Is this a good beethoven compilation?
Mar 2, 2006 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Naga

500+ Head-Fier
Ive been listening to alot of rock lately, and im so starved for good beethoven im about to die.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music

im short on $$, but is that a good compilation?

is the recording quality good? i have a cheap beethoven set and w/ my rig it sounds awful, used to blast it from a boom box

i would like something viciously aggressive if possible, favorite symphonies are 9, 5, 6, 1

Mar 2, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 8
Herbert von Karajan's 1963 cycle is one of the great Beethoven cycles, but you can get the Zinman which is also excellent and has better sound quality for less.

B00000IFP6.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Mar 2, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga
Ive been listening to alot of rock lately, and im so starved for good beethoven im about to die.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music

im short on $$, but is that a good compilation?

is the recording quality good? i have a cheap beethoven set and w/ my rig it sounds awful, used to blast it from a boom box

i would like something viciously aggressive if possible, favorite symphonies are 9, 5, 6, 1

Yes and No. The Karajan cycle, IMHO, is the standard for me and for most of the people I know. Yes you can get better individual symphonies but the '63 cycle is probably your best bet. However, the box set in your link is not the one I would recommend. I suggest you get this Remastered Version or this SACD/Hybrid version.

Karajan's cycle has it's weak parts but these are minor IMHO. Another set I like is Gardiner's Cycle. The sound is very good and all the symphonies are performed with period instruments. If your looking to save $$$, you can pick this set up from yourmusic.com for cheap.

A new, and more critical edition of the Symphonies has been released and it is quite good (and cheap).

I think you really can't go wrong with any of the above.
icon10.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 8
It's twice as expensive, but if you want a Von Karajan set, the 1977 one is the better set. For whatever reason, he warmed up his Beethoven - while cooling and over-polishing everything else.

To me, the Zinman set is probably the best bang for your buck. His HI-reading, coupled with big-band setup, makes for an interesting performance.

Mar 2, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Yes and No. The Karajan cycle, IMHO, is the standard for me and for most of the people I know. Yes you can get better individual symphonies but the '63 cycle is probably your best bet. However, the box set in your link is not the one I would recommend. I suggest you get this Remastered Version or this SACD/Hybrid version.

Karajan's cycle has it's weak parts but these are minor IMHO. Another set I like is Gardiner's Cycle. The sound is very good and all the symphonies are performed with period instruments. If your looking to save $$$, you can pick this set up from yourmusic.com for cheap.

A new, and more critical edition of the Symphonies has been released and it is quite good (and cheap).

I think you really can't go wrong with any of the above.
icon10.gif

Barenreiter Edition.
That's the Zinman set I recommended.
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Barenreiter Edition.
That's the Zinman set I recommended.
wink.gif

Yeah I know.
tongue.gif

While I was looking for the links and writing the above post you just happened to post.
rolleyes.gif

You always beat me to the punch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back