free. In both cases the driving ability while answering some challenging questions was greatly impaired.

As I previously stated, I don't think holding the phone is the problem. I think it is the distraction of the converstaion that is the real problem - hands free or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back