Is There Anything Good About Men?
Aug 21, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The behavior that you're describing evolved long after man left the "tribe survival first" stage.

You describe it as "evolving" this would seem to mean that the process of evolution and it's influence on behavior does not stop at some pre determined point in our past history.

Edit. One thing that is good about men is the wide variation in characteristics as seen spread across most bell-curves. Variation is one of the corner stones of any evolutionary process. Another good thing about men is being able to write ones name in urine in the snow.

Aug 21, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #17 of 42
Nor does it imply that it never shifts or changes.
I wear glasses. I haven't yet been eaten by a predator.

Aug 21, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #19 of 42
Somebody needs to sing the bass part.
cool.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somebody needs to sing the bass part.
cool.gif

Big Daddy Mars?

Aug 21, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Big Daddy Mars?

Princess Vespa.
tongue.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Princess Vespa.
tongue.gif

This is not about religion; but it was cool that Mel Brooks had Princess Vespa as a non-Catholic for a change!

....he seemed to have more fun picking on Catholics.
tongue.gif

I believe Vespa means "WASP"!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 22, 2007 at 9:10 AM Post #23 of 42
Aug 22, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #24 of 42
We have to remember to go back to our "Marketing 101" books and remember the big highlighted paragraph on page one which says something like: "To sell to women, who control the purse strings on 80% of the daily purchases; make them feel good about themselves. To make them feel really good about themselves, make the guys look stupid in comparison."

We aren't stupid or inferior guys! They just want to sell more stuff to our wives or girlfriends!

Aug 22, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the New York Times - that's exactly what I expect from it and why I don't read it.

The New York Times reported on an address given to the APA. The ideas espoused don't belong to the paper.

- - -

I was watching Heroes last night and I heard a line paraphrasing an idea I'm familiar with, yet it irked me all the same: The default scientific position is skepticism. I wish it were instead neutrality. Because skepticism is held in such high scientific regard, I think people tend to forget that it's possible to be skeptical and irrational at the same time. I had a psychology track early on in college, and I abandoned it because I think the field barely qualifies as a science. That doesn't mean I need to reject it or its theories out of hand. Many of them may be crap; I don't feel that this one is. Baumeister connects some truisms and interprets them. There's definitely room to disagree with his interpretation, but he doesn't generally speculate on speculation. If you disagree with his interpretation, please offer at least some kind of alternative. Be sure to take into account what he's interpreting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Modern sentiment because I'm here to observe it. I don't speculate on the history of the species because I have no clue what drove the caveman, and neither do the experts who claim to know. From what I observe every single day, money and power are the primary motivation in both species (as can be evidenced quite obviously by men in many areas and by women who marry and/or are attracted to those with power and wealth). Those who deny such exists are those that feel power and wealth is unattainable (not an absolute, of course).

I read the document. It's babble, and pure speculation. Well argued and fleshed out, but babble all the same.

You really think a biological creature evolved to seek out money and power just to have them for their own sake? You're going to have to flesh out your theory a little bit. So far it's reading pretty much like babble. Even if you could argue that simple money and power are prime motivators for both men and women in today's societies, by ignoring the human beings who made up most of the people who ever lived, and by ignoring every time period but your own, you've made your theory kind of useless.

Men and women both want money and power because that's what you observe. So? Then what? Among other things, it rules out the possibility that modern society has played a role in changing how humans operate. Are you really saying that reality is no more than what you and others can personally observe? And are you forgetting that there are tribal societies alive and kicking today?

Money and power are a means to an end, in terms of survival. What intricacies make up the complex gray area connecting money and power to survival may be up for grabs, but choosing not to speculate on them makes your theory no more robust than those of people who choose to speculate. And last time I checked, most scientific theories start with pure speculation. Speculation gets us somewhere. Not speculating, quite simply, doesn't.

Overall I fail to see how choosing to take less into account when making claims about existence makes those claims more worth having. I always thought ignoring data and phenomena, in scientific terms, was seeing what you want to see.

Aug 22, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overall I fail to see how choosing to take less into account when making claims about existence makes those claims more worth having. I always thought ignoring data and phenomena, in scientific terms, was seeing what you want to see.

You ignore data if you have reason to believe that the data is unreliable.

EyeAmEye's position is understandable. He doesn't believe that the data regarding primitive cultures is reliable as there there are no/few first hand reports of how primitive culture operated. Enduring record keeping had not been invented yet. Even if it had, it may not be reliable. (See: Accounts of the Middle/Dark Ages originating from the Renaissance period.)

As no records exist, and it is impossible to travel back in time to make proper observations and sociological studies, theories on human behavior relating to those time periods are just unprovable conjecture. Plausible and backed by hard data, sure. But not much more.

So, it's reasonable for EyeAmEye to believe that these conjectures are unreliable as data and to discard them from the analysis in favor of more concrete information.

Aug 22, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You ignore data if you have reason to believe that the data is unreliable.

EyeAmEye's position is understandable. He doesn't believe that the data regarding primitive cultures is reliable as there there are no/few first hand reports of how primitive culture operated. Enduring record keeping had not been invented yet. Even if it had, it may not be reliable. (See: Accounts of the Middle/Dark Ages originating from the Renaissance period.)

As no records exist, and it is impossible to travel back in time to make proper observations and sociological studies, theories on human behavior relating to those time periods are just unprovable conjecture. Plausible and backed by hard data, sure. But not much more.

So, it's reasonable for EyeAmEye to believe that these conjectures are unreliable as data and to discard them from the analysis in favor of more concrete information.

Baumeister hardly relies solely on speculation on how men, women and culture were in primitive periods. He bases his theories on numerous quantitative studies done recently, and on typical roles men and women have filled throughout history. I will take plausible and backed by hard data over pseudo-scientific skepticism and loosey goose theory based on personal observation any day. I don't think anyone is claiming that these types of ideas are anything more than our best working theories, but to reject each and every one of them out of hand as psychobabble gets us nowhere. We have the option of either half understanding human existence or understanding it based solely on our personal experience in whatever time we happen live in. It seems kind of obvious to me which has a greater shot of understanding the bigger picture.

Aug 22, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really think a biological creature evolved to seek out money and power just to have them for their own sake? You're going to have to flesh out your theory a little bit. So far it's reading pretty much like babble. Even if you could argue that simple money and power are prime motivators for both men and women in today's societies, by ignoring the human beings who made up most of the people who ever lived, and by ignoring every time period but your own, you've made your theory kind of useless.

Men and women both want money and power because that's what you observe. So? Then what? Among other things, it rules out the possibility that modern society has played a role in changing how humans operate. Are you really saying that reality is no more than what you and others can personally observe? And are you forgetting that there are tribal societies alive and kicking today?

Money and power are a means to an end, in terms of survival. What intricacies make up the complex gray area connecting money and power to survival may be up for grabs, but choosing not to speculate on them makes your theory no more robust than those of people who choose to speculate. And last time I checked, most scientific theories start with pure speculation. Speculation gets us somewhere. Not speculating, quite simply, doesn't.

Money is a manmade method of determining power, so, no, there was no biological evolution to seek it out. Power is the key, and power drives every species on the globe (probably in the universe as well
icon10.gif
). The old saying "absolute power corrupts absolutely" is "absolutely" false. It's a biological imperative to seek power, but it simply isn't feasible to the masses, because the vast majority were born with none to start and little to no realistic means of attaining it. Facing this reality, we assimilate ourselves and become complacent. Self-denial is the next process, as we convince ourselves we never wanted nor sought such power. Look closely at how people operate and it becomes fairly obvious. Everything we do in life is a measure of power, our jobs, home, car, spouse, children, possessions, general accomplishments, etc. Right here on Head-Fi we have a term called "upgradeitis" which in a small way is a measure of power (have people here not gloated and boasted, and had numerous fights over their "rigs"?). When we can't afford the "upgrade", we learn to be happy, to varying degrees, with what we have, and most will eventually convince themselves they don't want the upgrade at all. I don't buy it for a second
wink.gif

There isn't a shred, not a spec of dust of "hard" evidence of ancient culture motivations. We have evidence such cultures existed, but no evidence of their motivations. Whatever evidence is claimed on these matters is complete speculation, and molded to mesh with the theory of the researcher/scientist, etc. The only difference between them and me is a degree hanging on the wall. Take that for what you will, I don't put much stock in it personally.

I trust my own senses, and make my own observations. You can disregard it if you feel otherwise. (and obviously do)
icon10.gif

Aug 22, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

The old saying "absolute power corrupts absolutely" is "absolutely" false. It's a biological imperative to seek power

I don't understand your logic. How does an urge to power as a biological imperative exclude the corrupting influence of power? If you are really claiming absolute power does not currput, I respectfully suggest you get a better historical perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back