Is there anything better then the AT M50's?
Apr 12, 2012 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

csf101

Head-Fier
Hello everyone.

After getting heavy recommended the AT M50 from here, I decided to buy it of Amazon. Yet as soon as I put it on, I was disappointed. The sound quality was okay at best. I mean hell, I used to own a Skullcandy Hesh Headphone (which is probably one of the most hated headphones on here) and I didn't hear a $100.00 difference. No, not even close. I even used music strait from CDs. I was very dissatisfied with it.
/minirant.

Okay....now I'm looking for a pair of headphones that offers great sound quality and bass response for music like Rock, Heavy Metal, Hip Hop, Rap, and other similar genres. Leakage and Noise Cancellation aren't a huge issue. I don't even care much about the style, so as long as it's wearable in public. I honestly don't want it priced anymore then $180.00, pretty much around the same price as I got the ATs. ($155).
Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Apr 12, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 46
Oh wow, I knew I forgot something, lol.

Most of my music is streamed from Pandora and from CDs. I usually have my Headphones plugged into my Phone and PC, but I'm getting one of my friends Denon Amps which is going to be awesome. :'D

Apr 12, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 46
First of all,
Headphone performance does not match price increase.
If you pay 2x more, you won't necessarily get twice the performance.
Second, maybe your ears are not accustomed to them. If you've used a certain pair for a long time you'll get accustomed to that sound signature and others may not sound so good.
Third, do you know what to look for in terms of sound quality?

Apr 12, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 46
First of all,
Headphone performance does not match price increase.
If you pay 2x more, you won't necessarily get twice the performance.
Second, maybe your ears are not accustomed to them. If you've used a certain pair for a long time you'll get accustomed to that sound signature and others may not sound so good.
Third, do you know what to look for in terms of sound quality?

I know that, I never said that. I just said for the price, I find it pretty disappointing for the sound that they offer.

I honestly don't want to get used to the lack of bass in these. I'd probably cry listening to another pair of headphones in the same price range.

I guess something that has nice (but not over powering) bass, good highs and lows, and decent sound separation for the most part.

Oh and thanks for the reply Defender0fAloha. I'll look into those. :)

Apr 12, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #7 of 46

Quote:
I honestly don't want to get used to the lack of bass in these. I'd probably cry listening to another pair of headphones in the same price range.
I guess something that has nice (but not ever powering) bass, good highs and lows, and decent sound separation for the most part.

Something of a Basshead pair of cans that's SUPER easy to drive?  Try the D1100s.

Apr 12, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 46
Try Ultrasone models, to mention a couple: HFI-580, HFI-680
nice instrument separation and clarity..they dont miss a beat. 

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #9 of 46

Quote:
Most of my music is streamed from Pandora and from CDs.

Pandora might be your weak link here.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora

Pandora on the Web plays 64k AAC+

That being said, closed headphones generally give you better bass than open phones, I know that much.  At your price range I'm sure many people will say you won't need an amp, but I guess an amp can't hurt?  And I have no real recommendations here but I just wanted to point those few things out. 

Happy hunting

Apr 12, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #11 of 46
The M-Audio Q40 is definitely the best value for a basshead, with the Ultrasone HFI-580 being another good choice. Something to be warned about with Ultrasones is their "S-Logic" system, which places the sound a little bit away from your head. It's a little hard to get used to for some.

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #14 of 46
For my two cents I'd like to say that these are some quality headphones listed above me.  You may well want to take a look at some open backed headphones. You should be able to find a pair of Sennheiser HD 595s in your price range

Users who are viewing this thread

Back