Is this a good time to buy a new iPod?
Mar 16, 2009 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
Does anyone know if new updates, storage bumps, price drops, etc. are coming soon for the iPod?

I was on vacation last week and my 5G 30GB has turned a little schizy. I've restored it, etc., and it'll still occasionally reset itself in the middle of a playlist or record and other slightly odd behavior. Since it's a few years old, I think it's probably time to get a new one.

I don't want to debate Apple or other players in this thread - I already have most of my library ripped into iTunes and my car's stereo has a dedicated iPod jack and controls.

Anyhow, if anyone knows of updates on the horizon, I can hold off for a few months or more. This one still sorta works.

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 22
The Shuffle got updated soo quickly and kinda unexpected... maybe the iPod classic is up for a quick refresh? out of the current schedule. If not September. iPod Classic Gen 6 is out for sometime... i seriously dont know what they will do to it...

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 22
yep, march and september seem to be the main release dates for apple. so while its possible they will spribg something on us, if you are hoping for a high capacity Hard drive based classic; I think you will be disappointed as they seem to be slowly changing everything to solid state. the last classic went down in capacity and until fl;ash memory becomes cheap enough to overtake SS, you will be better to find yourself a refurb 160gb or a refurb 5.5G and throw a 240gb drive in it
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #6 of 22
hopefully apple won't go "made for apple" crazy and start putting authentication chips in all their ipods.

i would happily unleash a swarm of malaria carrying mosquitoes on steve jobs if that happened.

Mar 16, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #9 of 22
I would definitely wait until tomorrow if you are interested in the iPhone or iPod Touch because they are releasing details about iPhone OS 3 so they may very well release new or updated models then.

The other two models the Nano and the Classic may see a refresh so I would wait anyways.

Mar 16, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #10 of 22
I too am hoping that they come out with a high-capacity SS memory Classic...somehow I doubt it. It seems more likely to keep upping the memory of the touch while keeping the price where it is. Eventually they'll just phase out the Classic...I'm probably wrong.

However, I would immediately buy a 250GB SS Classic if it was priced around $350. Not sure that's on the drawing board
frown.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 22
Bring manual EQ to ipods before releasing anymore products darn it....

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would definitely wait until tomorrow if you are interested in the iPhone or iPod Touch because they are releasing details about iPhone OS 3 so they may very well release new or updated models then.

hehe i hope they release the iPhone OS 3 for "Free" the worst can happen is they release a new iPhone will im still in my damn locked contract. :p

Mar 20, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjpjimmy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you need this? Confirmed: Your iPod Shuffle Earbuds Need Proprietary Chip to Function

Apple confirms presence of proprietary chip in shuffle headphones, licensing fee

Its only there if the manufacturer wants the "Made for iPod" certification.
Quote:

that the new shuffle headphones do in fact contain a proprietary control chip, and that would-be headphone makers have to pay to license it from Apple as part of the Made for iPod program. Yep, that's bad news, confirmed -- but all hope for inexpensive accessories isn't lost, as we're told that the chip isn't encrypted or otherwise locked down in any way, so it's easily cloned by companies who'd rather not pay.

I'm guessing at some point Apple is going to lock down the chip, but just not now. And at best I'm guessing its going to be a mild size bump, the major iPod/iPhone announcement is really the OS 3.0. I'll be really surprised if they come out with a 64GB iPod Touch.

I'd like the Touch more if it supported SDHC cards, but it doesn't.

Mar 21, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #15 of 22
Right now, I'd go for a new iPod classic 120 GB. I've played with one and with the current firmware, the current classic works very well with really good sound quality if you use a decent IEM (I tried with my Sony MDR-EX90LP).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back