Is there life after Beyerdynamic DT880 (250ohm)? What next.... < $500
Mar 15, 2012 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

CasperCasper

New Head-Fier
Hello all, 

Long story short, I have self-diagnosed with the upgrade bug and am considering my next move for full size cans from the DT 880 (250ohm). 

I am new to the scene and after much research and perusing of forums, my setup consists of:

imac ~> HRT Music Streamer II + ~> Matrix m-stage ~> Beyer DT 880 (250ohm). * Loving the current setup and the DT 880's lived up to all the hype and exceeded some..

The Audio-technica AD 700 got me started on the journey and I am also loving collecting some IEM's (Yuin PK2, Vsonic GR06 & 01, Fiio E7).

I am very conscious of the diminishing returns scenario and I guess I am asking opinions for the best value cans up to $500 'ish that will be enough of a contrast to the DT 880's to be noticeable to the average noob, who has a penchant for clarity, soundstage and maybe something that picks up in the areas the DT 880 may lack (if any?).

I am building a collection of higher quality audio files, but the majority is still in MP3 format, so something forgiving would be nice.

As far as genre listened to, the bulk would be Rock (Kings of Leon, Rob Thomas, Zeppelin, Smashing Pumpkins..), Punkrock/pop (Ramones, Transplants, Blink 182, Jimmy Eat World, Henry Rollins) acoustic rock (Jack Johnson, John Mayer, Paolo Nutini, some electronic (Enigma, Ministry of Sound gear etc) and contemporary pop/rock.

In rough order of preference I am leaning towards -
Sennheiser HD 600/650
Grado 225/325i, RS2 (SR range?)
AKG K701/702 
Denon AHD2000/5000

Open/Closed is no problem, open to suggestions other than above, more interested in clarity, soundstage and something 'different' enough to the DT 880 to make the purchase worthwhile.

Many thanks, and look forward to your thoughts.. 

CC

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 18
Well, looks like you are one step ahead of me on this one, I am currently on the ATH-M50 & Sennheiser HD-595 and looking at Beyerdynamic DT880 / DT990 250 ohm(or beyond) for an upgrade...
normal_smile%20.gif

You might be interested in this thread too :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/601075/what-is-the-approximate-threshold-in-terms-of-price-for-headphones-for-stagnation-of-quality-improvement-for-320-kbps-encoded-mp3s

Also consider the HiFiMan HE-400/500 they too are nice reputed cans in my opinion, though I have not tried them.

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 18
Heya,

Denon D5000 would be a very good way to go.
Grado GS1000 is another interesting option for you.
Ultrasone PRO 2900 is yet another differing path to explore.

Ultimately though, I would suggest that you save your $500 and potentially sell your DT880's and put that money towards a Beyer T1 and call it a life-time.

Very best,

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #5 of 18
I'm kind of in your shoes, OP. Have had my DT 880 (250) for 3 years now so I've gotten very comfortable with their sound.
Based on what I've read, the Denons that you listed seem like a good bet. They're reputed to be warm and bassy--things that the 880 is not.

FWIW I took a more budget-conscious approach, and considered the <$100 Koss DJ100 and ~$120 Ultrasone 580. Closed, and I thought they might do better in the bass region. Would have gotten the Koss if it weren't unavailable in my country; I can run a quick A/B with the 580 if you like.

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #6 of 18
CasperCasper, I also own a Beyer DT880 250 ohms and two other headphones from your candidate list.  In my possession in addition to the DT880:  Sennheiser HD650 and a Grado SR225(non-i version).

The Grado SR225 are great for acoustic and rock.  But they're also fatiguing to listen to since they're pretty treble happy.  And the ear cushion-pad isn't comfortable for long sessions.  Despite all that, I value them as a complement headphone to my HD650.  The SR225 brings some excitement and aggressiveness that the Senns don't have.  Can listen to SR225 every once in a long awhile.

Compared to the Grado, the HD650 is very easy and casual to listen to.  Quite capable of long listening sessions due to its sound signature and comfort.  Better soundstage and bass than the SR225.  The Senns' presentation is sort like if you're 5-7 rows back in a live concert and you're sitting down.  Very polite.  Grado SR225, you're in the front row, standing up.  Upfront and in-your-face.  HD650 for rock, it's adequate...  just a very "polite" presentation.

If you can somehow audition or try out the headphones in your list, that would definitely help out in choosing your next pair headphones.  One caveat about my experience with DT880; I use the Beyers mostly for console gaming due to its soundstage, neutrality, and not too much bass.  I listen to music mostly with the HD650, with the SR225 serving as complement headphone.

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
Heya,

Denon D5000 would be a very good way to go.
Grado GS1000 is another interesting option for you.
Ultrasone PRO 2900 is yet another differing path to explore.

Ultimately though, I would suggest that you save your $500 and potentially sell your DT880's and put that money towards a Beyer T1 and call it a life-time.

Very best,

Yes, I am thinking D5000 ticks the boxes well of something that is inherently different enough to the DT880 to be a nice contrast (and more importantly, regularly used and appreciated).
Grado holds the same appeal for me as the Denons, however they really appear to bring out the love or hate wherever I read about them. 

I have considered the temptation of biting the bullet on HD800 or T1 (the T1's may be expensive, but the resultant divorce more so!!), but I am thinking along the lines that as this audio journey is still young I may get more out of 3 or so distinctly different great value (circa $500) cans as opposed to one high end set (circa $1500) that I may not be able to totally appreciate due to lack of exposure/experience? If this makes sense.

Out of curiosity, to noob ears would the T1 just sound like a slightly different/'better' DT880? (Especially, considering the reasonably humble setup of imac ~> hrt ms+ ~> matrix m-stage)
phandrew, I think you may have alluded to this, if I read you correctly?

Peshmerga thanks for the considered response, very helpful. Anyone have ideas where one can audition cans in Sydney, Oz?
I was blown away by the DT880's on FPS xbox 360 games through a Yamaha RX671 av receiver. The clarity and details such as a gun shell casing hitting the ground and rolling away amazed me! Although, gaming would be lucky to be 5% of use of these cans it is a very pleasurable 5% indeed!

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 18
When I was just starting out, I long debated the DT880 vs. HD600 question. I wanted a neutral can that played many genres of music well. I got the DT880s. At first, I was wowed. Then, they got boring. They were dry and kind of lifeless. Rock sounded boring on them. Then, I got the DT990s. They were an upgrade in my mind. They were more alive and fun. Most recently, I got the HD600s. They are glorious. I should have gotten them the first time. The HD600s are the headphone that the DT880s dream they could be.

That's my little story. I hope it helps you out a little.

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #10 of 18
I'm going to recommend the Denon AH-2000's , I just got them 2 days ago and even in unburned in state they are quite fun and the sub bass is incredible and deep. I own the 650's , DT880's 600ohm edition , Ultrasone HFI 780's , Grado SR 80i's but I think the Denon's are going to win me over big time.

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
When I was just starting out, I long debated the DT880 vs. HD600 question. I wanted a neutral can that played many genres of music well. I got the DT880s. At first, I was wowed. Then, they got boring. They were dry and kind of lifeless. Rock sounded boring on them. Then, I got the DT990s. They were an upgrade in my mind. They were more alive and fun. Most recently, I got the HD600s. They are glorious. I should have gotten them the first time. The HD600s are the headphone that the DT880s dream they could be.
That's my little story. I hope it helps you out a little.

I know it's a subjective thing, but this is what I was looking for exactly, similar experiences to learn from, Cheers.

I see the HD650's can be had for higher $300's where as the HD600's are in the low $300's. Current prices seem like excellent value for what I understand was a top end can not that long ago.. Was price a consideration in your purchase, or did you purposely choose the 600 on other qualities? Is the 650 generally considered a better can or a real upgrade from the 600?

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #13 of 18
Price was part of my equation. The DT880/250 was $250 and the HD600 was $325 at the time. Plus, I knew I was going to use a tube amp, and lots of reviews said the 880 was more neutral on a tube amp than the HD600. They were, to the point of being flat to my ears.

The HD600 vs HD650 debate is another personal opinion debate. One is not technically superior to the other. In fact, they are more similar than they are different. The HD600s are more neutral and sparkly, and the HD650s are more warm and dark. It's all a personal preference thing. I picked the HD600 based on sound and not price. When I made my purchase, the HD600s were $314 and the HD650s were $352. Price was not a factor.

I know it's a subjective thing, but I this is what I was looking for exactly, similar experiences to learn from, Cheers.

I see the HD650's can be had for higher $300's where as the HD600's are in the low $300's. Current prices seem like excellent value for what I understand was a top end can not that long ago.. Was price a consideration in your purchase, or did you purposely choose the 600 on other qualities? Is the 650 generally considered a better can or a real upgrade from the 600?

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
I'm going to recommend the Denon AH-2000's , I just got them 2 days ago and even in unburned in state they are quite fun and the sub bass is incredible and deep. I own the 650's , DT880's 600ohm edition , Ultrasone HFI 780's , Grado SR 80i's but I think the Denon's are going to win me over big time.

Thanks, I'm am definitely feeling the recurring love regarding the bass quality of the Denon's. Being a reformed basshead (only in the late teen years), that quality is appealing. It is also appeals due to the fact that the DT880's are not that.

I will likely go the Denon D2000/D5000 route and then eventually the HD600/650, or do you think from your first hand experience the HD650 and DT880 are basically doing the same thing in your collection?

Also, as mentioned previously the pricing differential between HD600 & HD650 is only about $50, so I base the Senn comparison primarily on sonic suitability, whereas the D2000 & D5000 is a $200 difference so I would be considering value in this decision. What are your thoughts as an owner of these cans, 600 vs 650 and D2000 vs D5000 ?

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
Price was part of my equation. The DT880/250 was $250 and the HD600 was $325 at the time. Plus, I knew I was going to use a tube amp, and lots of reviews said the 880 was more neutral on a tube amp than the HD600. They were, to the point of being flat to my ears.
The HD600 vs HD650 debate is another personal opinion debate. One is not technically superior to the other. In fact, they are more similar than they are different. The HD600s are more neutral and sparkly, and the HD650s are more warm and dark. It's all a personal preference thing. I picked the HD600 based on sound and not price. When I made my purchase, the HD600s were $314 and the HD650s were $352. Price was not a factor.

Greatly appreciate your input gained from your experiences hodgjy, cheers.

I think I can't go too wrong with either Senn, but public opinion does seem to lean towards the 600 and it probably suits my musical tastes better.

It is heartening that the general concensus I am hearing in regards to cans is that expensive/higher model # doesn't necessarily = better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back