Is there such a cable...?
Nov 28, 2010 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bork

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi-ers.

I would very much like to get a tweed cable for my headphones -- something like the one pictured below.  

However, I need a 3-pint Mini XLR to either 1/4" or 3.5mm TRS.  (The hookup at the headphones is Mini XLR; and plugging into my stereo/iPod, it would be a TRS connector).  

It's a pure aesthetic thing.  I love the old cloth cables.

Does such a cable (mini XLR-to-TRS in tweed) exist?

Thanks,

Luke

Nov 28, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #2 of 7
What headphones? AKG's? There are heaps of people who can make you a custom cable as you require, though it can be a bit expensive.

Nov 28, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 7
Yes, AKGs!  Good guess.  It's a pair of K702s.  How expensive is a "bit expensive"?  I don't want to be spending half the cost of a pair of cans on a cable for aesthetic reasons, as I'm sure you understand.  Such a thing doesn't exist 'off the shelf'?

Nov 28, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
Yes, AKGs!  Good guess.  It's a pair of K702s.  How expensive is a "bit expensive"?  I don't want to be spending half the cost of a pair of cans on a cable for aesthetic reasons, as I'm sure you understand.  Such a thing doesn't exist 'off the shelf'?

No, all cabling is custom and are the cost of the headphone or more. You might have your current cable dressed with the cloth sleeve for much less. Put out a request in the DIY forum to see if one of the cable guys would do it.

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #5 of 7
@happy camper: since when does a diy headphone re-cable have to cost as much as the phones or more?! 

@OP: read up in the diy forum a bit....I think you'll find it'd be pretty reasonable to create the cable you want yourself....

Dec 1, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #6 of 7
They don't have to be the cost of a headphone or more, but in many cases they are.  Think of the quality of ALO or Lawton Audio recables.  

Dec 1, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 7
If the OP can DIY of course it can be cheaper. Since he didn't provide further evidence, I assumed he was looking for a product to purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back