Is this a scam?
May 5, 2009 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Rise To The Top

1000+ Head-Fier
I have an item listed on craigslist for a pair of skis. A few days ago I got an email asking for pictures, etc. So, I followed through and got this response:

> Hello Patrick
>
> Thanks for your email, my friend is very interested in the skis, please
> note i
> am the agent between both of you,i am going to add my commision to the
> asking price plus postage costs, Do you accept paypal, my
> friend can transfer payment to you via Paypal, you are to deduct
> your asking price plus postage costs and send my balance commission to
> me via western union money transfer, let me know if this is ok for you
> ,what is your paypal email ID?,
>
> Note, i am not trying to scam you, i will wait for payment to clear in your
> bank
> ,before you we ship the item to my friend address , thanks
> and your urgent response will be appreciated

Is this a scam in any way or form? Or am I being faked out by the Western Union part?

May 5, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 19
I guess I would question why an agent would be needed for a pair of skiis?
it sounds sketchy, I am trying to figure out what the angle is for the agent?
Western Union costs so that needs to be addressed and why can't the agent take payment via paypal either?
I guess it is up to you, but I would hate to see you scammed.

May 5, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 19
Yeah this is very likely a scam. Wouldn't doubt he's using your e-mail as his supposed seller account to get someone else to pay you for the ski's. Meanwhile he's telling the person sending you the money that he's selling them some similarly priced item (hence the price discrepancy). He gets the ski's sent to him, and in a couple weeks someone files a paypal dispute with you for afor never sending a completely different item.

Also how much are these "fees"? It could be that he's "selling" the same pair of ski's to someone else at a higher list price, then purchasing your skis and keeping the difference. In other words, he is the so-called agent, but the purchaser of the ski's doesn't know it.

May 5, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebastian589 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah this is very likely a scam. Wouldn't doubt he's using your e-mail as his supposed seller account to get someone else to pay you for the ski's. Meanwhile he's telling the person sending you the money that he's selling them some similarly priced item (hence the price discrepancy). He gets the ski's, and someone files a paypal dispute with you for a completely different item in a couple weeks.

Thats what I was thinking. Alright, I'm not goin for it, lol.

May 5, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 19
Damn, craigslist is full of these kinda ppl. I only sell or buy locally and pay/accept Cash and nothing else. But it works great for local buying/selling. I would stay away from anything else on craigslist, even paying or accepting money using paypal. Its just too much of a hassle if things go wrong.

May 5, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 19
100% scam. They overpay you with fraudulent funds, then you return your own actual funds to them to even it out.

Also acting like he's doing this on someone else's behalf is a giveaway as well.

This type of scam is normally done with bad checks, but I'm not sure how it's possible with paypal. Perhaps it's just to make him appear legit.

May 5, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #9 of 19
It doesn't benefit you in any way to have a "broker" for the deal. Also since you didn't bring the "broker" into your transition, why would you even need him, much less pay him his commission? Run don't walk from this deal.

May 5, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #10 of 19
Scam. What happens is they pay you (which is from a stolen bank account) you pay them. Bank withdrawl the money that he paid you because it's from a stolen account, plus you've just given him that amount.

And there was never the item in the first place, so you've just paid say £150 + £100 and not even got the ski's!

May 6, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #13 of 19
if you have to ask an internet forum if it's a scam, then it's a scam.

May 6, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #14 of 19
Western Union is not for payment of sales!! Read the warnings on their site!

May 6, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I would question why an agent would be needed for a pair of skiis?

Solo skiing mission?
jecklinsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back