Is there any DAC/Amp "all-in-one" ?
Jun 16, 2007 at 6:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Norn

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

For now, I 've an AKG 701 with X-Fi Platinium (as my computer is the source for music ; thx to EAC
smily_headphones1.gif
). I was wondering if the X-Fi Platinium is able to drive correctly the AKG. In fact the sound for me is already fine, but if I can improve it, I'm in !

So, after read some forums, it seems that external soundcard is the good choice (no electronic parasite, portable, ...) with a descent amp to improve the whole quality.

And finally the question is : is there any external soundcard (USB or Firewire) with a built-in amp which can be better than my actual solution ?

Jun 16, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 17
The HeadRoom Total BitHead can now be had for $150 -- down from $200 only a couple of months back I think. It's a simple dac/amp that even has a crossfeed switch. If you're looking for a reasonable, cheap solution, it might be what you're looking for.

Jun 16, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 17
Thanks for your answer, I didn't know this stuff but it looks interesting. But what about the E-MU or M-AUDIO USB/Firewire products ? Have they enough output power to drive a headphone ?

Jun 16, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 17
EMU 0404 USB has classA amp built in. It has digital coax and optical in/out so you could feed it digitally from the X-Fi, or you can use the USB and have two soundcards to choose from on your PC.

I see some people drive Sennheiser HD650 with the EMU amp so it should drive your headphones fine. It's a nice sound neutral amp but if you want a deeper bottom end then I would look elsewhere. I have an EMU 0404 and an Audiolab 8000A amp and the Audiolab gives a deeper bottom end compared to the EMU amp but the EMU has more detailed mids and highs. It's a matter of preference.

Jun 16, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 17
Apogee Mini Dac might be suitable for you. It has either firewire or usb option as well, but the price is high. I do not own one, but I would love to get this dac or its next gen
smily_headphones1.gif
some day. According to reviews here, it is considered to be on the same level with DAC1 and Lavry and it is preferred over them most of the time... I wish I had the funds for it...
frown.gif

Jun 17, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #6 of 17
The PreSonus Central Station has two separate built-in amps. Check the threads on the Central Station- it has a cult following here. I've had one for nearly 18 months and remain happy.

Jun 17, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #8 of 17
or better yet, Corda Opera XD

You know you will eventually upgrade to that level XD

Jun 19, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #12 of 17
I don't know what your budget is but I just got a Dared Mp5 headphone tube amp (+$350)that has a DAC built in and connects to the computer via a USB connection. I am completely happy listening to my AKG k701 headphones. Not the most portable rig but great for grooving while at your desk.

Check out htis thread

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154365

it is rather long but lots of great information. I think there is eve a post in there that provides a link to the technical documents on the DAC chip in the amp.

Any way it makes great reading even if you don't go that direction.
Cheers,
R

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PreSonus Central Station has two separate built-in amps. Check the threads on the Central Station- it has a cult following here. I've had one for nearly 18 months and remain happy.

seconded.. I had planned on using it only for the DAC initially, but I've been so happy with it I have been able to resist buying a standalone amp so far
wink.gif

just be aware that there is no USB input, so you would want to keep your XFI to use it's digital out as a transport to the CS.

also it is about the size of a slim home dvd player so its not quite portable.

Aug 7, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EMU 0404 USB has classA amp built in. It has digital coax and optical in/out so you could feed it digitally from the X-Fi, or you can use the USB and have two soundcards to choose from on your PC.

Doesn't the sound card affect the optical output to dac / amp ?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back