is this illegal?
Jun 25, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #16 of 46
I wear PX100's connected to my iPhone all the time when I've driving. Sometimes I have music on at veru low levels, sometimes I'm just using them to listen to the occasional caller while still having both hands free. Since the PX100's are open phones, I have no trouble hearing what's going on in the real world. Wearing headphones does not make you a dangerous driver. Wearing headphones that isolate and/or listening at levels that prevent you from hearing what's going on around you does make you dangerous.

Regardless, in most places it is probably illegal to wear headphones, despite the fact it's not a law that really takes a lot of factors into account. Mainly, it's a blanket law designed to keep people from doing something stupid. It's just as illegal and dangerous to listen to your car stereo at loud levels.

I know, I know...I'm a terrible person and a terrible driver...and I haven't had an accident in 24 years.

Jun 25, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by afternoon025 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my friend was caught by police once because he's using mobile telephone talking with somebody.so using bluetooth headphone is legal or not?

Was he using the bluetooth earpiece at the time? I know sveral cities in my area have laws against using cell phones, unless you use a hands free device.

Jun 25, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #19 of 46
I'm an attorney in Texas and while not a great idea, it is legal to wear headphones while driving in the State of Texas (unless this law has recently changed). The reasoning is as suggeste above, that the deaf can be licensed, so hearing is not a pre-requisite for licensure.

Jun 25, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #20 of 46
I agree with BigEat, I live in Texas- I drive everywhere with headphones. I would honestly think that if you got pulled over, regardless of where, just tell them that you didn't think it was illegal since the deaf can drive. If they say anything witty...just say that you obviously are aware- somewhat, because you pulled over when they turned their lights and sirens on
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you wouldnt hear an ambulance with headphones on, music through speakers you can,

i love music while driving, and i love driving fast around winding roads, but never ever would i even consider it with headphones, you need your wits about you

if i was a policeman and i saw it, id pull you over in a second

I second that...

To TC's Question: I have no idea (lol) because... I've never thought about driving anything with headphones on since I drove a RC car around the parking lot when I was 4.... Also, if anything, I deem it's illegal in my state

There's something about headphones for me. It captivates my attention perhaps better than any gadget except the computer screen. There's some sort of isolation factor with it; not saying that I can't focus on anything else when I'm using "it" but it does flip off other factors quite well if "I allow it".
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #23 of 46
I never understood the laws against wearing headphones while driving.

In the old days, cars were so noisy and let in so much road/wind noise you couldn't hear jack anyway, and now they're all soundproofed so you still can't hear jack.

Of course it's pretty hard to show off your "awesome" car audio system if the bass doesn't shake the windows of the storefront across the street... *rolleyes*

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #24 of 46
If you can't understand the difference between listening to headphones and listening to speakers as far as hearing other noises goes, then I just don't know what to say. If you're listening to speakers loud enough that you can't hear sirens or other loud noises then chances are you're violationg some noise ordinance as it is, and also likely destroying your hearing so its just stupid to be doing that.

Sure you could make the argument that if you're being an alert driver you should be pretty aware of your surroundings as is, which is highly visual. At the same time that argument sounds a little too close to those defending driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, where they claim they're better drivers because they're more focused. In the end, I think it boils down to the fact that headphones will be a distraction for the driver, and so you should not be wearing them while driving. It's not your safety I'm worried about, it's my own.

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #25 of 46
Where I am it's prohibited to use a cellphone (unless it's hands-free) while driving, I'd imagine this extends to other 'distracting' devices.

Also I used to like to listen to my car stereo loud. Real loud, loud enough to rattle the car and definitely enough to do hearing damage. And I could still easily hear police/ambulance sirens, honking etc. Not so with headphones, unless you're using open ones, but good luck trying to explain that to the police when you get pulled.

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #26 of 46
I would have to say if I were a cop there's no way I'd by that "deaf people can drive" excuse. Even as a headphone fan I don't buy it. If your hearing is impared for medical reasons, it's one thing. But if your hearing is impared b/c you're wearing headphines, it's not an excuse. TAKE THEM OFF!!

I never thought of this before. Nice. Along with the drunk, distracted and old drivers, now I have to watch out for headphone drivers???

Jun 25, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #27 of 46
Deaf people can drive but their deafness won't cause the driver to be distracted in the same way a person wearing headphones can.

Imagine this worst case crazy scenario: Accidentally drop the ipod which yanks on the cord connected to the portable headphone amp which swings and causes the headphone cable to get tangled up in the stick shift while yanking the headphones off the drivers head and under the break pedal. Doomed.

Crazy physics / psychological argument: Headphones on the side of ones head may cause the person to pay less attention to their peripheral vision because the clamping creates a psychological peripheral barrier. The fact that there is added weight to the side of the head means it requires more inertia to turn the head thus reducing head turning reaction time.

I can't find studies backing up these hypothesis but I would rather not have legislation was tax money proving or disproving them and arguing about allowing headphone usage while driving.

The great thing about headphones is putting them on places you in your own private world. In a car you shouldn't be off in your own little world, you should be paying attention to the road.

Jun 25, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #28 of 46
may anyone who drives with headphones or iems on the road ram into the trees or better still, drop into the sea...

flame me...

at least i am not a probable killing machine on the road...

be or pretend to be responsible to lives other than yours...

though we already know you don't care.

Jun 25, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #29 of 46
I don't know if it's illegal, but I agree that even with open headphones, it's a bad idea, and no one should do it.

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #30 of 46
Look at it this way:

1. You don't use headphones and blast your car stereo to the point where you can't hear anything else...thereby eventually causing you to go deaf. At this point you are just a deaf driver.

2. Use headphones and protect your hearing. If pulled over explain that you are trying to prevent the above scenario, and that being a headphone driver is the better long-term option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back