Is there any fluid I can use to remove earwax from deep inside a custom IEM?
Mar 10, 2012 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mr_magicfingers

New Head-Fier
I have the correct tool for cleaning my IEM's, which I use regularly but last week I noticed the bass not being there on one of them. A bright light and magnifier shows what looks to be a bit of wax right at the bottom of one tube in the monitors. I'm guessing the option is either something to poke down there, which isn't the best idea or I wondered if I could use something like 100% isopropyl alcohol to soak it out. IPA is generally safe on electrical stuff for cleaning (we used to use it when I worked offshore to clean stuff that has got saltwater inside it) but i'm not sure if it'll damage the driver in an IEM. Monitors are by Hearyourself.com (now alienears.com) and I've had them for a couple of years.

Is this a reasonable option, is there anything else or should I send them back to the manufacturers. This last option is bound to be expensive so I'm reluctant unless absolutely necessary.

thanks for your help.

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 8
Try using an old tooth brush to flick it out and good old fashioned blowing.

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 8
Well, I've solved it for now. I took some fine wire and braided it together then doubled it over to make a loop. this fitted snugly into the tube and by rotating it and drawing it out gently I cleared the wax out, or at least most of it, without damaging the driver inside. So now I have bass back in my head :) Still interested to know if there's anything you can put in to safely dissolve wax without damaging the electronics.

I'll be taking much more care over the IEM's from now on and suggest to everyone that uses them they clean them regularly so you don't get this problem.

Cheers.

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #8 of 8
+1 or you could get those hearing aid dehumidifier jars

Quote:
Did you see this thread? 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/569243/serene-hearing-aid-custom-iem-dryer-and-freshener-review

Users who are viewing this thread

Back