Is there something between the hd598 and dt770s?
Feb 24, 2014 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

eifersucht

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of sennheiser hd 598 and a pair of beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80 ohms. I feel like they are very opposite of each other. Open vs closed. Base heavy vs sharp highs. Even the feel is very different. Senns sit lightly and the dt's clamp. Is there something that would kind of sit in between these two experiences?

Feb 24, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 12
I can't answer that, but I really don't understand how anyone can call the DT770's bass heavy

Feb 24, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 12
There are these graphy things on Headroom to kinda show what a headphone might sound like...

Feb 24, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 12
The 80-ohm version of DT770 is relatively bass heavy, all the more so when compared to a headphone that isn't very bassy.

A semi-open headphone with treble less bright than HD598's and a little less bass than DT770-80 with a little less clamp force... someone else will have to chime in on that.  =)
I've tried HD558, and I would say that it somewhat sits in the middle of the two mentioned, although closer to HD598.  558 does not have piercing treble for sure and is an open headphone.
From what I've read, the Fidelio X1 may make you happy.
If you have a suitable amplifier, HD600 will probably make you happy, but it will not give you the ambient noise attenuation of DT770.

Feb 24, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 12
  There are these graphy things on Headroom to kinda show what a headphone might sound like...

Hah! Never knew about that site. Ran the graph on the M100s. That's actually about how I used to tune my EQ on Winamp. Guess I did pick the right pair! LOL

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 12
The Denon D2000, SRH940, AKG K501 are pretty good without being bright or overly bassy.

I thought D2000 was too bassy and SRH940 is definitely bright.

Honestly, I'm not quite sure what OP means by "in between."

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #7 of 12
  The 80-ohm version of DT770 is relatively bass heavy, all the more so when compared to a headphone that isn't very bassy.

A semi-open headphone with treble less bright than HD598's and a little less bass than DT770-80 with a little less clamp force... someone else will have to chime in on that.  =)
I've tried HD558, and I would say that it somewhat sits in the middle of the two mentioned, although closer to HD598.  558 does not have piercing treble for sure and is an open headphone.
From what I've read, the Fidelio X1 may make you happy.
If you have a suitable amplifier, HD600 will probably make you happy, but it will not give you the ambient noise attenuation of DT770.

That's what I was going to suggest
until I saw you already had done so.

Only thing is their wearing comfort
might not be as good as the 598 or 770 -
not too much clamping force side to side,
but that headband definitely presses down
from the top - mods have been suggested
to deal with this.  But they do sound great.

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 12
 As much as I like the 770 , it has a bass accentuation and a crazy problem with Total Harmonic Distortion 

I cannot imagine how you would handle an actually bass-heavy headphones.

Haha that is why people like him and I avoid actual bass heavy headphones. I think I am just sensitive to extremes though. Treble that is too sharp or a focus on bass bother me. I suppose I prefer a very flat type sound?

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #12 of 12
Haha that is why people like him and I avoid actual bass heavy headphones. I think I am just sensitive to extremes though. Treble that is too sharp or a focus on bass bother me. I suppose I prefer a very flat type sound?

Either neutral or mid-centric (with rolled off highs and lows).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back