Is there some flat high end hybrid IEM ?
Jul 8, 2022 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

newworld666

Headphoneus Supremus
I am currently using a Sennheiser IE900 and Beyerdynamic Xelento which are "thin" and comfortable for sleeping in planes, hotels and even home. Unfortunately they don't reach the sound quality of my IER Z1R and the Vision Ears EXT which are unfortunately too thick for such type of use (it really hurts my ears affter a couple of hours lying down and of course they are comfortable day time at office or for travelling)..

1) The IE900 is a perfect shape, but got broken 3 times in a bit more than 1 year.. so I gave up using it, and, I just ordered a IE600, but I don't expect so much about sound quality with it (It should more or less good as the Xelento).

2) The Xelento is not bad, though in high frequencies those are rather less detailed than IER Z1R or the VE EXT and a bit "muddy" ultra low frequencies too...

I love the tuning of the IER-Z1R so much, but, I imagine this should be mainly due to the perfect hybrid conception. The VE EXT is a very nice hybrid IEM too, also, very pleasing for sound quality (from ultra low to very frequencies like 15Kz), but both IEM are to definitely too thick yo be used lying down on the side in planes, hotels or even at home.

Does anybody know some made of "high end" Hybrid IEM that can be used lying down on the side ?
Basically, price doesn't really matter and can even be a cheap CHIFI IEM, if SQ is better than Xelento or even IE600/900.

Jul 8, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 25
One I haven’t heard is the Mid-Fi Rose QT-9 MK2S

I heard the next version in the Rose QT-9 MK2s, the prior MK2 has the bass and authority.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/rose-technics-qt-9-mk2s.25851/reviews#review-28609

With that said they really are the smallest Hybrid I’ve ever used. The “S” model probably doesn’t have enough bass or note weight since you’re used to the IER? But it’s a nice option. Not really high end either, but you may like them. Cheers!

0E99DA4C-AB65-45A5-A23F-7D38D4728672.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #3 of 25
One I haven’t heard is the Mid-Fi Rose QT-9 MK2S

I heard the next version in the Rose QT-9 MK2s, the prior MK2 has the bass and authority.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/rose-technics-qt-9-mk2s.25851/reviews#review-28609

With that said they really are the smallest Hybrid I’ve ever used. The “S” model probably doesn’t have enough bass or note weight since you’re used to the IER? But it’s a nice option. Not really high end either, but you may like them. Cheers!

Thank you, I didn't know them at all.
Yes, those seem to check most of my requirements ... (size, hybrid drivers, ...)
Maybe, as they are not really expansive, I should give a try.
At this stage, as I can see in your review and some 2 others I found on the web, I am still afraid, it shouldn't be a step up on both end of the frequency response (20-200hz and 8-15 Khz from the 2 IEMs I already use (Xelento and IE600) though the QT-9MK2s uses hybrid drivers.
I will keep those in mind and see later..

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #4 of 25
Thank you, I didn't know them at all.
Yes, those seem to check most of my requirements ... (size, hybrid drivers, ...)
Maybe, as they are not really expansive, I should give a try.
At this stage, as I can see in your review and some 2 others I found on the web, I am still afraid, it shouldn't be a step up on both end of the frequency response (20-200hz and 8-15 Khz from the 2 IEMs I already use (Xelento and IE600) though the QT-9MK2s uses hybrid drivers.
I will keep those in mind and see later..
You know the “Baby-IER” is the Sony XBA-N3. That way you have many of the sound attributes of the IER-Z1R. Really the more I think about this, I would have recommended this first. The bass may seem heavy, heavier than the IER, but put some wide bore tips on them and drive them with a brighter source and you may be fine.

So #1 XBA-N3
# 2 Rose QT-9MK2

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-xba-n3.22428/reviews#review-24616

32BA9333-DBCC-41DD-B8B5-2D351C00859F.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #5 of 25
You know the “Baby-IER” is the Sony XBA-N3. That way you have many of the sound attributes of the IER-Z1R. Really the more I think about this, I would have recommended this first. The bass may seem heavy, heavier than the IER, but put some wide bore tips on them and drive them with a brighter source and you may be fine.

So #1 XBA-N3
# 2 Rose QT-9MK2

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-xba-n3.22428/reviews#review-24616

Tough, they must be rather tiny, I am afraid such shape of the drivers is too prominent and won't allow me to lay down on the side, like with my airpod pro too ?. Till now only cable going around the Earlobe is fine to make the IEM disappear.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #7 of 25
Empire Ears Odin
It seems on picture they look as thick as the Vision Ears EXT .. so it will hurt me again when I am lying with my head on the side (like the IER-Z1R and VE EXT).. :sob:

Jul 8, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 25
Even harder to find really small & flat TriBrids as the shell gets bigger with loads of driver types. Maybe we'll see a MEST like IEM in IE 600 size in the next few years.

Jul 8, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 25
Even harder to find really small & flat TriBrids as the shell gets bigger with loads of driver types. Maybe we'll see a MEST like IEM in IE 600 size in the next few years.
Xelento, is even a bit too small.. but for months, I felt the IE900 was a like a perfect size and shape for the specific type of use I expect (pity it was far too weak and failed 3 times and had to return to Sennheiser).
I am waiting for the newer IE 600 (and hoping it's not as weak as the IE900), but as a single DD (like Xelento), I think I will again miss sometimes what I can get with the VE EXT or IER-Z1R in high mid and high frequencies.. A great percentage of my tracks don't need to be so detailed over 9-10Khz, but some tracks do.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 25
My go to for many years was the Klipsch x10i until I found out there's a couple that are better :wink:

Moved to IE800 for many years and rotate it with the IE900 now.

I am a pretty big guy but I usually travel with MEST I and am able to sleep with them.

A smaller alternative might be Geek Wold GK10. They are outstanding for $49 and I think they would work well for you.

Or if you don't have a care in the world, go for the Traillii. If you can sleep through the thought of something happening to them while you sleep, they are darn near perfect for that and everything else. Not a hybrid, but on another level obviously.

Jul 10, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #12 of 25
I am currently using a Sennheiser IE900 and Beyerdynamic Xelento which are "thin" and comfortable for sleeping in planes, hotels and even home. Unfortunately they don't reach the sound quality of my IER Z1R and the Vision Ears EXT which are unfortunately too thick for such type of use (it really hurts my ears affter a couple of hours lying down and of course they are comfortable day time at office or for travelling)..

1) The IE900 is a perfect shape, but got broken 3 times in a bit more than 1 year.. so I gave up using it, and, I just ordered a IE600, but I don't expect so much about sound quality with it (It should more or less good as the Xelento).

2) The Xelento is not bad, though in high frequencies those are rather less detailed than IER Z1R or the VE EXT and a bit "muddy" ultra low frequencies too...

I love the tuning of the IER-Z1R so much, but, I imagine this should be mainly due to the perfect hybrid conception. The VE EXT is a very nice hybrid IEM too, also, very pleasing for sound quality (from ultra low to very frequencies like 15Kz), but both IEM are to definitely too thick yo be used lying down on the side in planes, hotels or even at home.

Does anybody know some made of "high end" Hybrid IEM that can be used lying down on the side ?
Basically, price doesn't really matter and can even be a cheap CHIFI IEM, if SQ is better than Xelento or even IE600/900.
LZ A7

Jul 10, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #13 of 25
Thank you.
Though, the form factor could be exactly what I am looking for, when I look to some frequency measurements, I am afraid that the sound tuning of this IEM cuts high frequencies probably too much for my taste ? I am not sure this graph is really reliable.
I would think, It looks to be somewhere near the Xelento tuning, with maybe less highs than the IE 600.
1657439743352.png

Jul 10, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #14 of 25
Just EQ them to the Harman target using the oratory1990's presets:

For the IE900:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ja5zy4axspxki4/Sennheiser IE900.pdf?dl=0

For the Xelento:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qn4g94iqw8gm9j2/Beyerdynamic Xelento (Harman Target).pdf?dl=0

A more cost-effective solution to further improve the performance of two phenomenal IEMs. :)

I already do it (Poweramp EQ) ... my IE900 is again out of order, but I liked the tuning with EQ. Even with Oratory1990 autoEQ PEQ, the Xelento offers less details in high frequencies than the VE EXT or IER-Z1R (Crinacle PEQ is a bit better to my ears)....
Actually, I use almost every night the Xelento with AutoEQ (with the BT receiver Ifi GO blu)..but if the IE 900 was fixed a 3rd time, I would prefer the IE900 over the Xelento.
I gave up to fix the IE 900 (as it is more than one year old now), so I am waiting for IE600 now, though I am afraid, it won't satisfy me, compared to the VE EXT or IER Z1R.

Jul 10, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #15 of 25
Thank you.
Though, the form factor could be exactly what I am looking for, when I look to some frequency measurements, I am afraid that the sound tuning of this IEM cuts high frequencies probably too much for my taste ? I am not sure this graph is really reliable.
I would think, It looks to be somewhere near the Xelento tuning, with maybe less highs than the IE 600.
1657439743352.png
For non- critical listening lying down by side on your bed works just fine. There's other filter included if you find the black filter lacking in high frequency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back