Is this hip hop? What is it?
Mar 17, 2018 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gimmeheadroom

Headphoneus Supremus
I remember being totally blown away by the production values on Nelly Furtado's first album, Whoa Nelly.

Aside from the pretty good songwriting and phenomenal general creativity on this album it is fantastically well produced. Great studio album, certainly could be classified as audiophile whatever it is.

Does this fit into any particular category? Is there anything else like it? The rest of her albums mostly don't do it for me but I haven't listened to them a few thousand times like I have with the first one.

Mar 18, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 3
It seems like she sings in various styles, probably more mainstream in general like pop with some R&B thrown in there, and given she is Latin, perhaps have some of that on some songs.

I always gotten her mixed up with actual hip-hop artist Nelly.

Mar 18, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 3
She comes from a Portuguese family. But I think you are right that she comes across and seems to identify with that genre. I didn't know whether her albums fit clearly into some category that I didn't know exists but yeah it seems more like pop (although extremely well done). In that sense it's difficult to find similar material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back