Is this a valid way to compare - I find it helpful
Nov 19, 2015 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

12many

100+ Head-Fier
I am trying to decide between the x2 and HE-400i and having a hard time. Or another in this sound/price range.  I found these two links and I find it helpful (listen with good headphones).  Not so much for quality, but to determine the differences.  I can hear the difference in bass and the openness of the sound stage.  But, could be some junk in the sound between the method and youtube.     Still hard to decide

What do you think of these links?

What do you think between these two, the x2 and the HE-400i?  I am moving from 598, which is a bit soft and veiled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6JGyCW1S9g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usNMBqAiFDg

Thanks. 

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12many /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But, could be some junk in the sound between the method and youtube.

There is, and that's whatever you're using to listen to them. Whatever you're using now is coloring the sound of both, so you're not actually hearing either of them. Even studio monitors will have some coloration that will affect what listening to something else through them sound like.

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #3 of 6
lol yeah disregard that, it's basically meaningless.  The only way to compare the two is to listen to them yourself.  The HE-400i is dropping down to $300 next week, so I'd get that unless you don't have a decent amp and never plan on getting one.

Nov 19, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 6
I found the X2 and HE-400i to have similar sound signatures. The X2 may be warmer but the HE-400i is more recent in my memory. Two things to consider:

1. X2 is much more comfortable to me. The build quality is also nicer. The HE-400i headband barely fits even fully extended.
2. The HE-400i needs a more powerful amp. Sure it COULD work straight out of a phone but I'm currently demoing it wired directly to an Emotiva XPA-200 speaker amp. It needs power.

Depending on how much bass (or lack thereof) you want the AKG K712 could be an option. Think a more refined X2 with less bass.

Edit: I haven't heard the HD598 but I'm not sure you're going to notice much of a difference in your two choices. I've bought and returned all 3 that I mentioned in my quest and have settled on the Fostex TH600. I learned to take everything on this site with an ocean of salt and decided that I had to hear everything for myself to find out for sure. I don't have anywhere close to me to demo anything so it was trial and error. What sound signature do you (think) you want? What is your budget?

Nov 19, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 6
Oh, I think it surely must be is worth something.  Assuming the work flow is the same (his system, youtube affects, my system) between videos, a comparison can be made.   But I understand and completely agree, not judgement of overall quality or how it will sound on my ears.  Comparing the HE-400i and the X2 the X2 sounds somewhat more bassy than the HE and the HE soundstage is more collapsed and forward (if I am using those terms correctly) than the X2, which is very open.  I agree though that the work flow could vary the sound so much from the actual HP that judgements should not be made.  

Jammonster, thanks for your input.  I will check out those HP.
Budget is $450 or less.  I can buy an amp in the future, don't have one now.  I don't like strong bass, but I feel the HD598 have too little and are veiled, so I want something that hits harder with more bass and more detail/clarity in the mids and highs.  My son plays guitar and drums so I know what it should sound like and for certain music events (instruments/sounds) I find the 598 too soft and veiled.  Great vocals though so I don't want to lose that aspect.  I like southern rock, blues, bluegrass, male/female vocals (no rap/hip-hip, classical).  I like the B&W P7 but the highs bother me. 

I should add that with my personal hearing I don't think I hear much over 10k hz.

Thanks.  Any input is welcome. 

Nov 19, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 6
Oh, I think it surely must be is worth something.  Assuming the work flow is the same (his system, youtube affects, my system) between videos, a comparison can be made.   But I understand and completely agree, not judgement of overall quality or how it will sound on my ears.  Comparing the HE-400i and the X2 the X2 sounds somewhat more bassy than the HE and the HE soundstage is more collapsed and forward (if I am using those terms correctly) than the X2, which is very open.  I agree though that the work flow could vary the sound so much from the actual HP that judgements should not be made.  

Jammonster, thanks for your input.  I will check out those HP.
Budget is $450 or less.  I can buy an amp in the future, don't have one now.  I don't like strong bass, but I feel the HD598 have too little and are veiled, so I want something that hits harder with more bass and more detail/clarity in the mids and highs.  My son plays guitar and drums so I know what it should sound like and for certain music events (instruments/sounds) I find the 598 too soft and veiled.  Great vocals though so I don't want to lose that aspect.  I like southern rock, blues, bluegrass, male/female vocals (no rap/hip-hip, classical).  I like the B&W P7 but the highs bother me. 

I should add that with my personal hearing I don't think I hear much over 10k hz.

Thanks.  Any input is welcome. 

Good to know sound signature preference and budget. The AKG K712 will not have enough bass. They also need an amp. To me, the X2 would be a better choice than the HE because it sounds similar but doesn't require an amp. The HE un-amped will sound flat and dull. I know because I just got one in the mail from Amazon yesterday. The X2 was sent back a few months ago. It didn't have enough bass for me, but I like unhealthy levels of bass.

A thought - I have been reading that the HE is dropping to $300, I think for Black Friday. You could pair that with a $150 Schiit Magni 2 Uber which puts out 1.5W at 32ohm (HE is 35ohm I think). It would be a great pairing and come in on budget!

I'm trying to think of some other pairings as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back