Is this an inadequate amp for SA5k?
Oct 24, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest, my LD MKIII didn't sound too far off from my WA6.

LD amps are a great value.

I agree they are a great value but didn't think the MKIII was the best amp for the SA5000, not unlistenable but not as detailed as the SA5000 can be. I auditioned my SA5000 with the WA6 also (albeit under meet conditions) and thought it was too bright. It wasn't until I got up to the WA2 that it started to make the SA5000 shine. Now there is a good combo.

I think the SA5000 needs a really high quality amp to shine. You need to be in the $1000 range. After all, it is the "Baby Qualia".

Oct 25, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree they are a great value but didn't think the MKIII was the best amp for the SA5000, not unlistenable but not as detailed as the SA5000 can be. I auditioned my SA5000 with the WA6 also (albeit under meet conditions) and thought it was too bright. It wasn't until I got up to the WA2 that it started to make the SA5000 shine. Now there is a good combo.

I think the SA5000 needs a really high quality amp to shine. You need to be in the $1000 range. After all, it is the "Baby Qualia".

Do you think they will be too bright with a B22?
The place im ordering my parts from are actually in the process of restocking and I know a few of the guys there, so I should be able to cancel.

In that case, what would you recommend?
I can pick up something like an auditor or a T-3H or a Bijou Headmaster locally or I can build something.
Tube amps would have to be imported.

No price limit for local or DIY, ~1000 USD for import

Oct 25, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think they will be too bright with a B22?

No I don't. Actually, I heard mine at a meet with one of the member's B22 and it was one of the best amps I'd heard for the SA5000.

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No I don't. Actually, I heard mine at a meet with one of the member's B22 and it was one of the best amps I'd heard for the SA5000.

I think the source also plays a huge part if something is too bright or not. My Stello drives SA5000 fantastically, but switching opamps to different ones in my Keces DAC can make SA5000 sound bit nasty.

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #20 of 20
At the moment I am running headphones off a forte.
I could grab a dacmagic then sell it off to a friend afterwards if you think itll synergise adequately until the buffalo is done.

edit: from what I read it has filters that keep can keep it stock sound and also roll off the highs a bit. In theory it seems like it may syngerise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back