Is there any audiophile plug for iphone
Apr 21, 2008 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

NumpXP

New Head-Fier
I've been doing some diy IC. i really satisfied with the results. so i'm gonna build an adaptor from my iphone to triple fi. is there any plug that's as good as neutrik/switchcraft that's also compatible with iphone jack? It's going to be as

i don't want to use lod or amps because it's just for quick and fun listening while on the way.

thanks in advance.

Jun 3, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 13
has anyone managed to come up with anything that works here? Ive heard of people hacking away at the connectors with knives and such but is there a stock DIY connector (1/8" obviously) that can fit into the "receptacle" of an iphone????? PLEASE let me know!

Jun 3, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 13
what's the diameter of the recess? there's a plug that probably fits.

Jun 3, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 13
arg i dont have an iphone yet (its coming
smily_headphones1.gif
). any iphone users care to take a couple seconds to measure the diameter of the opening? perhaps the approximate depth of the recess would be good too, but not nearly so important

Jun 5, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 13
just grab a pair of ibuds, it needs to be as small as the outer insulation of the plug, probably a bit smaller because it is a snug fit with the plastic.

Jun 5, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 13
any known matches to that approximate diameter? i dont know of any DIY 1/8" connectors that are THAT small.....i think the neutrik NY something or other (small and silver 1/8" connectors) are the smallest that I have used, and they are still definitely much too big for the opening here!

Jun 5, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemar42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just grab a pair of ibuds, it needs to be as small as the outer insulation of the plug, probably a bit smaller because it is a snug fit with the plastic.

yeah just hack into ibuds, they for sure work

Jun 5, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 13
i dont think thats what mikemar was implying, i think he meant moreso just use the outer diameter of an ipod bud jack to get an idea of the size you need to fit? or maybe i misunderstood him, but anyhow as with most DIY recabling id really prefer to not need to splice into an existing connector (ie just hack off the ipod connector and splice my headphones onto that). It would be FAR preferable to find an aftermarket DIY connector that simply fits the iphone jack...i sWORE someone knew of one or two that did at some point....maybe im mistaken tho

Jun 5, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 13
how about using a regular plug and using heat shrink tube instead of screwing on the metal connector tube. Its not as pretty, but it might work.

Jun 5, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #10 of 13
Hi there.

There are a couple of adapters available. Griffen is £8 for a stereo to stereo 3.5mm that I use with SA6 and others.

The Shure unit has a microphone built in and a longer cable.

monster do an adapter with microphone unit too.

I searched for a plug that could be used on a headphone leas but cam up with nothing US or UK.

There will be one soon but until then the Griffen is my fav.

Jun 5, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #11 of 13
@ tcp, COULD work, but i dont even think its so much the barrel/housing thats the issue. its the actual physical rim/bezel part just above the threads where it "spreads" on most connectors (between the threads for the barrel and the actual tip itself) that would be the issue i think

Jun 5, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #13 of 13
oh true, i guess the real problem is the circular plate at the base of the jack. with a grinding wheel that plate could be made a little smaller, or as thejonser suggested, just go buy a new iphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back