Is there such a thing as a decent sounding headset for around $30?
May 24, 2003 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mclaren20

Headphoneus Supremus
Id like it for use with computer games, and Id like a mic to use.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2003 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 15
Well, the Microsoft Sidewinder Gamevoice can be had for approximately USD 30 in Sweden... It sounds good with games, but the build is rather poor. If gaming is the only thing that matters, and if you need a mirophone, the gamevoice headset is a good choice... (even though it falls apart after a few weeks...)

May 27, 2003 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 15
are you going to be using your headphones for solely PC game playing ? if so you might want to consider Plantronics.

Either the Plantronics .Audio 70
MSRP for $29.95 USD .. i got these for Christmas a while back and liked them, until i went to full fledge headphones. The sound reproduction is pretty good and the mic is nice and clear. If you want to spend 5 bucks more you can get the .Audio 90's they have a bit thicker earpads and better constructed mic.

Plantronics makes some REALLY nice headsets. having a decent range in price meeting budgets. there higher end line the DSP's go up to 100 bucks and use USB cables instead of your standard audio jacks.

check it out

www.plantronics.com

May 27, 2003 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 15
I second the plantronics suggestion. My buddy has a wrap around headset with a mic. Decent build. Sounds like ass. guess its good for gaming though.

May 27, 2003 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by MagusG
I second the plantronics suggestion....Sounds like ass. guess its good for gaming though.

yea...if u are a HUGE audiophile its not something that u would listen to music all day long .. i mean..obviously when ur paying 30 bucks.. but like MagusG said.. they work perfectly for gaming
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2003 at 7:06 PM Post #8 of 15
The Koss CS80 should be just the thing for you. It appears to be the KSC-55 with a mike attached. (The KSC-55 is generally considered the best sounding sub-$30 headphone around, with the exception of its earphone cousins the KSC-35 and KSC-50.) List price is $29.95. Check out the Koss web site. I've also seen it at J&R.

Jun 16, 2003 at 3:47 AM Post #9 of 15
I just want to say going from very cheap headphones, like 10 bux, it really is amazing what you miss from having crappy headphones.

Also to me these are also great for listening to music, of course it all comes from mp3s on my computer through my soundblaster 128, although I am upgrading shortly to a sound blaster live. I probably wouldn't except I also have 5.1 reciever setup in my room, so I need the 5.1 channels.

I know you audiophiles, which most of you are around here, would say that my stuff sounds like crap. But for us non audiophiles, atleast for me its plenty.

I really only came here because I goto lans a lot and needed a good pair of head phones for playing games and some music.

Also I wanted to say one thing about the plantronic 70's and 90's. For you that don't realize it the 70's have smaller drivers then the 90's, I haven't heard both of them, but I am sure with different driver sizes they are going to give you different sounds.

I bought the 90's and am very happy with them. They defiantly are amazing for playing games. I swear I feel like im in the the middle of a real battle in battlefield 1942. Also in Counterstrike I can really tell where everyone is. And d00d, the awp really resonates.

So defiantly one more vote to the plantronics 90's for gaming and for us here, who are not really audiophiles and don't want to spend a ton.

For the rest who are audiophiles, ignore this post. But from looking around on the net, these seem to be one of the best headphones for 30 bux.

Jun 16, 2003 at 3:53 AM Post #10 of 15
Jul 8, 2003 at 11:12 PM Post #11 of 15
Sorry to bump this but does anyone have any experience with the KOSS CS80? I bought the Plantronics .90 audio headset and didn't like it at all. The sound was muddy and it just seemed cheaply made. Excellent mic though.

Jul 8, 2003 at 11:17 PM Post #12 of 15
Koss may make decent cheap headphones, but their built-in mics are craptacular. I had one (model unknown), and the sound going through the mic tended to break up and distort.

Jul 8, 2003 at 11:19 PM Post #13 of 15
KOSS mic quality has improved. I used to have a R50B headset and the mic sucked. Lots of static and the voice came out very quiet. I bought a R65B headset and the mic is very much improved. They changed the headset somewhat and now it's a bit too tight for my head even with the cups fully extended.

Not sure why they changed the headband and replaced the R50Bs but the mics are better so that's not as much of a concern anymore for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back