Is there any way to fix these headphones?
Sep 8, 2015 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ThSGM

New Head-Fier
I bought the Jaycar/Digitech Pro Monitor headphones, which were somewhat of a hot item in these forums a few years ago. However, for some reason (I'm not sure whether this is my fault or a manufacturing issue), the plastic attachment holding the cups broke. Unfortunately, I can no longer find the headphones on the Jaycar website, and I assume they're no longer selling them. 

I'm wondering if there is any way these headphones can be fixed. I tried something like Gorilla Glue, but it just can't stand up to the stress that's applied to the plastic when the headphones are opened. I've created an imgur album with lots of pictures and descriptions.

Thanks!

Sep 8, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #2 of 5
Contact Jaycar, they may have parts or can direct you to someone (manufacturer?) who does. I'd also try Crazy Glue, for this application it will work better if it's the type of plastic Crazy Glue reacts with. Good luck.

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #3 of 5
The Jaycar's are the same cups and drivers as the Fisher FA-003 and Brainwavz HM5. Maybe you could find a broken pair of one of them and then make one headphone from two broken ones :)

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #4 of 5
The Jaycar's are the same cups and drivers as the Fisher FA-003 and Brainwavz HM5. Maybe you could find a broken pair of one of them and then make one headphone from two broken ones
smily_headphones1.gif

Perhaps. Looking around, it looks like I'm not the only one with this issue. 

1. Wanted: Fisher FA-003 Fork
2. Reddit thread looking for a fork
3. A comment on Reddit asking about how to prevent the fork from splitting
4. A thread suggesting 3d printed replacement forks

After I saw this, I went back to my broken set, and looked at the fork that was still attached and good. Actually upon closer inspection, I could see a small crack on both sides of the plastic as well, so that fork I would not trust to last much longer. To me, this confirms that it's an issue with very poor engineering. 

Really poor purchase decision. 

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #5 of 5
Well, gluing it is definitely not going to help. You'll have to find a way to strengthen the forks. Maybe some thin pieces of metal, bend them to down the side over the craked area and onto the circular piece, then screw them on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back