Is this a good beethoven compilation?
Mar 2, 2006 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Naga

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 28, 2004
Posts
957
Likes
10
Ive been listening to alot of rock lately, and im so starved for good beethoven im about to die.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music

im short on $$, but is that a good compilation?

is the recording quality good? i have a cheap beethoven set and w/ my rig it sounds awful, used to blast it from a boom box

i would like something viciously aggressive if possible, favorite symphonies are 9, 5, 6, 1
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 8

Bunnyears

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 13, 2004
Posts
5,303
Likes
19
Herbert von Karajan's 1963 cycle is one of the great Beethoven cycles, but you can get the Zinman which is also excellent and has better sound quality for less.

B00000IFP6.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 8

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Posts
7,055
Likes
261
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga
Ive been listening to alot of rock lately, and im so starved for good beethoven im about to die.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music

im short on $$, but is that a good compilation?

is the recording quality good? i have a cheap beethoven set and w/ my rig it sounds awful, used to blast it from a boom box

i would like something viciously aggressive if possible, favorite symphonies are 9, 5, 6, 1



Yes and No. The Karajan cycle, IMHO, is the standard for me and for most of the people I know. Yes you can get better individual symphonies but the '63 cycle is probably your best bet. However, the box set in your link is not the one I would recommend. I suggest you get this Remastered Version or this SACD/Hybrid version.

Karajan's cycle has it's weak parts but these are minor IMHO. Another set I like is Gardiner's Cycle. The sound is very good and all the symphonies are performed with period instruments. If your looking to save $$$, you can pick this set up from yourmusic.com for cheap.

A new, and more critical edition of the Symphonies has been released and it is quite good (and cheap).

I think you really can't go wrong with any of the above.
icon10.gif
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 8

PSmith08

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Posts
1,422
Likes
11
It's twice as expensive, but if you want a Von Karajan set, the 1977 one is the better set. For whatever reason, he warmed up his Beethoven - while cooling and over-polishing everything else.

To me, the Zinman set is probably the best bang for your buck. His HI-reading, coupled with big-band setup, makes for an interesting performance.
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 8

Bunnyears

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 13, 2004
Posts
5,303
Likes
19
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Yes and No. The Karajan cycle, IMHO, is the standard for me and for most of the people I know. Yes you can get better individual symphonies but the '63 cycle is probably your best bet. However, the box set in your link is not the one I would recommend. I suggest you get this Remastered Version or this SACD/Hybrid version.

Karajan's cycle has it's weak parts but these are minor IMHO. Another set I like is Gardiner's Cycle. The sound is very good and all the symphonies are performed with period instruments. If your looking to save $$$, you can pick this set up from yourmusic.com for cheap.

A new, and more critical edition of the Symphonies has been released and it is quite good (and cheap).

I think you really can't go wrong with any of the above.
icon10.gif



Barenreiter Edition.
That's the Zinman set I recommended.
wink.gif
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 8

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Posts
7,055
Likes
261
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Barenreiter Edition.
That's the Zinman set I recommended.
wink.gif



Yeah I know.
tongue.gif


While I was looking for the links and writing the above post you just happened to post.
rolleyes.gif


You always beat me to the punch.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top