Is this a good setup?
Aug 15, 2010 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Gatepc

100+ Head-Fier
Hi I would like to say I am new to the world of hi end audio and am basically asking if the following will give me great sound.

AKG 702
HRT Audio Streamer II+ connected to a Woo Audio 3 with high end silver interconnects 

it will pull lossless audio from my MacBook Pro. 

I will be upgrading from using my intergrated soundcard with no headphone amp to a pair of AD700's. Is this a good bang for my buck? what would you do different? and will I notice a huge difference? 

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Aug 15, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 24
Bang for buck exited the picture when you said "silver interconnects".

On second thought What? $450 amp for a $270 headphone? lol?
An amp capable of driving any headphone with full transparency won't cost over $100 max. You got RIPPED by a salesman's marketing pitch.

$150 dac? Hardly affect signal chain, and you're using "cheap" headphones anyways... If you really need a better dac, best bang for buck is Xonar cards (~80), best sub-$500 dac is Essence STX ($180-200). EMU 0404 if you need external. (200 new, as low as 80 used, half price seems typical)
Coincidentally, that $200 Essence can drive any headphone with full transparency.

Aug 15, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 24
I don't know much about the HRT Audio Streamer II+, but it looks reasonable, though quite expensive.  I usually recommend older DACs that can be had for a fraction of what they used to sell for.

WooAudio3 looks nice and has gotten many great reviews.

AKG K702 is a well respected headphone, but I'd recommend trying it before buying it, not everybody likes the sound signature.

As for post above, disregard it.

Aug 15, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 24
Thank you for your input as well! I really like the audio streamer II+ ( I know someone who has one ) and I have read some reviews that all said it was amazing ( one guy said he liked it more then the benchmark dac ) apparently it uses something called asynchronous USB which makes it sound much better. 

I was thinking maybe matching the audio streamer II+ up with a V-Can ( I hear these are good as well ) 

I wish I could try out these headphones but I don't know where I would do that, there are not any stores around me that I know of that even sell this kind of equipment. 

the woo audio I hear is nice but maybe the other poster is right that it is over kill I have never used a tube system before I hear they sound better. but at the same time the V-Can has an SNR of 109db while the woo audio has a SNR of only 95db but maybe thats not importent I don't know this stuff good enough. 

I have listend to some Sennheiser 595's and hated the way they sounded compared to the AD700. I can always return the AKG 702's if I don't like the sound so its not a big deal. 

Aug 15, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #7 of 24
Gatepc, that looks to be a nice setup you've listed. Definitely an improvement over the MacBook's onboard sound for sure (but that's not saying much). I've read nice things about the HRT, and Woo Audio too. I use a Mac too but my setup is not quite so high end, though I do like mine a lot. Remember that the Mac's audio line-out jack can double as an optical TOSlink output as well. So you are free to explore DACs that don't take USB input. Firewire DACs (favored in pro-audio circles) are also possible for Macs but I would not call them bang for buck. 

Out of all the components, interconnects will have the least noticeable effect on the performance of your setup, unless the cables are defective in some way.

Aug 15, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #9 of 24

Quote:
Thank you for your input as well! I really like the audio streamer II+ ( I know someone who has one ) and I have read some reviews that all said it was amazing ( one guy said he liked it more then the benchmark dac ) apparently it uses something called asynchronous USB which makes it sound much better. 

I was thinking maybe matching the audio streamer II+ up with a V-Can ( I hear these are good as well ) 

I wish I could try out these headphones but I don't know where I would do that, there are not any stores around me that I know of that even sell this kind of equipment. 

the woo audio I hear is nice but maybe the other poster is right that it is over kill I have never used a tube system before I hear they sound better. but at the same time the V-Can has an SNR of 109db while the woo audio has a SNR of only 95db but maybe thats not importent I don't know this stuff good enough. 

I have listend to some Sennheiser 595's and hated the way they sounded compared to the AD700. I can always return the AKG 702's if I don't like the sound so its not a big deal. 

I can clarify some things since, like you, I was new once and appreciated honest explanations other members. First thing is asynchronous USB and why some say it's superior. Basically, the digital data (1s and 0s) travel through your USB cable to the external DAC. Now, the DAC does two things:
1) converts the 1s and 0s to an analog signal that it outputs to your headphone
2) reclocks all the digital data so that there is (virtually) no jitter and it's timed (more) correctly (this is the asynchronous part)
Since it doesn't rely on streaming the data directly and basically "reconstructs" the signal, the output is of much higher quality

So, why would I recommend an external DAC as opposed to a soundcard:
I have owned and tried many, many soundcards and they are pretty good. But, some of their main uses are, IMO, for convenience, gaming sound effects (sometimes gimmicky itself), microphone input, etc. The sound quality is usually noticeably inferior (I say usually b/c it also depends on the transparency of the rest of the setup).

But, why? I would attribute it to the usually lower consumer-grade DAC chip, lesser grade supporting circuitry, less room for bigger components (ie capacitors, etc), and (rarely) the power supply cleanliness. A soundcard has a lot more limitations and it is marketed towards a broader range of uses, whereas an external DAC is purely for quality sound (no post-processing, microphone input, etc.) Thus, I would not buy a better soundcard and would go for an external DAC in your pricerange. The "right" one is subject to your needs, research, and budget.

The SNR (signal-to-noise) ratio is something that determines how noisy a signal is. That is, how much of the incoming signal is corrupted by noise. It sounds scary, but I would not worry about it, especially with the products you mentioned and the high SNR values that those products have. Look at the wikipedia article for more info if you want it.

I don't agree with a lot of what Dalamar said, because of scientific fact and personal experience, but I will support him in his opinion on cables. I would highly recommend that you do not go for 'high end silver interconnects'. There are huge debates of pro-cable vs anti-cable, but my advice is:
1) If you are pro-cable, which means you believe better cables = better sound, wait until your whole rig is assembled, then try cables. Cables are the least likely to benefit your setup, are really low bang-for-buck, and should only be used to tweak the final sound. If you find cables make no difference when you try them later, sell them. Your wallet will thank you
wink.gif
. If you do find a difference, psychological or otherwise, keep them. When it comes to your audio bliss, you decide what's right.
2) If you are anti-cable, just get a good enough cable that's long enough, properly shielded (most are), and durable. This should be sufficient.

I hope that helps :)

Aug 15, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 24

2) reclocks all the digital data so that there is (virtually) no jitter and it's timed (more) correctly (this is the asynchronous part)

Since it doesn't rely on streaming the data directly and basically "reconstructs" the signal, the output is of much higher quality.

Sorry, that doesn't really make sense (and I'm an engineer).  Pretty much all DACs currently buffer a very short amount of data and have localized clocks so data transmission is basically guaranteed to be accurate (you'll KNOW when there's an error - your DAC unlocks and music pauses).  Anyway, there are certain benefits to async transmission, but I wouldn't generalize it as far as "much higher quality".

Aug 15, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #12 of 24

Quote:
I favour external DACs too. But in this case, the OP is using a MacBook Pro (i.e. a laptop) so sound card replacement is not an option anyway.

In his case, I would recommend the DAC/amp combo, the Apogee Duet, which is geared towards Macs and gets favorable reviews.

Aug 15, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #13 of 24
Thanks very much KnightK and the others as well. I think that I will end up like I said with the AKG 702, HRT audio streamer II+, and the V-Can. I will NOT get expensive interconnects thanks to your advice. But thank you guys for taking the time to explain everything to me.

Anyone know any Good,Short ( 1ft ) , Cheap RCA interconnects I know you guys said a high quality one does not matter but which ones do you use? The only ones I can find on amazon look like the really really bad ones that you get for free with dvd players lol.

Aug 15, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #14 of 24

Quote:

Since it doesn't rely on streaming the data directly and basically "reconstructs" the signal, the output is of much higher quality.

Sorry, that doesn't really make sense (and I'm an engineer).  Pretty much all DACs currently buffer a very short amount of data and have localized clocks so data transmission is basically guaranteed to be accurate (you'll KNOW when there's an error - your DAC unlocks and music pauses).  Anyway, there are certain benefits to async transmission, but I wouldn't generalize it as far as "much higher quality".

You may be right. Sorry about that :)  However, I still agree that there are inherent advantages to asynchronous.

Aug 15, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #15 of 24

Quote:
But, why? I would attribute it to the usually lower consumer-grade DAC chip, lesser grade supporting circuitry, less room for bigger components (ie capacitors, etc), and (rarely) the power supply cleanliness.

That's an overly broad generalization, though it is half true in that it does apply to many cards.
Essence ST/STX are not consumer grade at all, and many of the cheaper cards can give more expensive dacs a run for the money.

I recommend Monoprice.com for all cable needs. Their rca connectors don't fit as tight as expensive stuff from bluejeans (my bluejeans are incredibly hard to plug in/out, lol) - but they are good quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back