Is there Headphones that will be good for all genres?
Jan 20, 2014 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

nirra

New Head-Fier
I got recommneded Creative Live and Grado sr60i

The problem is the i listen to rock, pop and rap and the grado is not the best for rap and the creative not the best for rock

is there headphones that will be good for all genres?

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #2 of 13

The problem is the i listen to rock, pop and rap and the grado is not the best for rap and the creative not the best for rock

The Beyerdyanmic DT 880 and DT 990 usually work well with everything

what do you not like about the sr60i with rap [that bass I'm sure]

and with the Cal what don't you like about it?

Although tbh NOTHING but a Grado sounds like a Grado, so if you like Grado's with rock you might be stuck with them as nothing will sound like one with Rock Music

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 13
  The Beyerdyanmic DT 880 and DT 990 usually work well with everything

what do you not like about the sr60i with rap [that bass I'm sure]

and with the Cal what don't you like about it?

Although tbh NOTHING but a Grado sounds like a Grado, so if you like Grado's with rock you might be stuck with them as nothing will sound like one with Rock Music

Just people said it won't be suitable with Rap
I did not try them 

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 13
  Just people said it won't be suitable with Rap
I did not try them 

Well the Grado's have a noticeable bass Roll off, but you should listen to it your self, trust your own ears more than what people say.

People say a lot of stupid things without actually having first hand experince 

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #5 of 13
  Well the Grado's have a noticeable bass Roll off, but you should listen to it your self, trust your own ears more than what people say.

People say a lot of stupid things without actually having first hand experince 

I dont have the option to try them out :\
kinda need to trust opnions here

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 13
  I dont have the option to try them out :\
kinda need to trust opnions here

ahh then buy a Logitech UE 6000, it's about $115 on eBay and maybe Amazon,

what's great about the UE 6000, is unlike the DT 990 and 880 it doesn't need an amp

the UE 6000 has an amp built into it, with the amp on the UE 6000 is bass heavy fun and GREAT for edm, with the amp off the UE 6000 is more balanced and airy and great for Rock

I owned it for about a month, and I think for the money [and the fact it needs no amp] it would be a great headphone if your not able to shell out $175 for a DT 990 and an Amp 

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 13
If you want a pair of headphones that will be good with all genres, it will be relatively flat in frequency response, or have a slight tilt in the bass.  Essentially, there is little to no bass roll off that can be bumped a little.  Mids and highs would be in line.  Depending on listening preferences, the upper-mids/lower-highs may or may not be recessed (some people don't like this area of the spectrum flat as it causes thin vocals).  Then you also have to account for the idea that modern songs are more compressed than the past rivals.  This can create unrealistic boosts in the sound which I believe is why a slightly toned down treble is helpful as they will be more forgiving.  So technically, not only is the person who listens important, the notion of time, when the song was released and how it was mastered, will impact it.  So is there a signature that will suite everyone and everything?  No.  Is there a balance that will make just enough compromises on either end that will be enough for a single person, that's more likely.  Does this all sound confusing?  Yes, yes it is.

The thing is that a lot of this weighs in with the person listening to the headphones.  It won't be Mshenay or myself that will need to know, it's Nirra that needs to know themselves.  Part of the mission of the audiophile is to figure out what he/she likes so they can avoid what they know they don't like.  There will be a nice set of headphones that works well with all genres, but then you go off and add yourself to the picture and that will change.  Finding the perfect headphone for you can be a long journey. 

As headphones get closer to being a jack-of-all-trades, they get quite expensive:
  1. NAD VISO HP50
  2. Bowers & Wilkins P7
  3. Westone W4
  4. Phonak PFE 1xx + green filters

The last in the list uses filters which allow you to customize the sound to your liking.  It may be a good safe route. 

Mshenay stated that the UE 6000 may fit your needs.  If the 6000 is anything like the 9000 it's going to be a little dark for some things.  If you turn on the internal electronics, you get a nice v-shaped signature that would be horrible for classical.  It may work well for rock, pop, and rap though.  Those three genres really only do need a slight v-shape to work well.  Something like a Phiaton MS500 Bridge or V-Moda M-100 would work well with those 3 genres.  In the lower price ranges, it's really tough to find a headphone with the good bass extension you'd need for something like rap or rock. 

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #8 of 13

edit: never mind, this topic is in the portable headphone section :)

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 13
  If you want a pair of headphones that will be good with all genres, it will be relatively flat in frequency response, or have a slight tilt in the bass.  Essentially, there is little to no bass roll off that can be bumped a little.  Mids and highs would be in line.  Depending on listening preferences, the upper-mids/lower-highs may or may not be recessed (some people don't like this area of the spectrum flat as it causes thin vocals).  Then you also have to account for the idea that modern songs are more compressed than the past rivals.  This can create unrealistic boosts in the sound which I believe is why a slightly toned down treble is helpful as they will be more forgiving.  So technically, not only is the person who listens important, the notion of time, when the song was released and how it was mastered, will impact it.  So is there a signature that will suite everyone and everything?  No.  Is there a balance that will make just enough compromises on either end that will be enough for a single person, that's more likely.  Does this all sound confusing?  Yes, yes it is.

The thing is that a lot of this weighs in with the person listening to the headphones.  It won't be Mshenay or myself that will need to know, it's Nirra that needs to know themselves.  Part of the mission of the audiophile is to figure out what he/she likes so they can avoid what they know they don't like.  There will be a nice set of headphones that works well with all genres, but then you go off and add yourself to the picture and that will change.  Finding the perfect headphone for you can be a long journey. 

As headphones get closer to being a jack-of-all-trades, they get quite expensive:
  1. NAD VISO HP50
  2. Bowers & Wilkins P7
  3. Westone W4
  4. Phonak PFE 1xx + green filters

The last in the list uses filters which allow you to customize the sound to your liking.  It may be a good safe route. 

Mshenay stated that the UE 6000 may fit your needs.  If the 6000 is anything like the 9000 it's going to be a little dark for some things.  If you turn on the internal electronics, you get a nice v-shaped signature that would be horrible for classical.  It may work well for rock, pop, and rap though.  Those three genres really only do need a slight v-shape to work well.  Something like a Phiaton MS500 Bridge or V-Moda M-100 would work well with those 3 genres.  In the lower price ranges, it's really tough to find a headphone with the good bass extension you'd need for something like rap or rock. 

Yea it is a little dark, but it's small. Portable and doesn't need an amp. For $115 it's a good bargin. I used an XB 700 for Classical :/ I was happy with it when I had it.

if he is looking at the CAL and Grado Sr60i I have a feeling his budget is low

although OP what is your Budget :xf_eek: 

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 13
Denon Music Maniacs AH D600.   They handle all types of music.  Shockingly good for the price you can get them for now.  Listed for 549.00 and Amazon has then for 268.00.  Some Best Buy Magnolia stores have them to Demo.  I got BB to price match Amazons price.  Only negative they are for sitting down listening to music and not really mobile.  They are large but extremely comfortable.
Besides my HD 650's they are my favorite headphones.

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 13
  Denon Music Maniacs AH D600.   They handle all types of music.  Shockingly good for the price you can get them for now.  Listed for 549.00 and Amazon has then for 268.00.  Some Best Buy Magnolia stores have them to Demo.  I got BB to price match Amazons price.  Only negative they are for sitting down listening to music and not really mobile.  They are large but extremely comfortable.

For $300 there are... a LOT of options

I think our best bet would be to Wait for our Orignal Poster to let us know what his price range is

aditionally, OP do you need the isolation of a closed back headphone, or can you use Open Backs. You have an open back and a closed back listed, both in the same price range... 

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #12 of 13
  Yea it is a little dark, but it's small. Portable and doesn't need an amp. For $115 it's a good bargin. I used an XB 700 for Classical :/ I was happy with it when I had it.

if he is looking at the CAL and Grado Sr60i I have a feeling his budget is low

although OP what is your Budget :xf_eek: 

For $300 there are... a LOT of options

I think our best bet would be to Wait for our Orignal Poster to let us know what his price range is

aditionally, OP do you need the isolation of a closed back headphone, or can you use Open Backs. You have an open back and a closed back listed, both in the same price range... 

how is audio techinica m50s?

are they good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back