Is this an inadequate amp for SA5k?
Oct 22, 2009 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

MrGreen

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey.
I'm borrowing a LDMKIII until my parts for the b22 i plan to build arrive.
Since I will have to build the b22 in my spare time, I expect to be stuck with the LDMKIII maybe a year.

Does anyone have experience with this amp and the SA5k?

If it is an inadequate temporary amp, can someone please recommend a cheap alternative that I can use in the meantime?

Oct 22, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 20
By the way, I am thinking of buying a cheap stereo dac to go with it until I get the parts to build the buffalo.
Will a dacmagic suffice in this? (again, for about a year)

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 20
The LDIII should be adequate for the SA5k. Probably not the best amp, but it should be adequate.

I personally wouldn't buy the Dacmagic just so that I can have an external DAC to go with my "temporary" amplifier. I'd just hook the amp straight to whatever source I have.

If you really have to have a temporary DAC, just get a used Gamma 1 DAC from the used gears forum, and when your Buffalo is ready, you can sell that at a minimal cost.

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 20
Might as well as post my PM in public too:

I havent tried it much, but what I have checked out it has a good synergy in THEORY as LDMkIII (with Mullard EF95 or Tung Sol 6AK5W driver tubes. Power ones are stock) soundwise as MkIII has thick sound and soft treble. However, I'm not perfectly happy with SA5000 nor SR225 driven by it.
I guess this is more a limitation of that amplifiers power with low impedance headphones, as it makes SA5000 sound softer. Or perhaps MkIII's headphone output impedance is high as that also can make some headphones sound soft. Not sure though as that spec of MkIII is not released. Be it this or that, there is just something missing in the sound, IME anyway.

So overall, I guess you might want to check out some tube amp which has a warm soundsignature, but in my ears LDMkIII is not the best option to drive them to fullest. I cant say anything final though as I havent heard SA5000 in other tube amps, so I'm not sure if this is how SA5000 reacts to all warm sounding amplifiers and my ears are just used to brighter and sharper sound, OR is MkIII lacking something somewhere.

Oct 23, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #7 of 20
I had the SA5000 and the LD for about 9 months. It's not a great pairing but it's not unlistenable. It doesn't sound bad, it's just that the LD is too warm and tubey to allow the amount of detail the Sony is capable of to shine through. The good thing is that the SA5000 is not at all fatiguing with the MKIII.

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the SA5000 and the LD for about 9 months. It's not a great pairing but it's not unlistenable. It doesn't sound bad, it's just that the LD is too warm and tubey to allow the amount of detail the Sony is capable of to shine through. The good thing is that the SA5000 is not at all fatiguing with the MKIII.

What are you using now?
What tubes were you using?

Any idea if itll sound 'better' than an ety er4s from the same amp?

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #9 of 20
I think the stock cables on the SA5K is the cause of all the bad publicity. I changed my cables to a and it has been my favorite headphone ever since.

I also agree with Ford2 in part. The SA5K sounds good with everything I have. Tube or SS, desktop or portable, even ipod, mp3 players, tiny pocket radios and walkmans.

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the stock cables on the SA5K is the cause of all the bad publicity. I changed my cables to a and it has been my favorite headphone ever since.

Not exactly a believer of cable improvements, but I wouldnt be surprised if SA5K stock cable would indeed harm the sound. SA5K cable is both INCREDIBLY long AND thin. I have serious doubts about its overall quality too. I have been playing around with the idea of recabling it because of that.

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif

oh... i forget to mention, mine have been recabled to APS v3 one.

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #12 of 20
Mine was recabled with the Moon Audio Black Dragon V1. I still found it too bright with some amps, not the LD MKIII, though.

Oct 24, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldwine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh... i forget to mention, mine have been recabled to APS v3 one.

And mine have been recabled with a Grado RS-1 cable,it might not have the name but it cost me $30 and a bit of my time to fit it.
With a 4 pin xlr on the end its just waiting for an amp.

Oct 24, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #15 of 20
My cable is a DIY Mogami to SE plug. It is the most balanced sound for the SA5K of all the cables I've tried.

Sorry if the cable discussion is a bit off topic but I only brought it up because it may help the OP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back