Is this eBay seller selling genuine Sennheiser IE 80 earphones?
Jan 15, 2014 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

roperc3

New Head-Fier
Hi folks,

I've been researching earphones for some time and feel about ready to spend some ££ on them. I've settled for the IE 80's and there's a guy on eBay selling a pair that he says are genuine.

As I don't own a pair I was hoping some of you could tell from the pics whether they appear the real deal. The listing number is 321298702573 on uk eBay.

I emailed the guy and he said they've been sourced from a major retailer and are 100% genuine. He's expecting more soon too and apparently has kept a pair for himself.

Any guidance would be appreciated before I make the purchase!

Best,

Chris

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 5
Let me take a guess without even asking for a the link and say most probably not.  The amount of people who turn up here with fake IE8 /IE80 is unbelievable and it all starts with the story "I found these on eBay" "It seems to good to be true". Read those words back again "it seems to good to be true" Then what usually happens is the person ponders doing research for a day or so, they check photo's and ask the seller questions who assure them it is a genuine Sennhiser product.

Eventually curiosity and the possible chance of a bargain gets the better of them and they click "Buy It Now" Only when the product arrives it doesn't sound anything like they imagined, which intern they end up back here asking many questions  and checking photos whether or not they have fake IE8 OR IE80. 

The morale to this story is Sennheiser products are one of the most copied earphones/.headphones on the black market, the frauds are very good at getting the shells and packaging looking legit (very good) but they cannot replicate the sound and it's absolutely important to only buy from authorised Sennheiser sellers. Save yourself some trouble and totally avoid any IE8 OR IE80 on eBay, it's just not worth your time no matter how good the price seems.

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 5
Thank you for the honest reply. I have since received a second email from the person selling again reiterating they're 100% genuine so I'm now even more sure they're not. I can manage £170 but £270 is way out of my price range. Don't suppose you can suggest an alternative for under £200?

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 5
Thank you for the honest reply. I have since received a second email from the person selling again reiterating they're 100% genuine so I'm now even more sure they're not. I can manage £170 but £270 is way out of my price range. Don't suppose you can suggest an alternative for under £200?

i presume you are looking for a more V shaped Sound signature No?

the ultimate ears tf10 are a good choice.

and please dont buy the ie80 without it being a genuine authorized dealer or someone who can prove they are real without just saying they are real. nowadays counterfitters have gotten good at fooling people, or people just jump into buying something becuase its a good price but you dont wanna waste your money.

Jan 15, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 5
As Moose Man said, Triple-Fi 10 are a good choice, or possibly consider Westone 3. There are other options like T-Peos H-200 which is a fine sounding hybrid for $250 USD, or possibly Dunu DN-1000 for $200 USD which is hot right now and for good reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back