Is There Sound Quality Difference Between Electrostatic and Planar Drive Headphones
Feb 20, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #16 of 18
Electrostatic amps may be expensive but something like the BHSE has no rivals in the dynamic realm when comparing pure performance and utter immunity to the load present. 

Quote:
PLanar magnetic drivers have a problem, which is that the magnetic assembly around the driver is fairly large relative to the thinner stators of electro-statics. In my opinion, this creates some problems in the highs which causes them to be a little less resolving than estats.

But the magnetic grip on the diaphragm is a much stronger force than estats which give the PM cans an advantage in delivering tight, impactive bass.

Generally: PM=warm and punchy. Estats=airy and resolving.

Generally.

That is it really plus the weight of the diaphragm is also a factor and how highly tensioned the electrostatic diaphragms are. 

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:
Maybe only HD800 have similar to electrostats speed and clarity but they're not planar :)
Of course electrostats have disadvantages. Most of them lack bass slam and dynamic range.
planars are... planars. Not so different from dynamic headphones. :)

Well, I think there's one important diference between planar drivers and domed drivers: a planar wavefront.  I've read somewhere (sorry forgot where, prolly an AES paper) that domed drivers have a more spherical wavefront, which will exhibit a different amount of gain from the shape of the concha bowl of the ear. I think this sometimes leads to a stridancy of the mid treble that planar drivers seem to exhibit less. 

The HD 800 toroidal driver is intended to mitigate this problem.

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #18 of 18
Tyll, regarding your initial point, I don't see how this is applicable if we're talking within the speaker's working power range. I think people often tend to justify planar magnetics as producing better bass but assuming they can both play at a certain level equally with an even frequency response, which is the case, then I become confused by statements like yours. Yes, generally planar magnetic speakers can play louder and can be driven harder, and can go deeper with less construction effort, but if playing at the same volume the driver with the lighter diaphragm (all other factors being equal) is doing a better job producing sound. The factor you describe -- limited grip on an electrostatic transducer -- is not relevant if you have an amp that can feed the speaker enough power to match the volume output of a planar magnetic speaker. I might be missing something here, but I don't think so and wanted to clarify.

As I understand, while it might be easier to achieve an even frequency response and stronger bass with a planar magnetic speaker, and furthermore heavier diaphragms are less impeded by the opposing force of air assuming you have a properly large voice coil to move it, at equal decibels, all is equal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back